The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Rotten Tomatoes score? - Part 4

Dredd was a fantastic movie. In my top 10 CBMs of all time.
I understand your frustration for these types of movies but as someone who grew up and comics and episodic TV I don't have an issue with world building across movies at all. Never have.

I grew up with them too. I'm 35. It's not the building of "universes" that bothers me in itself, it's that it often happens at the expense of the movie itself. Call it rushing, call it executives' fault, but first and foremost the movie has to be enjoyable and effective alone. After that, worry about the tie-ins and nods.

I grew up with them too. I'm 35. It's not the building of "universes" that bothers me in itself, it's that it often happens at the expense of the movie itself. Call it rushing, call it executives' fault, but first and foremost the movie has to be enjoyable and effective alone. After that, worry about the tie-ins and nods.

In the main I agree, especially if I have issues with the movie but on the whole it doesn't bother me even when it's jarring as heck like the Thor:DW Collector after credit.

Doesn't bother me personally but I can see why it would piss you off.

Bad reviews don't interfere with our perception of flaws, they're definetely there.

Yes they do. There are plenty of films where I would not have seen flaws when I was reviewing them, if others didn't get to release the review ahead of my publication's embargo. I've gone back and added faults, even strengths, based on what others have pointed out and how I look at the film in retrospect.

Again, Spider-man 3 was a good example. Personally, outside of the dance scenes, I wrote a couple pages on why it's personally one of my favorites out there, and the only movie where there is no villain save for Peter Parker and his hubris.

Likewise, I haven't seen a single review for this; I couldn't find a fault. Literally. Maybe on repeat viewings, but as I saw it, it was wonderful. Do not give this "objective" faults are evident crap. I could find plenty of movies you hate and show you none of the faults are faults. Likewise I could find plenty of movies you love and point out, what, to me, are evident faults. There isn't a person I know that doesn't love TDK, but after watching it several times I find it one of the messiest comic films out there with one single extraordinary actor.

Last edited:
I don't know if this movie is for you but at least you are making up your own mind and now allowing RT to make up your mind for you.

RTs and IMDBs can suck my hairy tummy. Plenty of stuff I love (or hate) that is a total opposite to what the critics or consensus are saying.

There isn't a person I know that doesn't love TDK, but after watching it several times I find it one of the messiest comic films out there with one single extraordinary actor.

Plots that are set up and not paid off, characters whose motivation change at the drop of a hate, scenes that are baggy and not essential to the critical plot thread, scenes that really should have been cut due to the excessive run time.
But none of that matters to me because the viewing experience was incredible.

What are yours?

Movies that I almost hate and are at the same time notable successes, are TDKR and Inception. Not even a Nolan-hater. A little sci-fi movie called "Love" is one of my favorites, probably 5.something on IMDB. Prometheus is often mocked, though it has a decent score everywhere, and I like it a lot while recognizing its flaws.

What are yours?

Movies that I almost hate and are at the same time notable successes, are TDKR and Inception. Not even a Nolan-hater. A little sci-fi movie called "Love" is one of my favorites, probably 5.something on IMDB. Prometheus is often mocked, though it has a decent score everywhere, and I like it a lot while recognizing its flaws.

Hurt Locker - Hated it - 94%
Inception - Meh - 86%

Dredd - Loved it. LOVED IT! - 78% (should be in the 90s)
Weird Science - Loved it - 56%
Predator 2 - Like it - 25%

Plots that are set up and not paid off, characters whose motivation change at the drop of a hate, scenes that are baggy and not essential to the critical plot thread, scenes that really should have been cut due to the excessive run time.
But none of that matters to me because the viewing experience was incredible.

Yeah, I came out finding it one of the best movies ever, just... I can't re-watch it. A lot of power comes from the philosophies, delivery and staging. It's awesome, like going to watch a Shakespearean play. Unfortunately without logical progression, I can hardly watch the entire film, I just fast forward to my favorite bits because OOMF they are so good.

Yeah, I came out finding it one of the best movies ever, just... I can't re-watch it. A lot of power comes from the philosophies, delivery and staging. It's awesome, like going to watch a Shakespearean play. Unfortunately without logical progression, I can hardly watch the entire film, I just fast forward to my favorite bits because OOMF they are so good.

