• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings General Discussion and Speculation thread

Personally, the main thing I care about is that they are finally continuing that old plot thread. I love when old plot threads are dug back up again.

Speaking of which....when the heck are we gonna get the Leader?
I think the Leader will come in the next few years.There are rumors of a Thunderbolts movie on the horizon. I really don't doubt Marvel digging up these old threads and villains after finding out about the Mandarin and what they've done in Far From Home and Endgame .

Can we get the title of this sub section of the forum changed now to "Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings"?

Or just tell Speed Force to update it.

Oh, I didn't mean changing the title of the thread (although that helps too), but the actual sub section of the forum. So the overall section is called "Shang Chi", but the sub section or sub forum would be "Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings".

Then the next time there is another movie, the new sub forum would have a different name. It's like the Captain America section which is broken down into sub forums for TFA, TWS and CW so that all discussion for those particular movies are kept in those sub forums.

I think a mod would need to change that though.

Oh, I didn't mean changing the title of the thread (although that helps too), but the actual sub section of the forum. So the overall section is called "Shang Chi", but the sub section or sub forum would be "Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings".

Then the next time there is another movie, the new sub forum would have a different name. It's like the Captain America section which is broken down into sub forums for TFA, TWS and CW so that all discussion for those particular movies are kept in those sub forums.

I think a mod would need to change that though.
I know, but I could only change the title of the thread

Forgot to mention this here, but I quite like the casting of Simu Liu. Not 100% sold on his acting ability, but I do find him likable and funny. I recently discovered him through a Canadian sitcom he’s currently doing: Kim’s Convenience. It’s on Netflix if anyone is interested.

Not sure how I feel about the Mandarin being in this. A comic accurate adaption will be cool to see, but I’ve always liked the technology vs magic aspect of his rivalry with Iron Man.

Still a wait and see for this movie, but the new details have piqued my interest.

Last edited:
I expect two things, regarding the 'Real' Mandarin:

1. He will bare absolutely no resemblance to the comic version, seeing as anything even vaguely accurate to the comic would have him be utterly and completely out of Shang-Chi's weight class

2. Fans will praise him for his alleged comics-faithfulness anyway, just like they did for the 'Fake' Mandarin in IM3 prior to the Trevor reveal

1. He will bare absolutely no resemblance to the comic version, seeing as anything even vaguely accurate to the comic would have him be utterly and completely out of Shang-Chi's weight class
That's not true at all. Shang Chi is so good he is even training Spider-Man.

2. Fans will praise him for his alleged comics-faithfulness anyway, just like they did for the 'Fake' Mandarin in IM3 prior to the Trevor reveal

In the early Iron Man comics, Mandarin didn't just point and shoot. He was meant to be a master of Karate (yes, that rather than Kung Fu) as it was still considered mysterious and somewhat unknown and mystical. So he ended up doing a lot of physical fighting against Shellhead and claimed he could crack open his armour with one punch.

So I can see that Shang Chi might go up against him physically. If he were completely mystical, then only someone like Dr Strange, Wong or Scarlet Witch could take him on.

Yeah I hope the effects of when he’s using the rings doesn’t look like it’s just him using an infinity gauntlet.

Marvel’s Shang-Chi casting ignites racism debate in China

It's already starting.

Some of these people don't understand that he's not named after their language. Comparing it to naming a villain called China is completely ridiculous and erroneous. The Mandarin is named after the term "Mandarin" which is a bureaucrat or high ranking official in Imperial China.

Marvel’s Shang-Chi casting ignites racism debate in China

It's already starting.

Some of these people don't understand that he's not named after their language. Comparing it to naming a villain called China is completely ridiculous and erroneous. The Mandarin is named after the term "Mandarin" which is a bureaucrat or high ranking official in Imperial China.

It's going to rage on till the first trailer drops. It was the same for Black Panther.
I would suggest a consultant but the filmmakers can't make their movie feeling that they are walking on eggshells or you'll end up with the tamest movie ever that takes no risks.

Feige comments about Simu casting a little bit here at 2:22

It's like Iron Man never got to personally take down the big bad who was behind his kidnapping in Afghanistan in 2008 and behind so many other things. Instead, that task ends up being left to Shang Chi.

I guess that happens in real life when someone else takes over a case, particularly a cold case. I wonder if anyone else in the MCU will be tasked with taking down someone else's villain in the end.

Yeah but we got 10 great years of an Iron Man arc. I wouldn’t change a thing, good or bad.

If it thinks it will make bank in China it may want to pray that the “insult to China” rhetorics (it is more than just the name) won’t get more steam and traction. The comments on Douban bulletin board are already ripping this a big one.

Btw I don’t read comics but has there been official Chinese characters for Shang Chi? I read 上气 a lot on the net but not only it’s not right (should be Shang Qi in pinyin in that case) they don’t really read that well (jokes of 上气不接下气 already abound). It is also free advertising for SAIC Motor (上气集团) which shares the same Chinese name.

There are many ways to stand for Shang Chi such as 尚弛 which to me reads better. But I dunno perhaps the comics already has the official Chinese characters for the title character.

Last edited:
The brainwashed idiots from mainland China who complain about everything on the internet are no better than the brainwashed idiots from America who complain about everything on the internet. Marvel should just focus on making a good movie, period. Trust the same instincts that led them to make Black Panther such a wonderful film. Make a good movie and the audience will come. Make a movie that checks a list of boxes and you wind up with Justice League.

The brainwashed idiots from mainland China who complain about everything on the internet are no better than the brainwashed idiots from America who complain about everything on the internet. Marvel should just focus on making a good movie, period. Trust the same instincts that led them to make Black Panther such a wonderful film. Make a good movie and the audience will come. Make a movie that checks a list of boxes and you wind up with Justice League.

What boxes did JL check? I agree with you though.

What boxes did JL check? I agree with you though.

JL felt like a committee of suits sat down and watched all the MCU movies and wrote a list of everything they liked about them, and then showed it to the makers of JL and said, "We want all of this in the JL film." Wisecracks, check. Young guy gets mentored by older guy, check. Tough female who's as good as the men, heroes fight each other first then fight somebody else, CGI alien invasion, villain with unclear motivation, pursuit of a magical maguffin, check, check, check.

Basically when they focus on placating people rather than telling them a story, you wind up with garbage.

JL felt like a committee of suits sat down and watched all the MCU movies and wrote a list of everything they liked about them, and then showed it to the makers of JL and said, "We want all of this in the JL film." Wisecracks, check. Young guy gets mentored by older guy, check. Tough female who's as good as the men, heroes fight each other first then fight somebody else, CGI alien invasion, villain with unclear motivation, pursuit of a magical maguffin, check, check, check.

Basically when they focus on placating people rather than telling them a story, you wind up with garbage.

Comedy should be situational, never forced.
Batman should act like Batman, Flash should act like Flash and you get the comedy when they interact. Like Guardians meeting Iron Man.

What internet does mainland China have? :o

Or what access to anything else in the world do they have? Aren't most things censored?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"