Superman Returns Routh interview pulled due to comment on not doing "origin" film

Carp Man said:
Noone was interested in seeing this one either, but everyone knows Supermans origin. And this is just the 1st shot in the what the hell do we do next with Superman derby. The should have, could have, would have's have begun. The fun has just begun. It will get uglyer.

Apparently a lot more people were interested in seing SR then Fantastic Four.

Yeah, except FF cost 100mil less to make and was greenlighted for a sequel shortly after it's opening...Where is the SR2 news?

Nope, budget doesn't come into people's INTEREST. More people went to see Superman Returns than they did Fantastic Four, due to Superman Returns having brought in more money. Thus, interest is not shown in whether or not a film is able to get back it's budget- but, rather in the amount of people that show up for the movie. Thus, Superman Returns got alot more people interested than Fantastic Four did.

Yes, Fantastic Four was the most successful of the two due to it's budget. But, in talking interest alone- Superman Returns is the obvious winner.

If we were talking about success, you would be right- due to it's budget. But, we aren't. We are talking about the number of people that showed up for SR vs. the amount of people that showed up for FF. Interest. And in that case, more people were interested in SR than they were in FF.

Now do you see the difference?

Wesyeed said:
with an origin, we get it all.

New Superman
New Lex Luthor. He'd hate land.
Fresh story
New Lois so her being so young would make more sense
More insight into superman's development
A hell of a closer comic interpretation that's for sure
No vague sequel confusion.

It'd be amazing.

Thank God for Nolan.
Even though I enjoyed SR, yes, origin story would have been so much better. That way there would be NO KID, no return story, people would just be shocked that there is an alien running around earth, Lex could have been an evil business man.

Triligors said:
Nope, budget doesn't come into people's INTEREST. More people went to see Superman Returns than they did Fantastic Four, due to Superman Returns having brought in more money. Thus, interest is not shown in whether or not a film is able to get back it's budget- but, rather in the amount of people that show up for the movie. Thus, Superman Returns got alot more people interested than Fantastic Four did.

Yes, Fantastic Four was the most successful of the two due to it's budget. But, in talking interest alone- Superman Returns is the obvious winner.

Now do you see the difference?
I always saw the difference, it's just that I'm getting a little tired of people pretending that SR is more successful than F4 because it made what? not even 40 plus mil more than a movie that cost way less to make. And it was based on a comicbook that was way less popular than Superman. If anything comparing it's numbers to F4 shows just how much of a boxoffice disappointment SR is.

The original poster did not say that SR was more succesful than FF and neither did I- you inferred that.

The original poster, was more or less making a "come back". Carp Man said that hardly anyone was interested in SR. Most know- or at least I'm pretty sure- that Carp is an FF fan. Thus, the original poster brought up that more people were interested in SR than FF. Budget, never entered the picture until you brought it up. No one said which one was more successful than the next, it was all about 'interest'.

Thus, yes- as I said- FF was more successful than SR. But, the film that brought in more people was SR. Thus, it was originally concerning interest not success. You inferred that is what we were talking about.

Triligors said:
The original poster did not say that SR was more succesful than FF and neither did I- you inferred that.

The original poster, was more or less making a "come back". Carp Man said that hardly anyone was interested in SR. Most know- or at least I'm pretty sure- that Carp is an FF fan. Thus, the original poster brought up that more people were interested in SR than FF. Budget, never entered the picture until you brought it up. No one said which one was more successful than the next, it was all about 'interest'.

Thus, yes- as I said- FF was more successful than SR. But, the film that brought in more people was SR. Thus, it was originally concerning interest not success. You inferred that is what we were talking about.

Exactly. My only point was that more people wanted to see Superman Returns in theatres then they did with FF. Thats All I said, and there's nothing incorrect about it.

super85 said:
Exactly. My only point was that more people wanted to see Superman Returns in theatres then they did with FF. Thats All I said, and there's nothing incorrect about it.

Says who? FF made 330 million worldwide, SR made 360 million worldwide. Since SR was a slightly better film, the additional $30 million could have simply been repeat viewers.

No one in their right mind saw FF twice. FF was a huge turd, while SR was not as bad.

matthooper said:
Says who? FF made 330 million worldwide, SR made 360 million worldwide. Since SR was a slightly better film, the additional $30 million could have simply been repeat viewers.

No one in their right mind saw FF twice. FF was a huge turd, while SR was not as bad.

First. SR has so far made 360 million. It will most likely make atleast 380 million total. And about FF, I believe Carp Man has stated proudly that he saw it 9 times in the theatre.

You might have a point there about repeat viewers. My orginal post was after Carp said that nobody was interested in SR. And I pointed out that statement was false.And repeat viewers or not SR geared more interest then FF,.

An origin story with Braniac as the SOLE VILLIAN would have been great. A new Superman for a new generation.

Yeah..but we said "No sane person" ...:p :)

super85 said:
First. SR has so far made 360 million. It will most likely make atleast 380 million total. And about FF, I believe Carp Man has stated proudly that he saw it 9 times in the theatre.

You might have a point there about repeat viewers. My orginal post was after Carp said that nobody was interested in SR. And I pointed out that statement was false.And repeat viewers or not SR geared more interest then FF,.

Actually, I was just making a possible point. I do agree that more people probably saw SR and there was definately more buzz. However, the numbers are very similar, that's just sad for SR.

One more thing though. How in the world could you forcast an additional 20 million for SR? It's out of the top 20 this weekend. It made just 800 thousand last weekend. It's overseas gross is poor too. It will be out of theaters next weekend.

Worldwide, still hasn't opened everywhere yet.

Hey, not over yet- so judging what those places will do before it actually opens there is jumping the gun- on BOTH sides of the fence.

Tempest19 said:
Hey, not over yet- so judging what those places will do before it actually opens there is jumping the gun- on BOTH sides of the fence.

My only point was it won't make 20 million more. It has 2 European countries to go(It already opened in most of Switzerland) It can't make $20 million in Italy and Greece. That's not how the box office works over there.

You stated 1 million more? To put that into perspective, check box office mojo- BB got 6 million in Italy. And you're saying that with SR yet to open in Italy it will be lucky to get 1 million more? Or were you just going to an extreme?

If Warner Bros HAD made an origin movie, then Routh would not have been cast in the first place, as he was cast to play the Suprman of the first four movies.

I believe the film has just been out for like a week in Japan and Germany. Before the numbers were updated the last time(before it opened in Japan and Germany) the worldwide total was 348 million, after they got updated (last sunday or monday) it was 360 million. I'm quite sure it will be around 367-368 mil when the World Wide numbers are updated the next time. And it will keep making some money. Just wait until it actually has finished its run in the theatres.

Superman Returns should have been Superman Begins. An origin movie makes so much sense to a movie based on "vague history" of the first 2 Superman movies. Let's see.. origin Supe would not only bring back old Supe fans but creating new ones as well. In fact the new generation of Superman fans would embrace the movie like the ones back in 1979. It would definitely give Spiderman a run for its money and if done right would top 400mil easily imo.

I wonder when the finger pointing for SR's failure will start. Singer would be exempt but heads at WB may start rolling soon. No chance for SR to make 200mil domestic at this point. Sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"