Scanners remake

Galactus

Devourer of Worlds
Reaction score
Dimension Remaking Cronenberg's Scanners
Source: Variety February 28, 2007

Dimension Films has closed a deal to remake David Cronenberg's 1981 horror pic Scanners, reports Variety. The film will be directed by Darren Lynn Bousman ("Saw" II & III) and David Goyer (Batman Begins, "Blade" series) will write the script.

The story revolves around a scientist who infiltrates an underground movement of "scanners," whose telepathic abilities make them lethal weapons. The original was best remembered for an exploding head finale.

Dimension co-chairman Bob Weinstein has earmarked an early 2008 production start; the aim is to release the film later that year.

Producing the film will be Rene Malo, Pierre David, Clark Peterson, Jessika Borsiczky Goyer, Mark Burg and Oren Koules. The latter two produce and finance the "Saw" series through their Twisted Pictures.

Bousman starts production on Saw IV on April 15 and then will move directly into the rock opera Repo for Twisted Pictures and Lionsgate. Goyer will have the Scanners script ready when he finishes

Is that the movie where certain people can blow up other people's heads with their minds?

I like scanners..but I think it can be improved alot. Besides that great beginning and the insane ending...the middle was a little boring. And lets not forget the forgetable sequels

Scanners was definately not one of Cronenberg so this is a remake I look forward to seeing.

I like scanners..but I think it can be improved alot. Besides that great beginning and the insane ending...the middle was a little boring. And lets not forget the forgetable sequels

exactly. i think people only tend to remember the awesome beginning and ending and forget about the rest of the (kind of boring) movie, so they will call it a classic and damn hollywood for being out of ideas, etc, etc...

eff it, i say... scanners was a pretty good movie, i liked it, but there was a lot that could have been done better, and with the kind of talent they have behind the movie so far, they might just do that.

I like the original and some of the sequels and to me this movie deserves a remake. As long as they keep the cool powers (and improve on them) and the themes of story like industrial espionage, intrigue and conspiracies then i am all for it.

it wasnt his best film, but still, i'd prefer they leave cronenbergs early works alone. i swear if anyone tries to touch the brood, rabid, or shivers, there will be hell to pay. those films (specifically the brood) are genius!

I think Cronenberg himself should be directing this. I'm sure he can see the flaws with the original and want to improve upon it with modern technology

I think Cronenberg himself should be directing this. I'm sure he can see the flaws with the original and want to improve upon it with modern technology

that's actually not a half bad idea... even though i hated 'history of violence' with the exception of the nude and violence scenes.

I personally enjoyed HoV, the pacing was way off, but it got alot of things right. Cronenberg though hasn't really proved himself lately as a modern director, before HoV the only film of his i've liked was existenz which was about 8 years ago now.

Never liked the original, proabably won't like the remake.

I don't get it...tons of great sci-fi and fantasy novels out there that could be made into GREAT films...but instead they just keep doing re-makes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"