Same. I do a lot of FF to my favorite bits, chief of these being the Joker interrogation.

That's what TDK is for me. It's a mess with many flaws, but full of very powerful stand-alone scenes.

Joe is so laughable, the "higher standards" comment just tells you everything you need to know.

The fact that I expected more out of this movie than what was given was wrong? There was no reason as to why this film wasn't great, and yeah I'd say most people have low standards when it comes to things. There are things that are produced that borderline make fun of people's low standards and cash in on them. Things that are the way they are because of that, and if you bother to research as why they are you find the reasoning insulting. It happens everywhere, not just movies.

That's what TDK is for me. It's a mess with many flaws, but full of very powerful stand-alone scenes.

Exactly. Take the seen where Rachel and Batman land on the car and then the movie cuts to a completely different scene not seeing the conclusion of Joker in the penthouse. But you know what? Who cares?

The fact that I expected more out of this movie than what was given was wrong? There was no reason as to why this film wasn't great, and yeah I'd say most people have low standards when it comes to things. There are things that are produced that borderline make fun of people's low standards and cash in on them. Things that are the way they are because of that, and if you bother to research as why they are you find the reasoning insulting. It happens everywhere, not just movies.

Regardless, it's a pretty insulting thing to say.

Yeah, I don't know why there's so much rejection of the "we"re setting up characters in this movie because they will be there in the sequels", it's a series of movies, you can't make every movie self-contained.

Yes you can. No one was clamoring for this series to have a universe. NO ONE. Sony is doing it themselves and evidently shooting themselves in the foot by doing.

If you're cool with it than fine, but don't expect others to be, and there seems to be a significant chunk of people who aren't.

And believe me, this movie has some pretty gaping issues in it, just because you and a few people say otherwise (which in a general overview make you the pretty extreme minority) doesn't mean we're talking out of our ass.

Who knows what kind of mindset you had when you watched? What if you refuse to acknowledge any flaws? What if you're biased for the movie? What if you're just trying to spite everyone? You aren't anymore right than anyone else here.

Just because you're in a positive state of mind doesn't mean you're right. There's nothing wrong with it, but there's also nothing wrong with being negative if you can justify as to why you're negative.

Last edited:
So, what have I missed...?

57% Rotten!

504dhs.gif

If you're cool with it than fine, but don't expect others to be, and there seems to be a significant chunk of people who aren't.

To be fair, RT user voting is currently 78%, average rating 4/5 with over 130,000 people voting. You can discount the user rating but it is what it is.

To be fair, RT user voting is currently 78%, average rating 4/5 with over 130,000 people voting. You can discount the user rating but it is what it is.

So the movie got a B and technically alot of those twitter and positive reactions mean something. Its a shame all those positives didnt get posted to Rt. But in the end who cares? All that matters is how the individual feels. Im seeing it later today.

This movie isn't perfect by any means, but it doesn't deserve that 56%.

Alot of its weaknesses, are also strengths.

And flaws aside, its just about the perfect Spider-Man movie, and perfect comic book movie. At least, in terms of what the phrase "comic book movie" infers.

This film is not simply based on a comic, it tries to be like one. And I feel THAT is the point most cbms miss.

This movie isn't perfect by any means, but it doesn't deserve that 56%.

Alot of its weaknesses, are also strengths.

And flaws aside, its just about the perfect Spider-Man movie, and perfect comic book movie. At least, in terms of what the phrase "comic book movie" infers.

This film is not simply based on a comic, it tries to be like one. And I feel THAT is the point most cbms miss.

I haven't seen it yet (probably mid-week) but if that last part is true, I will at the very least appreciate that aspect. I like when CBMs are serious if it's justifiable, but sometimes, just being what it is is refreshing. Spider-man, IMO, is easier to do that with so glad they're embracing that. For that reason, I will probably like it better than ASM1.

I notice that the RT Audience Score has dropped from 86% to 78% overnight.
Not good, that's a big overnight drop and OW is upon us. Wonder how much more it'll drop?

It dropped because the movie is officially out and probably a lot of people have seen it now. But really, this or IMDB score, it's hard to give it much value, anybody with an account can vote, how can you know who did see it, or who didn't?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"