Batwoman Ruby Rose WAS Kate Kane/Batwoman

Regardless of whether someone should have been hired based on their sexuality in the first place, the issue of her not being lesbian enough being the cause for harassment is an example of why you’ll never be able to please these people.

“These people” are a hypocritical, vocal minority. They don’t speak for everyone who wants a little more diversity in their media.

Melissa has impressed me on more than one occasion, both on Supergirl and in other projects, but she's pretty much the only one. Most CW leads are "decent" which is all they need to be I guess. If she's decent, I'll be satisfied.

My biggest worry is that we are going to have another Katie McGrath issue, and she is constantly choking on her accent.

LOL, that has never bothered me with McGrath.

It's not so bad when you are the supporting character.

But when you are the star...

“These people” are a hypocritical, vocal minority. They don’t speak for everyone who wants a little more diversity in their media.

Yes, they are very much hypocrites.

I looked up the Demi Lovato thing; yeah, it was kind of crappy of her to imply that she slept with her before Demi publicly came out as bi. But if that’s grounds for hating on her, then I guess people should hate Carrie Fisher too for saying point blank that all of Hollywood knows John Travolta is gay. Anyway, the two of them have stayed friends (and potentially more, as some have speculated) so if Demi doesn’t have a problem with her, I don’t know why anyone else does.

As for the whole “straight women love her” thing...I have observed some animosity in the LGBTQ community at times when a celebrity emerges as the coveted “girl who could turn a straight woman into a lesbian.” I suppose it stems from lesbian and bisexual women getting annoyed by straight or mostly straight women that they feel are trying to encroach upon the LGBTQ community. I can certainly understand that; the community has been marginalized for years and years and some may view that as another example of marginalization. However, I also think that if someone legitimately has an awakening about their sexuality, they shouldn’t be shunned for it.

And certainly, a celebrity who just happens to be the person that has the ability to apparently help cause that awakening shouldn’t be attacked over it.

I always laugh when I hear straight girls say 'I'm not a lesbian, but...', because when you start going into detail about what that actually involves reality starts to hit and they suddenly don't find it as appealing.

All Ruby can do is just focus on the role and pay no attention to the vocal minority that are harassing her. Simple as that.

And hopefully she can.

I have no opinion of her one way or the other as an actress; the only thing I've seen her in is John Wick 2 and while she was fine, she also didn't talk so it's a little hard to judge her ability based on that. I mean, I know Sally Hawkins didn't talk in The Shape of Water and got an Oscar, but I mean, come on.

Anyway, if she does well in the role, then people will hopefully shut the hell up. And if she does poorly, well... it's not like she won't fit in with most of the other actors in the CWverse.

It doesn't matter how well she does in the role, some people already hate her for whatever reasons so even an Oscar worthy performance will not change their minds. And since there is no way in hell that is going to happen, there is no way those critics will ever be satisfied.

Is Demi Lovato a lesbian? And is she out now? If so, why did Ruby Rose out her? What business was it of hers?

I think so. At least, I think she's spoken about dating women and love being "fluid" (source). As far as I know, Ruby didn't out her in a super explicit way. She tweeted something about sleeping with Demi, which she eventually deleted, but it got people speculating about Demi's sexuality and people hating Ruby for the outing and her motives. She said, “I'm like the one person demi has slept with that didn't sell on naked photos of her so eff off,” adding “Think ill take a few days off social media whilst @ddlovato’s friends attack me for being a ‘scorned ex-lover’ get over it! I liked the hair.” In short, the rumor is that Demi and Ruby either hooked up or were a couple at some point, Ruby exposed that maybe even accidentally (idk), and resentment grew.

Why can't people just keep their personal stuff off of social media? It's contagious!

I just want to hear about the show... How close is the costume going to be to the comics? Will she be as pale? Are they keeping her origin and military background? What are they doing for villains and will they start with Alice/Beth?

There are more important things than who is gay enough...:whatever:

Last edited:
I just want to hear about the show... How close is the costume going to be to the comics? Will she be as pale? Are they keeping her origin and military background? What are they doing for villains and with they start with Alice/Beth?

There are more important things than who is gay enough.
It's more about whether she's capable enough for me, which I'm beginning to think not.

I know her role in OitNB is probably nowhere near as edgy as Kate Kane will be, but she acted pretty well in the clips that I have seen on YT. Then there is JW2 where she came off as pretty bad-ass in my view. She was the villain so she was supposed to lose in the end, but I liked her performance in that even without any dialogue. It has me hoping she is in JW3.

