Season 3, Episode 12: “Injustice” (SPOILERS)

They are good faces.

Hoechlin out here acting circles around Cavill.

The acting on this show is legitimately amazing. For all my issues with Jordan and his actor, everything built perfectly to this moment and he played his part very well. The other three, what can you say? They are Clark, Lois, and Sam.

There’s absolutely nothing uncivil about calling out bad acting in movies on a message board for movies and tv shows.
I disagree.

wkIB4Z.gif

There’s absolutely nothing uncivil about calling out bad acting in movies on a message board for movies and tv shows.
In general, this is fair game. Absolutely. But by that same reckoning, a hypothetical fan of Cavill’s thespian skills is then entitled to rebut the criticism. At which point, an extended — and off topic — debate might ensue, which is better conducted in a more appropriate thread.

I can honestly say that I’ve appreciated all the various interpretations of Superman by the various actors who’ve played him. To wit: Reeves, Reeve, Cain, Welling, Routh, Cavill and Hoechlin. Sometimes, admittedly, it’s more about a particular scene. I.e., there’s often a “moment” when an actor seems to capture something quintessential about the character — even if his more general portrayal is not to my preference.

With regard to the scene in question — Clark confronting a petulant and insubordinate Jordan — I thought Hoechlin was excellent. (It was one of those “moments.”) However, it was also a somewhat unique circumstance, which has no obvious analogue to any other movie or TV series. Thus, it’s a bit hard to make a broad comparison. Could (for example) Dean Cain as Clark have been just as good, given the same material? Well, maybe. Or maybe not. In any event, Hoechlin’s performance stands on its own; it isn’t, IMO, further elevated only to the degree that that some other performance is lowered.

In general, this is fair game. Absolutely. But by that same reckoning, a hypothetical fan of Cavill’s thespian skills is then entitled to rebut the criticism. At which point, an extended — and off topic — debate might ensue, which is better conducted in a more appropriate thread.

I can honestly say that I’ve appreciated all the various interpretations of Superman by the various actors who’ve played him. To wit: Reeves, Reeve, Cain, Welling, Routh, Cavill and Hoechlin. Sometimes, admittedly, it’s more about a particular scene. I.e., there’s often a “moment” when an actor seems to capture something quintessential about the character — even if his more general portrayal is not to my preference.

With regard to the scene in question — Clark confronting a petulant and insubordinate Jordan — I thought Hoechlin was excellent. (It was one of those “moments.”) However, it was also a somewhat unique circumstance, which has no obvious analogue to any other movie or TV series. Thus, it’s a bit hard to make a broad comparison. Could (for example) Dean Cain as Clark have been just as good, given the same material? Well, maybe. Or maybe not. In any event, Hoechlin’s performance stands on its own; it isn’t, IMO, further elevated only to the degree that that some other performance is lowered.
That’s nice for you. Unfortunately that’s not the case for everyone. I echo Sithborg’s sentiment - Hoechlin acts circles around Cavill, who never gave anything but a flat, wooden portrayal. Cavill would never be capable of what Hoechlin’s done here - I’ve seen more than enough of his acting with other material to be extremely confident of that. You’re welcome to disagree, but there’s nothing uncivil about stating that opinion in a thread about a Superman adaptation. Cavill is the most recent Superman besides Hoechlin, and the two incarnations existed at the same time, so comparisons of the two are natural. It is what it is.

I should also point out, but "intimidating Superman" is also more of what Snyder was going for with Cavill than other incarnations.

And it also should be pointed out that a smaller actor needs to act more in order to be intimidating than Cavill. Even at his bulkiest, Hoechlin still has a smaller frame than Cavill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"