The Dark Knight Rises Should Gordon be allowed in Bruce's Secret by the end of the Franchise?

herolee10

No More Miracles
Reaction score
My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but do you guys think that Gordon should be allowed to learn that Bruce Wayne is Batman by the end of Nolan's Franchise? I mean given that in this franchise, Gordon was there from the beginning and how this franchise has fully developed the partnership between the two than any other previous franchise, do you guys think that the film could make an exception?

Maybe if we had something like the ambiguous Year One ending, but I would think he doesn't really care to know.

I like the idea of Gordan never knowing, and at the same time, not having an interest in pursuing the answer.

I would like Gordon to get to know who really Batman is but in the very last minute because I want Batman...

...to die in Gordon's arms with an epic Hans Zimmer score. Gotham must be destroyed, the hero must die and Bane must be defeated by the cops. It would be my perfect end. Destruction, sorrow, pain, tears and hope.

I would like Gordon to get to know who really Batman is but in the very last minute because I want Batman...

...to die in Gordon's arms with an epic Hans Zimmer score. Gotham must be destroyed, the hero must die and Bane must be defeated by the cops. It would be my perfect end. Destruction, sorrow, pain, tears and hope.
Well, we all have differences in taste and all, but that would truly be a bizarre ending for a movie with the title that this one has. Instead of rising, that would be a depiction of Batman failing in almost every way.

Well, we all have differences in taste and all, but that would truly be a bizarre ending for a movie with the title that this one has. Instead of rising, that would be a depiction of Batman failing in almost every way.

:yay:

Rising from Dent and Rachel lost. Rising from his fears to be captured by the cops and come back to Gotham to help defeat Bane giving his life. Rise to become more than a hero, a legend that will live forever. Batman must die, please Mr. Nolan, kill Batman.

:p

The title is 'THE DARK KNIGHT RISES' NOT 'THE DARK KNIGHT FAILS'

LOL!

I don't see Batman's death as a fail if it saves Gotham. I see Batman's death as a win, for Gotham.

A fail would be Bruce Wayne not coming back to Gotham and staying in India.

The Dark Knight Rises and Fights Back without fears to die for the city he loves.

I guess most people see TDKR as Batman rises, defeats Bane and lives forever but as Rachel said Bruce Wayne will always need Batman. I don't see Bruce Wayne living forever without being Batman.

I see it this way. :yay:

Gotham will always need Batman.

I think Gordon should find out Bruce is Batman ONLY ONLY ONLY because this is Nolan's version of "the end of Batman's story".

Because we know this caps off the trilogy, the entire storyline for Nolan's vision of the dark knight, then it's fitting for Nolan to break conventional canon and have things occur like major characters dying, Gordon finding out Bruce is Bats, Batman and Selina becoming fully-fledged lovers (and not on-again, off-again), etc etc etc.

Plus, Nolan has already changed a lot of things... for example, I don't believe Lucius Fox, in the comics, knows Batman is Bruce Wayne, but in Nolan's world, he's known since the middle of Batman Begins.

Plus, there is a lot of dramatic tension to play around with if Gordon knows Bruce is Batman, because if Gordon investigates Bruce for being Batman, Gordon will know he'll have to throw the GCPD off the trail of Bruce, when he knows Bruce IS Bats.

A lot of people keep hoping the John Blake character is going to be something extraordinary, like he's gonna turn out to be Joker 2.0 or the Riddler in disguise, but I honestly think JGL isn't lying or being coy when he says he's just playing a cop named "John Blake". I think Blake is going to be CONVINCED Bruce is Batman and Gordon is going to have to keep covering up for Bruce... and by doing so he's going to realize Bruce is Batman and Blake is right.

Also, I think by making the whole world know Bruce is Batman, it will help put BRUCE on the spotlight and allow his character to grow and reach a fuller character arc by the trilogy's end. By letting the world know Bruce is Batman, Bruce will have to answer to the world for everything he's done, explain who he is, and prove it too.

Last edited:
Neither scenario would rub me the wrong way. However, I'd rather he found out.

