Sequels Sam Raimi talks Spidey 4

People can want what they want but at least back it up with logic and credible reasons. Have you read some of the stuff spideyhero posts? Its...just...unbelievable.
you act like what you say is always perfect, when really you just love picking on people.

Some people are saying that if Raimi,Maguire and Dunst dont come back then they won't see another.This is why some are saying that Spider-Man 4 will be the "last" film.

...and that's why those people will forever be branded, stupid.

you act like what you say is always perfect, when really you just love picking on people.

cry_me_a_river.jpg

:whatever: :whatever: :whatever: :whatever:

Agreed. The movie could end up being the best, but it has more potential to go the way of BF or B&R without Raimi, and history in comic movies is my evidence. I have said this numerous times, but trying to do a movie in the same continuity as other movies by a different cast and crew has yet to work for comic movies. BB and TIH have/are establishing new continuities, so they don't count.

Exactly, even the series that have kept the same casts, but changed directors, have gone downhill quickly Blade: Trinity (yes i know they changed director every movie, but GDT and Norrington were both great choices, Goyer was not), Superman 3 and 4 and especially X3 were all terrible.

Stop being so damn clingy, Raimi & Co. can't stay forever, even Sony and Marvel knows this.

Exactly, even the series that have kept the same casts, but changed directors, have gone downhill quickly Blade: Trinity (yes i know they changed director every movie, but GDT and Norrington were both great choices, Goyer was not), Superman 3 and 4 and especially X3 were all terrible.
Yeah, people are acting like if they replace them, then the films will be great. I've stated this before, with Sam directing and the cast and crew returning, the film has a much better chance of being amazing than it is without them. There really is not any director that I know of that has so much passion for the character.

Let's not forget what happens when they change who plays the main character as well.

At least Batman's got things sorted out.
I weep for Hulk and the Punisher.

-Vaportrail

So now the Hulk will flop because Bana is gone??? Norton is the world of a better actor... Hulk will be fine... the Punisher is just not a draw. Too trivial a character. I have said it before... I'll say it again... people clinging to this love affair with the big three just don't want to accept change no matter what... and that's not a knock on people for wanting the crew to finish what they started... except these are the same people that refuse to acknowledge that Sony has already eyed a total of SIX pictures for the franchise... so those wishes are unrealistic.

Well Hoffman is played by his brother.

Hate one Raimi...you hate them all???

I guess...even his kids suffer fanboy wrath (with the many complaints about that whole "Awesome!" "Wicked Cool" thing that was like 2 seconds of screentime, but managed to offend people a lot :dry: )

Exactly. It has never ended well.

Stop being so damn clingy, Raimi & Co. can't stay forever, even Sony and Marvel knows this.

*Clings to Raimi and Co.*

What do you mean :ninja:

So now the Hulk will flop because Bana is gone??? Norton is the world of a better actor... Hulk will be fine... the Punisher is just not a draw. Too trivial a character. I have said it before... I'll say it again... people clinging to this love affair with the big three just don't want to accept change no matter what... and that's not a knock on people for wanting the crew to finish what they started... except these are the same people that refuse to acknowledge that Sony has already eyed a total of SIX pictures for the franchise... so those wishes are unrealistic.

Why? So they are eyeing 6 movies, that doesn't mean it has to be 2 trilogies. What is wrong with 3 stand alone movies in which Raimi and Co come back once more, then we get recasts for two flicks?

Wait, I forgot, everything must be a trilogy now (due to the trilogy film fetish) :whatever:

Why? So they are eyeing 6 movies, that doesn't mean it has to be 2 trilogies. What is wrong with 3 stand alone movies in which Raimi and Co come back once more, then we get recasts for two flicks?

