Scream 5 in Development

Always possible, but I don’t see it that way. I think in the same way that the others took on a specific component of a franchise (sequel escalation in 2, wrapping up a trilogy in 3, remakes/reboots in 4), I think this might look to something like the most recent Halloween and show what 25 years of this **** has really done to Sidney.

Not by ignoring all but the first like Halloween did, because then it’d just be ripping that movie off, but really work everything in. By the time this hits, it’ll be a decade since 4, when the trauma of her teen years manifested all over again by warping the mind of her teenaged cousin. I think it’s fair to say she wouldn’t be all that well off after the events of that film. Show that trauma.
I would like to see a ripoff of Halloween (2018) for Nightmare on Elm Street that ignores everything after Dream Warriors and brings back Patricia Arquette along with Frank Darabont and/or Chuck Russell involved maybe.

Always possible, but I don’t see it that way. I think in the same way that the others took on a specific component of a franchise (sequel escalation in 2, wrapping up a trilogy in 3, remakes/reboots in 4), I think this might look to something like the most recent Halloween and show what 25 years of this **** has really done to Sidney.

Not by ignoring all but the first like Halloween did, because then it’d just be ripping that movie off, but really work everything in. By the time this hits, it’ll be a decade since 4, when the trauma of her teen years manifested all over again by warping the mind of her teenaged cousin. I think it’s fair to say she wouldn’t be all that well off after the events of that film. Show that trauma.

Scream is the perfect meta horror franchise and needs to continue referencing some of the tropes associated with the genre. As you noted, Halloween (2018) did a great job capturing how a central character can really be traumatized from the horrors they experience. Of course we see this in Scream 2 and 3, but I think Sidney being hunted by her own cousin really changes the dynamic and should leave her completely broken. I’d love to see how much she’s really isolated herself even more, and I think the perfect response in this world of toxic fan bases and media influence would be picking up a decade later in a world of social media that idolizes what Jill did and painting Sidney as a “victim” that needs to get over the atrocities she’s endured would be a fitting next step.

Judging by the last film from the filmmakers, I'm sure "fighting back" will definitely be a theme.

Ready-or-Not-Weaving-Gun.jpg

Yeah, I'm glad they want to bring Neve back and continue Sydney's story. You could really say something about that, this endless cycle of putting this woman through all of this because each time the horror paradigm shifts, she's the target. You could do something meta about these legacy sequels that have been in fashion. Maybe the killer wants to make a legacy Scream movie and is obsessed with that idea and is just in love with Sydney and over reveres her, sort of like a commentary on the fixation of these filmmakers these days who over revere the past but here take it to the sick extreme.

So much has changed since the fourth film, and that had that current period's number, now with social media volatile and everything and everyone so extremely polarized, you can really do something with that.

You got Blumhouse horror too, Get Out, stuff you can deal with. The point is, there's a few ways to go about this. Honestly, it's why I never roll my eyes when they bring this franchise back. For as long as there's horror and it's changing, Scream can come along and say something about the current climate and yet they're also timeless because of the strong storytelling.

Yeah, that's nothing new. Not that you have to be the most original film to be good anyway. The Scream franchise is definitely too consistent for me to be on board with any retcons. It's more justifiable with the 80s franchises because those became train wrecks over time.

Eh, there’s plenty of Sidney running for her life before being held at knife point. She never went hunting. That’s the difference.

I'm glad Neve is open to returning as Sidney and that she's in talks for Scream 5. If her deal does go through, what about Courtney Cox and David Arquette?

I think Gale and Dewey's characters have run their course, quite frankly. The franchise has always been focused on Neve's character.

I'm glad Neve is open to returning as Sidney and that she's in talks for Scream 5. If her deal does go through, what about Courtney Cox and David Arquette?

I think Gale and Dewey's characters have run their course, quite frankly. The franchise has always been focused on Neve's character.

I think they should return and someone of the three has to die or is the killer actually.

I like that the film has had a lasting trio rather than just the one final girl, but until further notice, I’m using the recent Halloween as a template for what they’re going to do, and in that case, I think Sidney needs to be without that support system.

Yeah... after 3 I was sick of Dewey and after 4 I'm sick of Gale. One of them should have died in the last film. It's still the second weakest in the franchise, due more to the fact that Wes wouldn't pull his punches anymore. Jill killing most of her friends to be famous sort of worked, but one of the main 3 should have bit it.

Sidney solo or bust.

I really like all 4 movies, and will probably watch the fifth one when it comes out. Movie 4 was unnecessary, but it was a nice change to move on from Sidney's mom as the reason for revenge.

I feel like the Scream movies need to move on from Sydney. In 4 she felt out of place imo.

I'm happy to see this seems to be moving towards happening. I haven't seen Ready or Not yet, but I've heard good things and now I'm more curious to check it out.

Like some of you have already mentioned, it'll be interesting to see what the take is for this one, since SCRE4M pretty astutely tackled the reboot/remake/legacy sequel (4 years before Force Awakens too). Even though it's not my favorite in the franchise, I have to say that subverting the whole "passing the torch to the next generation" trope in the way that they did was pretty brilliant and I was glad that the trio all survived.

I think with Scream, it's interesting because as much as it's commenting on the horror genre, I think it also sometimes manages to work as commentary on film and pop culture in general. While SCRE4M touched on a lot of the things you'd expect a more modern Scream film to touch on, I do think in general we've had about a decade since of geek culture continuing to explode, Film Twitter being what it is, horror being bigger than ever with the Blumhouse stuff. Not to mention the whole "toxic fandom" discussion, when this whole story started with two genre-heads taking things too far. I dunno, it feels like there's still surprisingly a lot there to tackle. And I have to say, as much as I still mourn the loss of Wes Craven and think he's got gigantic shoes to fill, the idea of talented filmmakers with a true love for the franchise coming on board is definitely exciting.

As to whether Gale and Dewey should return, I'm on the fence. All depends on what they'd give them to do I suppose. I think the gang reuniting to try and stop another killer definitely could risk feeling tired at this point, but I also think one of the great things about the Scream franchise is how it managed to create recurring characters that we actually care about.

I’m remembering how Kevin Williamson’s original idea for 3 was going to have Stu pulling the strings on a group of killers from prison (an idea he ended up recycling as a series in The Following) and I think that would’ve been a better “Part III of a trilogy” movie than what we got. Going back to one of the original killers would’ve been so much better than “Hey Sidney, here’s this brother you never knew you had and he put Billy and Stu up to it.”

I'd love to see Sidney return, but I assume she'll be killed off in the opening moments to shock the audience in this new "reboot".

scream4.gif

I’m remembering how Kevin Williamson’s original idea for 3 was going to have Stu pulling the strings on a group of killers from prison (an idea he ended up recycling as a series in The Following) and I think that would’ve been a better “Part III of a trilogy” movie than what we got. Going back to one of the original killers would’ve been so much better than “Hey Sidney, here’s this brother you never knew you had and he put Billy and Stu up to it.”

and for that reason, 3 is the worst in the franchise. The twist was so convoluted, but I liked the "mystery" at the studio.

I will be glad if Neve Campbell returns. This is for all intents and purposes her starring franchise. In Hollywood a lot of actresses like her tend to get aged out or recast in franchise roles like this, so I will be glad if she comes back and remains like a constant staple.

That would have worked quite well I think. Much better as a singular movie than it did as an ongoing series in the Following which was awful.

And to think Dewey died in the original ending of Scream.

Please, please, please bring back the Dewey theme from Scream 2 - which I believe was “borrowed” from Broken Arrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"