Shane Black Directing Predator Sequel! - Part 2

It was crap, plain and simple.
I can't find the posts I made on the thread from times ago to quote myself but as I suspected the kid was one of the reason it would be a stinker. Don't involve a kid in this kind of movies.
Anyways, kid or no kid, it was just a bad Predator movie, the first AvP looks like a master piece next to it.
Edit : there was nothing interesting regarding the predator mythology, nothing.

Last edited:
You'd never have known that Larry Fong was the DP on this. It looks incredibly cheap and awful.

I respect the attempt to re-invent the franchise, but Black failed miserably. Mash-up of the most trendy movie crap.

Black and Dekker came up with the DNA upgrading garbage, which is proof positive that their vision was flawed from the get-go and they clearly don't understand why the original is so revered and viewed as a classic.

Their other grand idea was to have US military Predators.

Watching the film it's really hard for me to believe Black didn't secretly hate and resent Predator for all these years and wanted to just sabotage the franchise and try to annihilate it from ever getting resurrected again. It sounds ridiculous. I totally acknowledge that, but that's less ridiculous than the result of what this movie is.

I can't even blame you for thinking that Vile One. I still can't believe that anyone thought these were good ideas for Predator.

I know it's slightly satirical, but the Red Letter Media guys did jokingly suggest that Black and Dekker sat together and were like, "Hey, do you see all these ****** movies getting made that make a ton of money? Let's make Predators the biggest piece of **** ever and see if it makes a billion dollars." I thought the joke was funny because there's ironically a lot of truth to it.

Black and Dekker came up with the DNA upgrading garbage, which is proof positive that their vision was flawed from the get-go and they clearly don't understand why the original is so revered and viewed as a classic.

Their other grand idea was to have US military Predators.

Watching the film it's really hard for me to believe Black didn't secretly hate and resent Predator for all these years and wanted to just sabotage the franchise and try to annihilate it from ever getting resurrected again. It sounds ridiculous. I totally acknowledge that, but that's less ridiculous than the result of what this movie is.

Again, your conspiracy take on this is nuts. Take issue with the movie, by all means, but Shane Black's got better things to do than stew for 30 years on how to intentionally ruin a movie franchise he had a small part in once upon a time. Jesus Christ.

"Stargazer, that's what F it is. Haaahhahaaaa"

LMAO

Again, your conspiracy take on this is nuts. Take issue with the movie, by all means, but Shane Black's got better things to do than stew for 30 years on how to intentionally ruin a movie franchise he had a small part in once upon a time. Jesus Christ.

Far fetched? Yes. Highly improbable? Yes. Impossible? :D

I just like to think of it as Shane Black really not being as good of a director as his fans make him out to be. I feel like he just does a basic outline and a majority of his dialogue is just ad-libbed by the actor(s).

There were plenty of times I felt that a scene just dragged on with the cast just freestyling instead of keeping up a pace that moved the story along.

I think Shane Black is a better director when he's doing his own thing. I dont think he can reign himself in well enough to play in these huge pre-built blockbuster sandboxes.

And theres no need to think up conspiracies to explain how and why this Predator film is so awful. This isnt even Black's first misfire. IM3 was a big misfire imo. Critically and financially it did fine, but I think that film is a mess of questionable story and design choices. And I dont mean the twist. I liked the twist.

I think Shane Black is a better director when he's doing his own thing. I dont think he can reign himself in well enough to play in these huge pre-built blockbuster sandboxes.

And theres no need to think up conspiracies to explain how and why this Predator film is so awful. This isnt even Black's first misfire. IM3 was a big misfire imo. Critically and financially it did fine, but I think that film is a mess of questionable story and design choices. And I dont mean the twist. I liked the twist.
Shane Black does one thing really well, and I think it worked really, really well for Iron Man 3. But buddy cop style movies is all he really has in his locker. Even "Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang" is that.

Plenty of people love IM3.

A love that escapes me. The film is a basket case. Theres only one MCU film I like less than IM 3 and that's Dark World. And that's only because I had such high hopes for Dark World and it let me down in every way.

I mean, plenty of people disagree.

Iron Man 3

Personally, aside from the CG-gloss on all the action stuff I dig 3 even more than the original. And that's coming from someone who's always hated the whole Extremis concept and anything that takes Stark out of that "military-industrial-complex tech" vibe further out into the sci-fi stuff. I'd put 3 way above the 80% critical average there, hands down top 2 or 3 best MCU flicks.

The Dark World's got nothin' on IM3, nothin'. TDW truly was a pretty near-total blunder.

Yeah, i love IM3.

Despite the Mandarin twist, it's a really good and unusual MCU film.

I mean, plenty of people disagree.

Iron Man 3

Personally, aside from the CG-gloss on all the action stuff I dig 3 even more than the original. And that's coming from someone who's always hated the whole Extremis concept and anything that takes Stark out of that "military-industrial-complex tech" vibe further out into the sci-fi stuff. I'd put 3 way above the 80% critical average there, hands down top 2 or 3 best MCU flicks.

The Dark World's got nothin' on IM3, nothin'. TDW truly was a pretty near-total blunder.

Lots of people also disagree with my opinion about Civil War. I don't always agree with the majority.

Civil War was pretty blahhhh though. :oldrazz: Definitely below the other Russos flicks, their faults way more evident in that one.

Having seen Halloween 2018, that movie succeeds where this movie failes imo. And part of that is that it DOESN'T try and reinvent the wheel like this film does.

Having seen Halloween 2018, that movie succeeds where this movie failes imo. And part of that is that it DOESN'T try and reinvent the wheel like this film does.

Agreed.

Iron Man 3 is probably my 3rd least favorite Marvel film, but that doesn't mean I don't love it. I still love it, though I think the biggest issue is Killian could have been a better villain. The twist is genius, but Killian is only serviceable. If he had been even Obediah Stane quality, I think the film would rank much higher for me. That and I have an issue with Tony's under developed surgery plot. In the movie, it plays like he suddenly realized one day he could have surgery to remove the shrapnel. It's awful. They needed to at least explain why he didn't do it earlier. As it stands, Stark suffered for years with the arc reactor in his chest for no reason if getting it removed was that easy.

I think Black thought that Tony blowing up all his suits (incredibly stupid and wasteful even by Tony Stark standards) and getting his arc reactor removed would feel like Tony was admitting to himself that he is not just a suit of armor and that the reactor doesnt define him. So having reached that point and had that emotional growth he finally decides to have the surgery done. Which would act as sort end to the character's story in the trilogy.

I think Black thought that Tony blowing up all his suits (incredibly stupid and wasteful even by Tony Stark standards) and getting his arc reactor removed would feel like Tony was admitting to himself that he is not just a suit of armor and that reactor doesnt define him which would act as sort end to the character's story trilogy.

I get that. But the entire 2nd film is built around the reactor in his chest is killing him. He also was dying in the first movie from his wound. He also was drinking that same chlorophyll drink in the 1st movie, which tells me the issue with his blood being poisoned was something he was aware of being possible even then. Why didn't he, you know, just get it removed? When it was killing him and he knew it? It just makes Tony seem absurdly stupid if that was an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"