The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Shailene Woodley COULD BE Mary Jane Watson.....in TASM3 - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
In regards to YA movies based on books, granted the true starting point was Harry Potter which triggered the Twilight movies, but Beautiful Creatures and Mortal Instruments were vast improvements over the Twilight series. And obviously Hunger Games is a hit. Haven't seen The Host yet, and Vampire Academy looks stupid, but who knows, maybe Divergent will break the mold. Maybe audiences just don't care about supernatural/sci-fi YA movies.
EDIT:
I SEE SPIDEY said:
Are you saying that both would be filmed around the same time? Because Divergent isn't a Summer film series so there is no conflict there.
Kind of yes, and kind of no. Obviously if they're filmed around the same time yes, but also if th emovie were being released around the same time at some point.

Last edited:
The Divergent sequel is scheduled for March 2015. I don't see a series like this jumping into the Summer fray unless filming on a third one is delayed for whichever reason and they have to release it during the summer.

Last edited:
If all goes well Spidey 3 will be shooting in oct of 2014 soo there may be still a chance

With the Divergent sequels having just been officially greenlit, it sounds like, based on her comments, Woodley is out simply because of the rigors associated with trying to shoot 2 huge action blockbusters in the course of a single year, which is unfortunate but understandable.

Perhaps this whole cutting MJ out of TASM2 was a blessing in disguise. It would have been worse if she made the final cut and suddenly was recast in TASM3… anyone agree?

^ It just might be at that.

I still stand by my previously-expressed feeling that we'll get someone in the role - if Woodley doesn't stay with the project - who fits the mold the PTBs used in casting the character the first time around, but we'll just have to see what happens.

Unless the MJ character is changed, we'll probably get someone similar to Woodley (either in terms of looks but acting ability as well).

I remember the X-Men films constantly showing characters with minimal roles and recasting them in the next film. Always found that annoying.

"Jubilee cameos in X-2? Cool, i look forward to seeing her in an expanded role in X-3"

:|

The X-Men films have way too many characters (excluding First Class).

I wish Kiernan Shipka were a bit older, because she'd make an excellent MJ.

The X-Men films have way too many characters (excluding First Class).

Yup and fans still want Cyclops in the movie.This time around they have both the cast of previous and present trilogy so a little hard to keepin up with all the characters.

Not much of Xmen fan though.I liked their cartoons though.Wolverine is still the most badass superhero in Marvel.

Perhaps this whole cutting MJ out of TASM2 was a blessing in disguise. It would have been worse if she made the final cut and suddenly was recast in TASM3… anyone agree?

I don't know. I think that she would have been contractually obligated to appear in TASM3. Typically, (with the exception of the throwaway cameos and continuity errors in Fox's X-men franchise) they sign these actors to multiple films to avoid conflicting production schedules, an actor backing out of a project, and unnecessary recasting. The deal that she made with Sony came before Divergent, and from the looks of things, they were mainly introducing Shailene's MJ very briefly in TASM2 to set her up as a supporting character for future films. I doubt that Sony only locked her in for that one film. Once the character was completely cut out of TASM2, it must have changed the ball game. I wouldn't be surprised if they just went back to the drawing board with things.

Last edited:
I'm still hoping that Shailene will be brought back in as the character for TASM3. To be honest, I don't see what would be the point in getting another actress when you already found a perfectly good one for the whole. And one who is the complete opposite of Kirsten Dunst.

^ Based on Woodley's own comments, she doesn't believe she has the stamina to handle the rigors of shooting two action blockbusters in the course of a single year, so Webb and Co. have very little control over the situation, especially since it doesn't sound as if she's under contract for the TASM franchise any longer.

I can't believe people were obnoxious enough to call her ugly or hideous. She must feel terrible after that. :(

I am in complete agreement with you. I know Webb cut her character from the film so they can focus more on what's going on between Peter and Gwen's relationship, which is FINE by me: Personally I find this movie is already feeling crowded with characters. I highly doubt Webb cut her from the film simply because of stupid nerd flak, but I hope that's not the case. She's probably focused on this Divergent series when they ended up nixing her on the final cut.

Otherwise, I consider it very poor judgement on the crew's part for taking needless nitpicks into account for their decision making, and for all these idiots that are starting this meaningless ruckus towards Shailene. Like I said, I doubt that's the reasoning, but I've been wrong before. I think ALL OF US can agree that if you were a fan of the first installment of Amazing Spiderman like myself (if you weren't and have no anticipation for this sequel, keep your opinion to yourself), then I think we can agree that in terms of the cast and their performances was completely A Game. :up:

I don't know this actress very well or have seen any of her work, but so far Webb has done an outstanding job of assembling some of the best actors and actresses for our beloved Web Head film adaptation, and would hope in the future for fans to be be more respectful towards the MJ cast choice if it still lands in Woods' ballpark. OR AT LEAST, I can't tell you how much I stress AT LEAST, come up with a superior argument than "She's ugly" or "Isn't hot enough to be MJ." :exp:

I can appreciate the idea of Mary Jane being this incredibly gorgeous woman that a guy like Peter would NEVER in a million years have a chance with... and THEN seeing that nerd stereotype break when he gets the girl of his dreams. We're all nerds here and seeing that on screen gives us believers that maybe there's that dazzling angel placed somewhere on this world that loves you and is meant entirely for you: and the irony of her being that Girl Next Door. It's movie magic and I get it! :yay:

But given the circumstances I've seen and appall, there's NO REASON to be sexist or demeaning. AT ALL. :dry: Let's just please be grownups about this and keep it classy folks!

^ Based on Woodley's own comments, she doesn't believe she has the stamina to handle the rigors of shooting two action blockbusters in the course of a single year, so Webb and Co. have very little control over the situation, especially since it doesn't sound as if she's under contract for the TASM franchise any longer.

Even with that being said, I'll still maintain an optimistic outlook but if she can't return, I can't blame her. Doesn't make sense for her to run herself ragged.

^ As well you should. However, her return is now less likely than it would've been had she not made the comments she made.

That's understandable. Although, at this point, I will say I'm having a hard time thinking of anyone to replace her. Woodley, from her look to her skills, had everything I would've wanted to see portrayed as Mary Jane.

Great.... At the cost of getting a respectable Gwen Stacy, we get the MJ that does NOTHING in the comics (as of now anyway). They better go with the ultimate/spectacular route, because I will not stand watching another skank version of MJ.

^ huh?

We haven't gotten any MJ yet, and spectacular and ultimate are totally different...and Raimi's MJ may not have been my favorite...but 'skank'?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"