Shazam Shazam General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

I’ve stated this before and I’ll say it again, I know it’s a day dream to have him be called Captain Marvel but I’m still hoping for at least being called The Captain, dreaming I know. Just don’t care for him and the wizard both being called Shazam.

https://ew.com/movies/2018/07/23/shazam-director-captain-marvel/

While we know he's going by Shazam, "to avoid confusion" with obviously Marvel's Captain Marvel, who can actually use that name to brand and sell and merchandise their character, while DC can't.
Sandberg did hint that there might be a fun reference to the name "in the movie".

“Let’s just say we’re going to have a bit of fun with that in the movie,” director David Sandberg teases on the name change. “But he’s basically known as Shazam, which makes sense because of the confusion.”

Didn’t he go by Captain Thunder at one point? I always thought that was a much better name than Shazam.

I see.

What an idea that is.

But anyway, as far as names other than “Captain Marvel” go: Captain Thunder > Shazam (2).

Maybe he can go by Captain Thunderpants.

Well, he sort of does now. In the post-Flashpoint era, it's the form taken when all six kids (Eugene, Pedro, Mary, Freddy, Billy, and Darla) shout "Shazam!" at the same time.

http://shazam.wikia.com/wiki/Captain_Thunder

flashpoint.jpg

True, that was strictly for the FlashPoint event, where in that incarnation the kids all combine into one character.
That is not (never has been) their ongoing version.

And even though the Captain Thunder name is rooted in a DC incarnation....

Captain-Thunder-2-580x383.jpg

And the name was again explored coming out of Flashpoint in the Multiversity event as Thunderworld: ...
latest

Notice one thing, not on those covers. The name Captain Thunder.
This may be another case where DC doesn't outright or exclusively own the trade mark to the name Captain Thunder.
Which might still be owned or contested by Roy Thomas, ...
https://www.comixology.com/Captain-Thunder-and-Blue-Bolt-Vol-1/comics-series/16944
SUB003090._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Captain Thunder could be another name DC can't use to brand, market, on the cover, the poster for a movie, the name of any product, game or toy package, to promote or sell their character.

They likely either had to come up with something new, or just use the name that most already associate with the character anyway, and that is SHAZAM!

Last edited:
In case anyone was wondering: - http://collider.com/black-adam-movie-update-dwayne-johnson/#images

Producer Hiram Garcia confirms Black Adam is “definitely happening.”
“We’re actually very deep into a script on it right now, which is coming along really well,” he told Collider. “I’m really excited with the story we’ve crafted.

Producer Hiram Garcia recently explained

“So as we were developing an actual Black Adam and Shazam! movie, we were just realizing that both characters are so special that we didn’t want to compromise either of them by cramming them both into the same movie,” Garcia told Collider. “So that’s why we made the decision to let Shazam have his own standalone movie and kind of launch him properly, and then we’ll do the same for Black Adam. And so that kind of really freed things up. It allowed us to develop the right version of both.”

Although I still think he'll show up in SHAZAM!
Likely whatever Sivana was doing to access the magic, inadvertently awakens the dormant Adam. who is then revealed on your in the mid-to-end credit.

6LnV95ha98QStlAHkYy7_Z-7rSJ4lMuRi-GV0aryO_4dD8901ZxEQx5j-KDLAmZgpGf9nr8LHnVp=s1600

Setting up for 2nd film in the series, focusing on Teth Adam's back story.

Last edited:
It won't surprise me if we get one of the League members showing up in Shazam in a cameo like in a mid or post credit scene as they either happen to run into Billy or they introduce themselves to Billy and that they know what he can do as Shazam...further builds towards a JL 2 well not now but eventually

Billy actually just spotted the person who took those very first set photos and is about to go for their camera.

'Shazam!' director says film will avoid 'Captain Marvel' name

While we know he's going by Shazam, "to avoid confusion" with obviously Marvel's Captain Marvel, who can actually use that name to brand and sell and merchandise their character, while DC can't.
Sandberg did hint that there might be a fun reference to the name "in the movie".
That's great. I hope they can make it work, cause a good inside joke is good, a bad one makes the face cringe.

That's great. I hope they can make it work, cause a good inside joke is good, a bad one makes the face cringe.

It'll probably be a quick nod like Peter Parker shouting out SHAZAM!
Likely Freddy (who appears to be a superhero fanatic) will suggest the name Captain Marvel.

The costume looks much better in the latest pic! The trailer for this had me more pumped than aquaman. I think this will along with Venom will be major dark horses that will hopefully surprise at the BO

screenshot-at-sep-21-22-18-52.png

Sandberg later clarified on Reddit that it's not a new trailer

O44o26d5_o.png

Last edited:
Nice to see Sandberg still commenting on rumors and such.

I'm so excited about this movie (much more than I am for aquaman) and the new ongoing, by Geoff Johns, we'll get in november!

Yesterday at NYCC, legendary comic writer and artist Jerry Ordway, who's known for his work on The Power of Shazam! in the 1990s among many others, presented Zachary Levi with a copy of the graphic novel - and a custom illustration. From Ordway's Twitter:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"