Dualist Movie Review - Sailor Moon & Commando, Comic Book Girl 19

DA_Champion

Avenger
Reaction score
This insightful and informative film review is a comparison of Sailor Moon (mostly sailor moon R), a 1990s-era magical princess anime from Japan, and Commando, an 1980s action movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger.

It looks like a ridiculous comparison, which is exactly why it works. One work is hyper feminine, and the other is hyper masculine, ... and in spite of that ... they have a lot in common. That works as a reminder that we as a society should give more respect to female-oriented works of art.
Some of the comparisons:

1) Both Commando and Sailor Moon feature empowering "transformation" sequences. I never thought of the former as a transformation sequence, but it is. Specifically when the male action hero puts on his war paint, his armor, loads his guns, etc. It's a power fantasy.

2) Both works feature a lot of gay subtext, or just plain text.

3) In both works the villains are motivated by loneliness, and a craving for acceptance. This contrasts to the protagonists having very strong bonds of family/friendship which drive their behavior, inform and define their character and their actions.

Also the review is hilarious. For those not familiar, the robot is a foil for internet trolls.

Edit: I can't link to a video that may have profanity, so I'll link to her youtube page for those interested:
https://www.youtube.com/user/comicbookgirl19/videos
Scroll to watch the one you want.
[Sailor moon is based off a manga which is a Japanese comic book and thus this fits in this forum].

Last edited:
[YT]fRPfJ8GZFWg[/YT]

Loved The Duellists: Ridley Scott, Harvey Keitel, Keith Carradine, great flik!

What...?
\
1uv4ns.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95