Superman Returns Routh interview pulled due to comment on not doing "origin" film

FanboyX_Returns said:
The reported marketing budget was around 50-60 million so like I said the total budget when you include marketing was 260million or so... give or take a million.
Double that, and thats the number you need to get in order for the film to break even.. Remember all movies split the theater ticket money in half with the theaters which play the movies.
So if the movie makes 380m world wide then it lost a close 200million...
Even with strong dvd sales they will not break even because the WB would have to pump a good 20-40million to market the dvd which will put them even deeper in the red.

They can say what they want but they won't break even on this thing...

When you stated 100 mil (FF Production budget-without marketing) I was uncertain of what exactly you were saying. But, yes- the final budget is around 260 mil. While the production budget, not including marketing is 204 mil. So, in saying 260 mil- give or take- is the final budget of the film you would be correct.

Showtime029 said:
Come on man, it is a matter of taste, some want to see an origin and some don't. None are idiots. :down :(

One way I always wanted to see a Superman movie done as a restart but not really going deeply into the origins was to have like the opening scene be a child opening up a Superman comic from whatever era you want to set the movie in.. (This would be a nod to the first Superman movie)

Now as the kid looks at the book the cam would point at the scenes in the comic, and the scenes in the comic would flip thru the entire origin, and give you the important parts like Jor El telling his people that Krypton was in danger, and then putting the baby in a ship, and sending him to earth, this would give you the origin but done quickly enough so that we could get to the story quickly, and not have to re-do the entire origin again...
You can do this whole scenes with credits rolling thru it if you want...

Then as the child flips to the last page which is when the credits are done the picture is of the Daily Planet logo, and then the scene comes to life, and the real Superman movie starts when Clark gets to the daily planet, and we see him looking at the front of the building, and about to walk in for his first day at the job...

This still lets you feel like this is a total restart because it doesnt piggy back on the storylines of the Donner movies, and you can cast a new Superman actor who looks the part, and not just looks oddly like Chris Reeve from certain angles...

If your a WB executive, and your on here reading this start taking notes...

:)

FanboyX_Returns said:
Now as the kid looks at the book the cam would point at the scenes in the comic, and the scenes in the comic would flip thru the entire origin, and give you the important parts like Jor El telling his people that Krypton was in danger, and then putting the baby in a ship, and sending him to earth, this would give you the origin but done quickly enough so that we could get to the story quickly, and not have to re-do the entire origin again...

That was actually the original opening of SR- came before the Return to Krypton scene.

Tempest19 said:
When you stated 100 mil (FF Production budget-without marketing) I was uncertain of what exactly you were saying. But, yes- the final budget is around 260 mil. While the production budget, not including marketing is 204 mil. So, in saying 260 mil- give or take- is the final budget of the film you would be correct.

yea now add a good 20-40m for the dvd's marketing... The movie had to come close to 600million to have them break even.
Even if the dvd brings in 150million in revenue which would be REALLY GOOD!
It still wouldnt get them to the point where they don't lose money.
Might be a good decade before the WB could actually say that they turned a profit on SR...

Tempest19 said:
That was actually the original opening of SR- came before the Return to Krypton scene.

Well then the only good idea which they had they trashed... lol seriously that was going to be the start of SR?
That shows you that they made alot of mistakes in the way they molded the script...

The comic actually looks pretty cool, imagine the Donner film in old looking comic book drawings- in which it wasn't solid color yet, but dotted color comics. They have a couple of pages of it in one of the behind the scenes books.

FanboyX_Returns said:
Remember all movies split the theater ticket money in half with the theaters which play the movies.
So if the movie makes 380m world wide then it lost a close 200million...
Even with strong dvd sales they will not break even because the WB would have to pump a good 20-40million to market the dvd which will put them even deeper in the red.

They can say what they want but they won't break even on this thing...

Not quite. The movie companies make a lot more then 50% the first week/weeks or so. And nobody can predict what the DVD will sell, I don't think WB had a big marketing campaign for the Batman Begins DVD and that sold very well.

