The Avengers Roll of the Pyms in Avengers

Or Asian - depending on whether you're an Ultimates or a 616 reader.

Wasp is one of those characters that can be whatever.

Or Asian - depending on whether you're an Ultimates or a 616 reader.

Ultimates is pretty awful. I'm fine with Ultimate Nick Fury because they basically created that character for Samuel L Jackson. Same with Michael Clarke Duncan as the Kingpin...there's nobody 6'5"-6'6" and well over 300 lbs who can act as well as he can; he was the only choice for the part.

I think recasting the race of a major character just to do it is lame. I mean if it were a case where it's a difficult character to cast, and there's someone of another race who nails it perfectly, I'm fine with that. But wasp is physically one of the easiest characters to cast...there's no reason to cast her asian or hispanic just to do it.

If Wasp has a meaty role, then they will probably cast a seasoned actress. But I doubt she will, so she could very well be Eva Longoriaesque eye candy and nothing more.

If Wasp has a meaty role, then they will probably cast a seasoned actress. But I doubt she will, so she could very well be Eva Longoriaesque eye candy and nothing more.

I'd rather see someone like Kristen Bell, who fits the role.

I think recasting the race of a major character just to do it is lame. I mean if it were a case where it's a difficult character to cast, and there's someone of another race who nails it perfectly, I'm fine with that. But wasp is physically one of the easiest characters to cast...there's no reason to cast her asian or hispanic just to do it.
It doesn't have to be "just to do it" though, they could have open auditions for women of any race to come in. Then they just pick whoever does the best job playing what they're looking for and possibly the best chemistry with the actor playing Hank if he's already cast, regardless of race. And reducing Wasp to "eye candy" would be ******ed, it's time to get some females who are actually interesting in these movies.

Isn't all this casting/Asian/Caucasian stuff more for the casting thread? Unless her ethnicity has something to do with how they're introduced, or their origin story and whether they have one, or what the importance of their role (cameo scientists, active team members, scientists involved in the bulk of the movie). I reckon we need a poll you know

After seeing Iron Man, I'm convinced that we need to have at least Wasp. Johannson wasn't very good as Widow, very dull, very boring IMO. She was the weakest aspect of IM2 (which otherwise was all around great). We need a stronger female lead.

Plus, I don't think Whedon will turn down a chance to give Nathan Fillion the Hank Pym role.

I don't think Widow was weak, she just wasn't given much to do. Scarlett herself was just fine as the kinda quiet badass and Whedon will probably jump at the chance to do more with her character. So I'm not worried.

I disagree. The character was poorly written (pretty much the strong female cliche) and Johannson seemed to be entirely phoning in her performance. I think they should cut Widow from the Avengers. Let her be Fury's eyes and ears in other aspects of the Marvel-verse, but keep her out of the Avengers, because Whedon + the cliche she's been established to be = a ridiculously unnecessary amount of focus going on Widow and some pretty stupid one liners to boot.

Well I liked that they kept her a little quiet and reserved, because typically the strong female cliche is some masculine chick bossing the men around and they just shut up and listen. She was definitely one of the few lowpoints of the movie as she wasn't necessary but I wouldn't say that Johannson's fault at all. I thought she did good with what she was given and there's tons of stuff that got cut I'm sure, so maybe I didn't see enough of her to judge. But she did her notary scenes like a notary and badass scenes like a badass so I was pretty satisfied. And was there a hint of a russian accent there when yelling at Hammer?

I don't mind if she's left out of The Avengers, she's not really a necessity. But she could be Fury's wing(wo)man, doing his fieldwork and retrieving people. She may fare better in a solo movie too, but who knows

I don't know, when I see her in contrast to Paltrow, who gave a very down to earth, realistic performance. Strong, without forcing it, very natural...then compare that to Johannson who was just a walking, talking cliche...I just think it was such a sharp contrast, that I just couldn't get into Widow. I'd like to see them do with Janet what they did with Pepper. Make her real.

War Machine and Black Widoow need only be in the Avengers movie in cameo or reference form. And folks can probably quit counting them as members in the first film. I saw ScarJo on one of the morning tv shows yesterday. When asked when we might see her character again, she said she didn't know. Possibly Iron Man 3 or the Avengers, she hadn't heard anything yet. Now you know if she was in fact one of the Avengers, which starts shooting next Febuary, she would be well aware of it. And talking about it.
I need to hear me some Hank and Jan news! Hank needs to already be Giant Man in Avengers. With mentions and flashbacks of his Ant Man past.
So the Ant Man movie that's coming out after the Avengers can show his 'Ant' origin and story. Whith him becoming Giant Man and passing on the Ant mantle to Scott Lange.

I wonder if they will keep Wasp as a girly girl who is boy crazy. I've been reading the early Avengers issues and it seems she is always fawning over Hank or Thor. Could be funny to show her advances always being turned down by Hank until she starts flirting with Thor (who is oblivious), and Hank gets jealous. Seems like it would be a funny running joke. This would get the audience behind the couple which would ultimately make the abuse thing way more tragic if they ever went with it.

Last edited:
For a solo movie, playing up the angle of Jan flirting with other male characters in an effort to get Hank to notice her rather than ignore her and focus on his work would be a good way to go. There just is not the time or reason to have that much focus on one aspect of a relationship in an ensemble movie. It would be akin to the insanity that was forcing the Logan/Jean/Scott love triangle on us in the first 30 mins of X1.