Wait, I forgot, everything must be a trilogy now (due to the trilogy film fetish) :whatever:

Well... these are the same people that just care about seeing Lizard and a wedding and really don't care about the franchise beyond that... I should rephrase that... one of the people would slowly lose interest in the franchise after they get those things... I doubt Sony's mentality is... "okay the villain you have been waiting for... here's the wedding... now lets give parts 5/6 for someone else to screw up".... because a common quote I get from people that feel like you is, "I want the cast to return from one more at least..." and I sort of get the impression these same people could care less about where this goes after that because they refuse to believe it can ever be as good. Maybe you fall into that category... maybe you don't... either way its fine... I personally don't want the franchise to end on such a high and then continue on such a downer. It's okay if you feel like one of the people I am describing. But if they want six movies... then it is most logical to me that they just continue off want Raimi established... a loose continuity.

Well... these are the same people that just care about seeing Lizard and a wedding and really don't care about the franchise beyond that... I should rephrase that... one of the people would slowly lose interest in the franchise after they get those things... I doubt Sony's mentality is... "okay the villain you have been waiting for... here's the wedding... now lets give parts 5/6 for someone else to screw up".... because a common quote I get from people that feel like you is, "I want the cast to return from one more at least..." and I sort of get the impression these same people could care less about where this goes after that because they refuse to believe it can ever be as good. Maybe you fall into that category... maybe you don't... either way its fine... I personally don't want the franchise to end on such a high and then continue on such a downer. It's okay if you feel like one of the people I am describing. But if they want six movies... then it is most logical to me that they just continue off want Raimi established... a loose continuity.

But the thing is it can take a downward spiral now. I feel more confident with the Raimi and Co. coming back option for 2 reasons. 1-I know what I can expect to feel about it (for the most part) and 2-SM3 didn't feel enough like an ending for me, so I would like to see SM4 give Raimi and Co. more closure to their interpretations.

I acknowledge that SM4-6 can be better if recasts happen, I am just saying historically that has never happend, so I don't expect it to. I think treating the remaining movies as more stand alone movies and not a trilogy is better in the long run after SM4 cause then you don't have to discuss the events of the previous movies, and can't really damage your continuity.

I will always have a vested interest in Spidey movies. I just have more confidence in SM4 with Raimi and Co. doing their final movie of the series rather than recasts.

So now the Hulk will flop because Bana is gone??? Norton is the world of a better actor... Hulk will be fine...
Given that your signature thinks Mysterio is worthy of being in two Spidey films, I'm going to take this with a grain of salt. :woot:

I think for Hulk, I'll be missing Jennifer Connelly more than anything. Liv Tyler is no substitute for her.

Anyway. On topic:
I feel that Raimi and Co. (the actors) will stay on through 4. It's been so dodgy trying to get them to confirm this that I think 5 and 6 will be pushing it. I think by then though, seeing how much "grown up Parker" varies from the nerdy 1960s character, it would be time for a change. Maguire isn't really growing up in that same way. I was at my peak of Spidey-reading during the 90s, and we was a mature, handsome and somewhat curly-haired character. He was still a genius, but with Raimi and Tobey, he'll always just be a nerd.

If we ever do get a new actor for Spidey, I hope it's someone lankier. Edward Norton-esque, but with muscle, y'know?
Tobey's got that short-but-built Tom Cruise physique, and some of the angles they shot him at just don't look like Spidey to me.

Blame the comics, I guess. :whatever:

-Vaportrail

The Raimi hate is getting annoying. The man brought to life one of our favorite superheros and in turn creating the best superhero franchise with the crowning glory, SM2. Sure SM3 had flaws but you have to understand the reasons behind the decisions. No it wasn't the best film but to be a fickle fan is pathetic, it was still loads better than most of the superhero movies made to date. You can bash Raimi all you want but when we get a new director, new cast, etc... and it sucks...you all will be eating your fickle words. Without Raimi, Spider-Man would not be where he is today. Raimi brought in a new generation of comic fans that no comic or cartoon could ever do. If Raimi does not direct, I hope at least he stays on in production to keep the same formula he obviously has damn near perfected.