As far as I know, the same people who hired her are the same ones who hired Amell and Gustan and the rest of the Arrowverse, SG non-withstanding. I think they did pretty good in most respects there and, until I see actual a bad performance, I'm going to trust that they did as good here.

Admittedly, I think that starting out looking for a strictly lesbian actress was stupid, but it's probably a lot better than the casting couch routine!:woot:

That's part of the reason why I think this has exploded the way it has. They loaded it up with expectations and controversy with that one stipulation and now people are hung up on it.

'My 'gayer' choice didn't get picked, so FU!!'

That why I think they should try and get ahead of it, by getting RR out in the costume. Start doing some PR s**t with her going to a hospital, make some quick clips of her fighting crime and kicking ass, maybe even having some quick, quipy scenes with Supergirl like they did when WW came out.

We're a few months away from the crossover and that is plenty of time for opinions to harden into like or dislike. They need to make sure that most are in the Like column before Kate Kane makes her first appearance.

I still don't get the whole "not gay enough" thing. Has she ever even implied that she was bi or straight?

I still don't get the whole "not gay enough" thing. Has she ever even implied that she was bi or straight?

You're not the only one.

And it's not implied, but pretty certain instead. Ruby Rose hasn't been shy, nor should she be, about her being lesbian/bi/fluid. (New term for me in regards to the LGBT stuff. < And I may have left out a letter...)

Getting off that topic, who thinks that if Batwoman is set on SG's Earth that they may just meld her origin with Bruce Wayne's and have no Batman on E38 at all?

It's an entirely different universe, and certainly the comics have shown gender flips in the past when a superhero crosses over to one of these others. Doing so would allow a Batman to exist on Earth 1 either currently or in the future, or on some other Earth.

I know canonically Batman is a big influence on Kane in her choice of garb and identity, but I don't think it would take much to meld their origins. Have her join the military and then get kicked out, then as she wanders after that they can move her along a Bruce Wayne-style arc, getting tangled up in the criminal underworld and then using what would become her fear of bats for the symbol she uses.

One thing I am highly intrigued with here is the cast members. From what I've seen, the likes of Stephen, Grant, Melissa (etc) are quite level headed and can bounce off of each other. Ruby Rose (from what little I know) seems to have a very different personality, and not one that may interact on the same level as the other cast members.

Speculation only. I could be completely wrong, but she doesn't strike me with the same mentality as Melissa, Grant, Stephen and co.

Admittedly, I have only ever seen her as 'herself' in a YT clip I posted, but she came off as pretty fun and energetic. I don't see why there would be a problem. And even if so, the history of TV is full of shows where the cast members only liked each other on screen.

That, and since they would be on different shows, there would be very little interaction except for the crossovers and PR.

Getting off that topic, who thinks that if Batwoman is set on SG's Earth that they may just meld her origin with Bruce Wayne's and have no Batman on E38 at all?

It's an entirely different universe, and certainly the comics have shown gender flips in the past when a superhero crosses over to one of these others. Doing so would allow a Batman to exist on Earth 1 either currently or in the future, or on some other Earth.

I know canonically Batman is a big influence on Kane in her choice of garb and identity, but I don't think it would take much to meld their origins. Have her join the military and then get kicked out, then as she wanders after that they can move her along a Bruce Wayne-style arc, getting tangled up in the criminal underworld and then using what would become her fear of bats for the symbol she uses.

As big a Batman fan as I am, I wouldn't lose my **** over that. I look on all these things as different takes on the characters anyway. Plus, I'd be perfectly happy to read a comic with that premise, so why not live-action?

My biggest worry is that we are going to have another Katie McGrath issue, and she is constantly choking on her accent.
This is a thing, but Katie is an all time crush, so I role with that adorableness. :o

You're not the only one.

And it's not implied, but pretty certain instead. Ruby Rose hasn't been shy, nor should she be, about her being lesbian/bi/fluid. (New term for me in regards to the LGBT stuff. < And I may have left out a letter...)

You fundamentally change the character of Batwoman if you change her origin. Her entire origin is tied to her tragedy, her relationship with her father and sister, being kicked out of the army, her spiral into chaos, and then one night seeing Batman. Then her ruthless training begins, which is nothing like Batman's. This is before we get into how she operates in general. How she pushes back against the idea of working with Batman.

Does she have a problem with that? A lot of Australian actors seem to do pretty good American accents. I even saw Simon Baker from The Mentalist (who's actually an Aussie himself) comment on it in an interview.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"