\S/JcDc\S/ said:
Hey I'm not one to give SR a hard time. I've been a supporter for a long time. Truly have no reason to talk crap against it, hell I've seen it 4 times in the theatre. Good film, could be great upon future DVD viewings :) Take this with a grain of salt, dismiss it if it makes you feel better but I'm confident it's credible info.

An entire interview with Brandon Routh from the L.A. Times has been pulled due to what WB reps feel could be perceived as a negative comment.

When asked "Do you believe the POTC sequel is the cause of SR not performing as well at the box office as expected, or was there any other factor?" Routh answered "I don't think a pirate can beat Superman, well maybe if he had some kryptonite. (laughs) The only factor I might consider is that some fans weren't prepared or ready for a returns story."

That's not the comment that scrapped it btw, this is the one that did apparently.

When asked "Would you have preferred an origin based story?" Routh replied "Preferred? I don't know. I would have enjoyed it, I think some fans were wanting or expecting an origin story."

--

The man speaks the truth. :mad: :up:

IT is Batgirl said:
As far as I know, Brandon never did this interview with the LA Times.

can you confirm this Iris?

\S/JcDc\S/ said:
No offense meant but, you have no assocation with where this comes from. It's true, whether you feel it's negative for Routh or not to have said these things. Honestly I don't even know what your opinion is on the said comments. I understand you run that fan site and all... so don't feel I posted info to bash Routh, I'm a fan of his performance in SR. Don't shoot the messenger. As for any who have a doubt all I can say is ask Paradox whether I get info on certain things :o It's true folks, and I'd be the last person to try and sabotage SR or Routh for that matter. What I posted was said by Routh and the interview was thereby cut.

JC, if you tell us where you got the news from, it will help with the credibiity of the report; a link, anything that can amount to more than just "heresay". you've been around SHH for a long time, you know how how we feel about false reports. right now if Iris, who runs Routh's biggest unnoficial site and is in constant communication with his reps, says the interview didnt happen, we're more likely to believe her. unless she can confirm your report or that you can convince us that the report is credible.

Steelsheen said:
JC, if you tell us where you got the news from, it will help with the credibiity of the report; a link, anything that can amount to more than just "heresay". you've been around SHH for a long time, you know how how we feel about false reports. right now if Iris, who runs Routh's biggest unnoficial site and is in constant communication with his reps, says the interview didnt happen, we're more likely to believe her. unless she can confirm your report or that you can convince us that the report is credible.

Then you haven't been around all that long I must say. Long before Iris worked on the Routh fan site, I'd found out a few very interesting pieces of info. It's not like I post info everyday either, just if something is actually going on. The reason I say ask Paradox (the poster) is because he witnessed a confirmation I received on Christian Bale signing on for Batman long before any actual Bale rumors were hitting the internet. Besides that, the casting of Kate Bosworth... Long before any site on the internet announced her. As I said you can choose to dismiss it but please don't even begin to suggest I'd make up a false report. I don't have that kind of track record. Oh and do you really think there would be a link to something like this that the WB had cut from circulating? LOL come on. I don't need to convince anyone of anything, this is info I got. It's true. Believe it or dismiss it. I'm actually a fan of SR and Routh, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna close my eyes to something like this.

Steelsheen said:
can you confirm this Iris?

No offense to her but she does not have the source to confirm this. She can go the route of Routh's PR who will spin her a "We are not aware of such an interview" report and that's about it.

neuralizer2.jpg

<<<<FLASH>>>>

There is no interview. What you saw was the plot of Superman Returns in the movies section and a negative review of some fan on a website and mixed them up on your mind. Pirates are bad. They are worse than Kryptonite and you hate them to death. You love Superman Returns.

First off, what is the big deal either way. I don't know why WB would pull the interview over what Routh said as above. None of this makes any sense to me. If this is true.

Showtime029 said:
First off, what is the big deal either way. I don't know why WB would pull the interview over what Routh said as above. None of this makes any sense to me. If this is true.

