Sentinels and Phoenix in X-Men 2

Electrix

Avenger
Reaction score
Zak Penn @ X-Verse

Zak, regarding X2, can you tell us how it was planned to bring Sentinels into the storyline? We've seen the design concept, we know there wasn't the budget to animate them, but how would they have been brought into the story? Was the storyline very different at the time they were mooted? Can you tell us what the general storyline of X2 was when Sentinels were included?

* The storyline was the same, except for the fact that instead of soldiers storming the house, it was prototype sentinels (their first mission.) The third act was in the same location, but Stryker was stealing Cerebro to download the list of all mutants into the Sentinels. (There was no cerebro-weapon thingy) One scene I was particularly into that got cut was, after Stryker activated the Sentinels, their program decided that the only way to really stop the mutant threat was for them to kill all mutants AND all carriers of the mutant gene. Stryker got stuck in a room with one of his own creations, it scanned him and then (because his son was a mutant) killed him.

The finale had Jean pushing the X-Men out and sealing herself in the base and then destorying all ten thousand sentinels in the base in a fiery Phoenix explosion.

Obviously, once they decided to cut the Sentinels, all that had to go.

Seems interesting...

Damn.... That would've been great to watch on screen.

X2 would have been beyond bad ass

oh my god how awesome would that have been!?!?!?!? :eek: :eek:

As cool as Sentinels would be, and as much as I want them in X-Men 3, I like the way Jean sacrificed herself in X2 better than this "destroying thousands of Sentinels at once" version.

Anyways, if Sentinels were in X2, what would we build to in X-Men 3?

The ending we got was more real....more heartfelt...

I'd love to see Magneto dismantling a set of Sentinels spinning in the air (instead we saw him in Cerebro moving panels around) and I'd love to see Phoenix destroying Sentinels too.. I'm not sure we'll get that in X3. Sentinels in the final scene seems to have been ruled out.

That would have been some much better than what we got.

That would be awesome but still X2's ending is better, I think it's more dramatic.

"The finale had Jean pushing the X-Men out and sealing herself in the base and then destorying all ten thousand sentinels in the base in a fiery Phoenix explosion"

Weird, don't'? I mean, at the end we would have seen full Phoenix without have showed her progresion during the two films?

That end would have been very espectacular, but I think I like the way it was, more in the realistic world, I mean, the tone... not so futuristic.

Nathan said:
Damn.... That would've been great to watch on screen.

Hell yea! Director's Cut RErelease!! I demand it!

Nell2ThaIzzay said:
As cool as Sentinels would be, and as much as I want them in X-Men 3, I like the way Jean sacrificed herself in X2 better than this "destroying thousands of Sentinels at once" version.

Anyways, if Sentinels were in X2, what would we build to in X-Men 3?

but the sentinals arn't in x3

they couldn't keep the sentinels because they would've costed too much and they would've looked so stupid and fake.

heres a thought:

the big explosion caused by Jean's phoenix powers of destroying all the sentials could have replaced the cyclops vs jean explosion that cracked the damn. So the damn gets cracked by Jean's explosion of the sentinals. Her eyes get the firey only like with the cyclops fight. Then the movie preceeds the same way as it did, plane wont start cause of her powers, she gets out, holds back the water while the lifting the plane, bursts into phoenix fire, lets the water consume her.

Wow, I had no idea this was how X2 was supposed to have been. I must admit, I do love the idea of the Sentinels and this would've been amazing to see on screen. But alas, we can only dream now..

Sentinels would have been a nice addition to X2, but I don't mind that they weren't included . . . well, I didn't mind because I thought they would have made an appearance in future films via Project Wideawake (other than it's head in a simulation program). They would have been a good dynamic to add to future X-films . . . not to mention Hayter's ideas concerning the Dark Phoenix Saga.

If the did that with Jean, it would have just opened up another can of worms. People would have complained about how that was nothing like how she died in the comics....blah blah blah

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"