The Raimi hate is getting annoying. The man brought to life one of our favorite superheros and in turn creating the best superhero franchise with the crowning glory, SM2. Sure SM3 had flaws but you have to understand the reasons behind the decisions. No it wasn't the best film but to be a fickle fan is pathetic, it was still loads better than most of the superhero movies made to date. You can bash Raimi all you want but when we get a new director, new cast, etc... and it sucks...you all will be eating your fickle words. Without Raimi, Spider-Man would not be where he is today. Raimi brought in a new generation of comic fans that no comic or cartoon could ever do. If Raimi does not direct, I hope at least he stays on in production to keep the same formula he obviously has damn near perfected.

Amen.

I love Raimi's work on the Spidey movies. I'm very comfortable with his vision with Spider-Man, and I don't think that's a bad thing at all. Don't get me wrong, if Spider-Man 4 gets a new cast and director, I WILL give it a fair chance, but I will miss the original crew.

I'm in the category that wants Raimi and co. back for one more to tie up loose ends (yes, a wedding) and handle my favorite villain and then doesn't care about what happens afterwards.

Why? I think the stories will start to run thin, I think the A-list will be depleted and while I think there are many directors who could possibly outdo Raimi as with actors for Peter/MJ, I think the choices one will find to sign on to a SM4 or SM5 will be much more limited than SM1. You don't get actors of Tobey Maguire's calibur agreeing to play a superhero in a fourth or fifth installment as a replacement. You don't get David Fincher, who I know at one point wanted to make a Spider-Man movie and would probably be amazing at it. You don't get a James Cameron. You get a Joel Schumaucher, a Tim Story or a Brett Ratner.

Now that isn't set in stone, but I find it likely. I also have asked several non-fan friends (one who enjoyed all three a lot and two who liked the first two, but were abivalent about the third) about seeing a possible Spider-Man 4 (which they were surprised was being made as they all thought 3 was the end b/c of the stupid trilogy mindeset) without Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst as Peter/MJ.

They coulldn't give a lick of difference about who Sam Raimi is, I simply asked would they like to see SM4 if Tobey Maguire/Kirsten Dunst were not hte leads and a different pair of actors played the characters possibly getting married. Two out right said no and one said she'd be wouldn't like it and thinks it would make the movie suck, but might see it depending on the villains.

Now, I'm not saying that the movie will bomb, but I think a recasting will be a hurdle for non-fans to take and will put a sizeable dent in the Spider-Man box office. And not because no one else can play them, but general audiences are accustomed to the idea Tobey Maguire is Spider-Man. And just as Sean Connery was James Bond, change is hard.

:up:

Given that your signature thinks Mysterio is worthy of being in two Spidey films, I'm going to take this with a grain of salt. :woot:

Not if Bruce Cambell plays him... plus I like the classic villains... who do you want instead??? Carnage? Didn't think so... plus I am tired of Goblins do don't try to convince me

Anyway. On topic:
I feel that Raimi and Co. (the actors) will stay on through 4. It's been so dodgy trying to get them to confirm this that I think 5 and 6 will be pushing it. I think by then though, seeing how much "grown up Parker" varies from the nerdy 1960s character, it would be time for a change. Maguire isn't really growing up in that same way. I was at my peak of Spidey-reading during the 90s, and we was a mature, handsome and somewhat curly-haired character. He was still a genius, but with Raimi and Tobey, he'll always just be a nerd.

If we ever do get a new actor for Spidey, I hope it's someone lankier. Edward Norton-esque, but with muscle, y'know?
Tobey's got that short-but-built Tom Cruise physique, and some of the angles they shot him at just don't look like Spidey to me.

Whoever they bring in, I think it should be close to Raimi's version of Parker... I'd even go as far as casting someone more similar to Tobey physically who can do a better job at the quips... that's why I still like the Jake G choice because of the resemblance... I am still gonna be disappointed if everyone walks... I wish they'd stop at SM4 but Lizard just can't carry a final installment. An argument for another time but just my two cents about Lizard as a villain. Eventually we are gonna need to see a Venom/Carnage or Hopgoblin, or Sinister Six... or a combo of more leathal villains like Electo/Vulture.