True. SR's domestic run will be over soon.....This interview won't sway someone from not buying the DVD. Those have already made up their minds.

Pickle-El said:
True. SR's domestic run will be over soon.....This interview won't sway someone from not buying the DVD. Those have already made up their minds.

Right, and from the quotes above I don't really understand why he said anything against the movie?

Showtime029 said:
Right, and from the quotes above I don't really understand why he said anything against the movie?

Yeah, it is- peculiar.

And personally, I never take anyone's "word" for something unless there is something to back it up.

\S/JcDc\S/ said:
Then you haven't been around all that long I must say. Long before Iris worked on the Routh fan site, I'd found out a few very interesting pieces of info. It's not like I post info everyday either, just if something is actually going on. The reason I say ask Paradox (the poster) is because he witnessed a confirmation I received on Christian Bale signing on for Batman long before any actual Bale rumors were hitting the internet. Besides that, the casting of Kate Bosworth... Long before any site on the internet announced her. As I said you can choose to dismiss it but please don't even begin to suggest I'd make up a false report. I don't have that kind of track record. Oh and do you really think there would be a link to something like this that the WB had cut from circulating? LOL come on. I don't need to convince anyone of anything, this is info I got. It's true. Believe it or dismiss it. I'm actually a fan of SR and Routh, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna close my eyes to something like this.

JC, i aint doubting your credibility man, and i really didnt want to have to bring this up, but you do have a knack of.... getting popular with the Mods, hence my (and many others') hesitation in just believing anything anymore. i may not be someone you would easily remember, but i have been around long enough to remember that "credible" folks come in here and posting news that gets everybody excited then days later is debunked by the Mods or other posters with more credible sources. we're not asking for a link if there is none to provide, what we're asking for is something that can give a bit more weight to what you said.

in any case, given those quotes, there's nothing in it that would merit it to be unpublished. if anything its more positive spin machine for SR through the mouth of its lead actor.

Wesyeed said:
I would have no mercy... if I was making a superman movie. This origin movie would be the new gold standard, above anything in batman begins. That scene with young clark is an example of how it'd be but without the glasses. He doesn't need glasses back then.

Spider-man would be jealous of superman's box office!

People would be saying Spider-who?

It'd be based on versimilitude, and it'd be brilliant. The action would make Keanu Reeves jealous. The story would be uplifting and fun. The dogs wouldn't be mistreated. It'd be a new generation's superman like the new generation's batman.

we'd see superman show us why he's the king of super heros. It'd be as if you opened a comic and suddenly it was playing in your head like a movie.

Thank god for nolan.
well it depends on who is directing it man,it would have to be another nolan but if we are talking about you or singer damn this movie wouldnt even surpass hulk!!!

SR was a really great film, not perfect- but, great, so can't wait until the sequel! 9/10 definitely and one of my top favorite superhero flicks.

Wonder why that Routh interview was pulled- doesn't make sense.

\S/JcDc\S/ said:
Hey I'm not one to give SR a hard time. I've been a supporter for a long time. Truly have no reason to talk crap against it, hell I've seen it 4 times in the theatre. Good film, could be great upon future DVD viewings :) Take this with a grain of salt, dismiss it if it makes you feel better but I'm confident it's credible info.

An entire interview with Brandon Routh from the L.A. Times has been pulled due to what WB reps feel could be perceived as a negative comment.

When asked "Do you believe the POTC sequel is the cause of SR not performing as well at the box office as expected, or was there any other factor?" Routh answered "I don't think a pirate can beat Superman, well maybe if he had some kryptonite. (laughs) The only factor I might consider is that some fans weren't prepared or ready for a returns story."

That's not the comment that scrapped it btw, this is the one that did apparently.

When asked "Would you have preferred an origin based story?" Routh replied "Preferred? I don't know. I would have enjoyed it, I think some fans were wanting or expecting an origin story."

--

Do you have a link to this? You're saying it's true but i don't see a link to this claim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"