Secret Avengers

Status
Not open for further replies.
In THE MARVELS PROJECT, John Steele had been captured at the end of WWI and was being examined and experimented on by the Germans in WWII. Supposedly, it was in studying his cells that helped create the super-soldier serum, as well as variations on it. The source of his powers has never been explained (even back in the 40's), and he may be a mutant. He escaped as WWII began and did raids on the Nazi's by himself. Until his appearance in the Shadow Council, none of his post-war adventures have been chronicled.

He is an interesting foil for Steve Rogers.

The problem is, as it often has with this title, that this shouldn't be a Steve Rogers book. It is a team book. The title as Brubaker writes it should be STEVE ROGERS TEAM UP (or MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE FEATURING STEVE ROGERS & ______ ), then I don't think we'd have been so stunned.

In no way do I think it's a bad book, it's just not as great as I thought it would be. Maybe it's my own fault for having such high expectations for it. I haven no intentions of dropping it. It's nowhere near as bad as Fraction's Thor and IIM, Bendisvengers featuring the Hood and RULK.

In no way do I think it's a bad book, it's just not as great as I thought it would be. Maybe it's my own fault for having such high expectations for it. I haven no intentions of dropping it. It's nowhere near as bad as Fraction's Thor and IIM, Bendisvengers featuring the Hood and RULK.

As well as Brubaker writes Steve Rogers, I expected the Secret Avengers to be more than his supporting cast. They haven't been and I don't think they will be.

The irony is that Dan Slott wanted Beast and Wonder Man for his MIGHTY AVENGERS run and wasn't allowed to have them; I imagine he'd have had Beast do far more there than Brubaker has here.

I wonder why he wasn't allowed Wonder Man? He just disappeared from MA around Secret Invasion, I can't remember why. Now he's back all pissed off and anti-Avengers.

Dan Slott stated that he was told by editorial that he could NOT have Beast. He said in interviews that Wonder Man was NOT off limits at the time, but he wanted to have Simon paired with Beast to rekindle that "buddy team" angle and without McCoy, he wasn't interested in Simon. Which is kind of a shame, because he's bounced all over the place since.

I just don't get the motivation Bendis is trying to give Wonder Man. He was one of the greatest Avengers ever and out of the blue deemed the entire experience a waste of time. I could understand if there was a personal factor involved that bent him out of shape like Wanda or something but it makes no sense. Simon was never an angry guy like that.

Wanda could've been an understandable motivator for his change in attitude, but 1) he was a Mighty Avenger and seemed to be perfectly cool with the team after Wanda's breakdown, and 2) he seems more genuinely concerned for Wanda than angry at the Avengers in Chilren's Crusade. I'm starting to hope he's a Skrull and Secret Invasion II: Invade Secretlier is just around the corner.

At least Wonder Man is one of few characters not being butchered in AVENGERS: THE CHILDREN'S CRUSADE. He's the only Avenger who seems to refuse to accept Wanda as a de facto enemy to be defeated/killed the moment she appears. It's like he remembers she was their friend for about 40 years.

More like he remembers he was banging her for a few of those years, amirite? :awesome:

That, and she did resurrect him with her love/hex magic when he was dead. That's pretty heavy.

If only Wolverine had hooked up with Wanda (she's about the only one he hasn't hit), there would be far less tension.

No, there wouldn't. Wolverine would just tack on a "And you were selfish in bed, too!" at the end of his tirades about how Wanda is the devil incarnate.

If only Wolverine had hooked up with Wanda (she's about the only one he hasn't hit), there would be far less tension.

You kidding? You know how many of Logan's ex's wound up dead? Some by his own claws (not what it sounds like)? Or who became his mortal enemy and want to kill him and anyone who defends him?

And he's upset that Wanda never got the chance to be one of those women:o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"