Spiral: From The Book Of Saw

With each clip, the more I cringe at Rock’s dramatic acting. I really wish they got someone else for the role.
Couldn't agree more. I just watched the trailer and... yikes!

To be fair, the only reason we're getting this at all is because of Rock so, questionable yelling acting aside, I'm sure he had it in his contract that he would also star.

So reviews aren't the best so far. But this is a Saw movie after all (the first only has a 50% on rottentomatoes) so I'm more curious how it's considered compared to the other sequels.

Yeah, the Saw films, even the better ones, have never really been highly rated. But I hope it's at least better than Jigsaw.

Yeah, the Saw films, even the better ones, have never really been highly rated. But I hope it's at least better than Jigsaw.
The consenus from what I've heard from fans of the series who've seen it early is that it's indeed better than the last 2 movies.

This was bad, but I haven’t liked a Saw film since the original. There are plenty of jokes in it, but they aren’t funny. The forced comedy is more cringey than the violence. Every cliche from every cop drama stacks up pretty quickly in the first twenty minutes. The twist ending is pretty typical for any cop/thriller. Meh. I guessed who the killer was pretty early on.

there were some scenes where his acting felt out of place for sure, but Rock settled into the role just fine. I've only seen the first 2-3 Saw movies but this seemed like an interesting enough take. I'd give it a 6/10.

I just wanna say Spiral's probably the best Saw sequel in a LONG time and representative of a great new direction for this franchise. Chris Rock as Zeke is probably the best protagonist we've had in this series. Making this centered on the cops as opposed to the rando criminals and one-off test people we don't care about was a smart choice, and we REALLY spend time getting into Zeke's head and how he's dealing with this crap. The S7en influence that inspired the original movie is back in full force.

And yeah, I wanna see a direct follow up to this. **** Logan and the ending of Jigsaw (the previous movie). THIS story and how it ends was far more engaging. And while the traps are more downplayed (though still brutal), there's more of an emotional gut punch the more we get, ESPECIALLY the ending. So for the love of smeg, GO SEE THIS MOVIE! It's worth the year's delay!

8/10

P.S. Anyone who tells you the twist is predictable is lying through their teeth. I made a guess as to what it was a good way through and I was 100% WRONG. I NEVER could've called what's really going on!

Last edited:
The "twist" and Rock's performance really killed this movie for me. Probably one of the worst Saw movies I've seen, if you even wanna call it a Saw movie.

The "twist" and Rock's performance really killed this movie for me. Probably one of the worst Saw movies I've seen, if you even wanna call it a Saw movie.
Admittedly, the reveal was kinda flat compared to previous twists, but at least it wasn't "Oh yeah, I was the ORIGINAL original apprentice from 10 years ago before even Hoffman and I only brought the games back to get payback on ONE crooked cop and nothing more". Seriously, **** Logan and his petty crap.

As for Chris Rock as Zeke, I thought he was fine. Bear in mind, this series has hardly been known at times to be praised for the acting aside from Tobin Bell, but Rock was not among those kind of poor performances. Hell, Sean Patrick Flannery's character's wife from Saw 7 was far worse than Chris Rock was.

Last edited:
So I’m sitting at around a 6 or 6.5. It’s weird to say I kind of loved the movie, but Rock just keeps talking too much. I’m not even going to say his acting is awful but he just drags some scenes on too long. The comedy was leaned on way too much, and a lot of it just wasn’t funny. I called the villain, but I didn’t manage to call his exact motivation so there was surprise. The rest of the movie was actually fine in my opinion, most of the traps weren’t terribly over the top or unbelievable but I do think the times given were basically unwinnable.

This was bad, but I haven’t liked a Saw film since the original. There are plenty of jokes in it, but they aren’t funny. The forced comedy is more cringey than the violence. Every cliche from every cop drama stacks up pretty quickly in the first twenty minutes. The twist ending is pretty typical for any cop/thriller. Meh. I guessed who the killer was pretty early on.
I agree. They milked the Saw franchise bone dry & honestly there really isn’t any story left to tell. I wanted to like this movie but it was so underwhelming and the twist was truly lame.

Not surprised by the critical reception. There are so many better ideas/franchises out there that can rebooted/revitalized yet Lionsgate keeps resurrecting this as if seven poorly reviewed movies aren't enough... its the same thing again and again. Give it a year or two, there's another Saw reboot/sequel that is supposed to be better than the last one.... This is the first Saw movie that I'm not watching.

I wouldn't be surprised if the title for the next film is Trap.

Not surprised by the critical reception. There are so many better ideas/franchises out there that can rebooted/revitalized yet Lionsgate keeps resurrecting this as if seven poorly reviewed movies aren't enough... its the same thing again and again. Give it a year or two, there's another Saw reboot/sequel that is supposed to be better than the last one.... This is the first Saw movie that I'm not watching.

I wouldn't be surprised if the title for the next film is Trap.

maxresdefault.jpg

Can everyone else hear this still image?

Good.

"Why does X still do this thing?"

"Anyway... This is the LAST time I support X doing that thing."

Chris Rock came to them and said he had a radical new idea.

That’s worth taking notice.
He's not even credited as a director or a writer. And since when Chris Rock became a go to actor when it comes to movies.

They could feature Chris Evans in the neXt movie and it would still be bad if the creative team compose of the director of Saw Vi and writer of the Jigsaw movie.

And why is there someone yapping above this post. I am entitled to my opinion.

I mean, welcome to horror. They milk them because they make money off of little investment.

And thats why I said "Give it a year or two, there's another Saw reboot/sequel that is supposed to be better than the last one"

They could make a hundred of Saw movies, but they are never going to convince me it'd be good just because of an actor attached to the film. A lot of people thought this would be good because of Chris Rock, and look at the critical reception. Just a little bit better than Jigsaw.

The traps were pretty tame this around.

I’m not a fan of these movies, but I have to weigh in on Chris Rock as a dramatic actor with these three words: New. Jack. City.

Funnily enough, his character actually makes a reference to that film.

This film was the only other movie in this franchise I even think is passable aside from the original.

Man I wasnt much of a fan of this at all and honestly it might be one the worst Saw movies when it comes to the performances and the direction, especially the scenes with Chris Rock which were pretty cringy at times and those cheap ass flashbacks were almost laughably bad.

I actually like Darren Lynn Bousmans other Saw sequels too with Saw II still being my favorite, but it didn't feel like he was the right here and his lack of experiance really showed IMO. I guess there's a reason why he hasn't gone on to do many big films outside of this franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"