You guys can't convince me that a reptile walking on two feet and a dude wearing animal skins is anything but a serious downgrade in term of action from SM3... I am not saying SM3 was better for it... it obviously wasn't... but that is scaling down WAY too much... add extended scenes of making wedding preparations on top of that... and it don't sound like much of a summer action blockbuster to me. Its not enough... not if SM4 is to be it. Period.

I dont know why the hell you people want a wedding in SM4. They still love each other yea sure, but the events of SM3 took there relationship a couple of steps back. They went thru a whole lot of **** from both each other and outside forces. There not just gonna jump into SM4 with them ready to be married, they have to start building each others trust again and fixing problems they had. The most I see happening in the next movie is Peter proposing to MJ (like in Blader's outline of SM4, which is really good BTW).

The Raimi hate is getting annoying.

Nobody here is hating on Raimi, we just want a different take. Raimi has had 3 movies, is it too much to want another director to have a go?

The man brought to life one of our favorite superheros and in turn creating the best superhero franchise with the crowning glory, SM2.

Sure he got the chance to bring spidey to the big screen but it was a poor adaptation of the comics overall and sm2 I disagree with sm2 being the crowning glory of the series. Imo sm2 is the worst of the series.

Sure SM3 had flaws but you have to understand the reasons behind the decisions.

...and they would be...?

No it wasn't the best film but to be a fickle fan is pathetic, it was still loads better than most of the superhero movies made to date.

The majority of the movies in this genre are garbage and the spidey movies have never been good to begin with anyway. So me wanting Raimi gone has got nothing to do with being fickle but merely wanting something different.

You can bash Raimi all you want but when we get a new director, new cast, etc... and it sucks...you all will be eating your fickle words.

People like you amaze me. You seem to be disillusioned into believing that, nobody else besdies Raimi and co can make a good spidey film and at least do better, its laughable. You don't even consider this as a possibility but merely focus on one side that, anyone else is destined to fail.

Without Raimi, Spider-Man would not be where he is today.

Maybe. Either way, it could have been someone else because lets face it, spider-man was caught up in a legal battle, Raimi was just lucky to get the job. Also, there IS also the possibility that, another director could have done a much better job.

Raimi brought in a new generation of comic fans that no comic or cartoon could ever do.

I like how you think this is fact. First of all, most people who went to see spider-man knew of spider-man through the comics and cartoos, secondly, you seem to forget that, many people also got into spider-man by reading ultimate spider-man, which was released like a yera or 2 before the first movie. How many people do you know, who had no real inteerst in spider-man watched the movies and are now into the comics...I'm willing to bet you can't count all on one hand.

If Raimi does not direct, I hope at least he stays on in production to keep the same formula he obviously has damn near perfected.

Near-perfected?? Haha, sure. The only thing Raimi has perfected with his movies is, by showcasing how perfectly wrong he was at trying to adapt the source material. Raimi is no genius, he brought no original concepts and perfectly managed to establish just how much of an imagination he lacks and how little he knows of the characters.

It's got nothing to do with having a trilogy fetish, it's a matter of logic and consistency. 6 movies, with a group of actors doing 3, why not bring in a new cast for the remaining 3. You people are always first to talk about how a recast will confuse and upset the audience:whatever: yet, you're happy to bring in a new cast once your preffered story is done?:o That leaves the new cast with just two movies...which doesn't make much sense. They might as well recast for 4,5 and 6 at least for the sake of consistency.

Raimi's had his chances with his current cast to tell lizard's story and he delayed it and gave us sandman and venom. Sorry but as a fan, I shouldn't have to suffer for what may potentially be yet another 4th boring outing. New cast and crew, please.:word:

Amen.

I love Raimi's work on the Spidey movies. I'm very comfortable with his vision with Spider-Man, and I don't think that's a bad thing at all. Don't get me wrong, if Spider-Man 4 gets a new cast and director, I WILL give it a fair chance, but I will miss the original crew.

Given that there is a possibility that a new cast and crew can do better than what Raimi and co have done, I say you'll easily get over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"