Turning the Ant-Man movie into an "Avengers Origins" one is a good idea. Though the idea there would be to introduce Hank as having experimented with size reduction, and taken on the Ant-Man persona as a result of his own experiments funded by Jan's father.
Through Jan's fathers contacts in the Pentagon, this led to Hank being approached by Nick Fury to continue his research in order to try and break the microscopic barrier; his efforts thus far only resulting in reduction 1 inch minimum. His research could be used to revolutionise nanotechnology by building more manageable small scale machines that are then shrunk to nanoscopic size.

In the course of the as yet unseen origin movie, Jan got caught in one of his experiments and can also reduce in size to 1 inch tall. Therefore despite not being a scientist, Jan is a part of Hank's research team both for her usefulness in shrinking down to assist Hank when needed, and Fury's sneaky plans to utilise her skills more militarily.

If Hank's research starts off the Avengers threat, but ties into an old enemy or legacy enemy of another hero, then it puts enough focus on Hank and Jan to prevent them from being background filler, cameos, or miswritten. But it doesn't make them too front and centre, what with not having been in any movie so far, or big enough comic characters in their own right to even carry a successful solo title or be easily recognised by non-comic reading public.

Oh yeah, and in the course of Hank's work early in the film, he develops his growing powers thereby furthering the Ant-Man story beyond the prequel-ish solo movie and separating his usefulness from Jan's.

Having them be scientists is a very good idea...I would play up the idea that they create the Ant-man and wasp identities and Fury/shield nixes the idea because he doesnt see how shrinking and controlling ants would be useful....then the Avengers run into some trouble and they come to help as Giant man and Wasp proving their usefulness

those are both good ideas

Don't tell me you want to see The Wasp end up in Hulks ear canal in order to help the rest of the Avengers take him down? :hehe:

I was just reviewing the Wiki on Hank .... noticed that the comics had him listed at 12ft. I watched that cartoon movie The Ultimate Avengers one time and couldn't get passed how stupid and useless his character was, especially watching the Hulk actually choke him out .... when he was like 12 stories tall!

At any rate, again we have four LEAD characters coming into play with The Avengers, all previously established thru their stand-alones. Not to mention we know from SLJ's comments, his character starts to garner even more attention. This isn't like LOTR where you're introduced to all of the same characters in the first film and watch them develop thru the trilogy. Everyone else is going to naturally become ancillary.

They absolutely CANNOT have two bug super heroes. Sorry, it's my opinion but this will make a mockery of the team and general audience members will find it to be cheesy. It will spark up memories of "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" .... not to mention in 2012 Brett Ratner has Eddie Murphy in "The Incredible Shrinking Man" remake, which will inevitably be a comedy.

If Edgar Wright is going to be helming a stand alone, then I can't see the Pyms taking on too large a role in the Avengers because Wright is going to want to tell a larger tale and explain the man and his abilities. You do that in the Avengers and you infringe on Wright's ability to do that. Put them in there as scientists with S.H.I.E.L.D. and have little subtle nods.

I do want to add that the conception of Giant-Man could be the bi-product of his boiling jealousies. As someone mentioned before you could have Janet as the overtly flirtatious socialite, with a particular affinity for the big four. That is an interesting take, I will admit.

Last edited:
For a solo movie, playing up the angle of Jan flirting with other male characters in an effort to get Hank to notice her rather than ignore her and focus on his work would be a good way to go. There just is not the time or reason to have that much focus on one aspect of a relationship in an ensemble movie. It would be akin to the insanity that was forcing the Logan/Jean/Scott love triangle on us in the first 30 mins of X1.

I don't see how it's anything like the Scott/Jean/Logan thing. It's not even really a love triangle. It's the way Jan gets Hank to notice her. You have to give them some business to do or they become scientists in the background with no story. It would simply be a good running gag for those two that also gives them a little more depth than giving scientific exposition on things.

In the older Avengers books everyone is trying to figure out how to stop the villain but then Jan has a thought bubble about how cute Thor is or she'll make a comment about it to Hank in the middle of a fight. I think her random little bits of being boy crazy are the funniest part of the books and would fit in well if the tone is anything like Iron Man

If Edgar Wright is going to be helming a stand alone, then I can't see the Pyms taking on too large a role in the Avengers because Wright is going to want to tell a larger tale and explain the man and his abilities. You do that in the Avengers and you infringe on Wright's ability to do that. Put them in there as scientists with S.H.I.E.L.D. and have little subtle nods.

Wrights Antman isnt about Pym but the guy who takes over for him...so in his movie he is an akready established hero

His first draft from YEARS ago he's only just getting around to touching up on consisted of Hank and Jan's story being in the 60s with a "Tales to Astonish" style, then picking up present day with Scott Lang using the equipment in a somewhat comedic crime-action movie. Sounds really awesome as a stand-alone movie, actually. So far that's the only downside I've seen to the MCU- it restricts Edgar Wright's great idea now that the fans want to see Hank and Jan in the Avengers at some point.

I don't see how it's anything like the Scott/Jean/Logan thing. It's not even really a love triangle. It's the way Jan gets Hank to notice her. You have to give them some business to do or they become scientists in the background with no story. It would simply be a good running gag for those two that also gives them a little more depth than giving scientific exposition on things.

In the older Avengers books everyone is trying to figure out how to stop the villain but then Jan has a thought bubble about how cute Thor is or she'll make a comment about it to Hank in the middle of a fight. I think her random little bits of being boy crazy are the funniest part of the books and would fit in well if the tone is anything like Iron Man

The only thing there is this isn't going to be a retro movie. Tony Stark might be narcisistic, but he's fearless and a strong fighter. Jan is too - but not the 60's version. A real wordesque Avengers movie does not need (and nor would Fury put on the field) a ditzy girl caught up in the cuteness of Thor or the ignorance of Hank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"