Plus we also have to think that TDK ends with Batman as a villain, as the villain Gotham needs him to be, and being chased by the cops. Bizarre The Dark Knight ends as The Dark Villain? And Bruce's father, Thomas Wayne, died murdered in Gotham (also the mother). Could Bruce share his father's fate? Nolan has to close the trilogy in his own way, without thinking about the new Batman movies we will see in 10 or 15 years. I hope he dares to reinvent once again the Batman series and breaks convetional canons as GregComicFan said.

Plus we also have to think that TDK ends with Batman as a villain, as the villain Gotham needs him to be, and being chased by the cops. Bizarre The Dark Knight ends as The Dark Villain? And Bruce's father, Thomas Wayne, died murdered in Gotham (also the mother). Could Bruce share his father's fate? Nolan has to close the trilogy in his own way, without thinking about the new Batman movies we will see in 10 or 15 years. I hope he dares to reinvent once again the Batman series and breaks convetional canons as GregComicFan said.

The Dark Knight ended with Batman being labeled as a villain to the rest of Gotham (other than for those who were aware of what really went on with Dent) because Batman didn't want to let the Joker win and for me, TDK ended on what I'd consider as a traditional "cliffhanger", meaning that Batman was left in that position so that it could be resolved in the next film.

And just because Bruce's father died doesn't mean that he himself will share that fate.

If TDKR was just about Gotham's people rising as a result of Batman's death then the film has been titled incorrectly and it should be "Gotham Rises" instead.

There are SEVERAL ways to end a franchise without killing the character off.

The Dark Knight ended with Batman being labeled as a villain to the rest of Gotham (other than for those who were aware of what really went on with Dent) because Batman didn't want to let the Joker win and for me, TDK ended on what I'd consider as a traditional "cliffhanger", meaning that Batman was left in that position so that it could be resolved in the next film.

And just because Bruce's father died doesn't mean that he himself will share that fate.

If TDKR was just about Gotham's people rising as a result of Batman's death then the film has been titled incorrectly and it should be "Gotham Rises" instead.

I think I didn't explain myself well. Sorry. :yay:

When I say "as the villain Gotham needs him to be" I mean what you just said "because Batman didn't want to let the Joker win".

I don't think TDKR is about Gotham's people rising. I think is about Batman rising, about Bruce Wayne finding Batman's limits, maybe dying for Gotham, and becoming something more than a hero, a legend.

It's true there are several ways to end a franchise, I'm sure the Nolans and Warner Bros had long talks about that. :woot:

:)

No, not really. Infact not at all. 'Dark Knight' has a double meaning, referring to both The Batman himself and a play on the word 'Night' itself. The Dark Knight Rises could just as easily be a reference to the beginning of a 'New Dawn', with the Darkness rising to reveal the day. Dent himself said something like 'Just before the dawn is the darkest day'(or something like that). Also, the title can refer to Batman rising from the metaphorical dead to conquer the evil that has taken over Gotham(now this evil rises- Gordon), after he has been incapacitated by Bane.

I agree. I'm not totally against Batman dying in the film, so long as it fits the story well(and one would expect it to with Nolan). I'm only against the fanboys thinking Batman becoming a martyr is any less cliched than Bruce carrying on the fight as Batman; It's infuriating but double standards are to be expected I suppose :dry:

EDIT: Regarding my first point i don't think i actually read your post properly, sorry. But i'll leave it up- too tired..

As for Gordon, i'm not sure what purpose it would serve for him to know. If it has a purpose, then i'm all for it. If there is no purpose, then it should remain a secret to him.

I think it would be a poignant moment; Bruce revealing himself to Gordon; it would tie nicely to that scene of a young bruce being consoled by Gordon in the police station, following his parents' death in Batman Begins. Gordon finally realizing that that kid is actually the Batman; and finally realizing the reason behind his insane commitment to being the Batman.

I wonder if it would be more powerful for Gordon to be truly pissed at Batman for being gone for a while, much like the he was in No Man's Land, and in an attempt to reconcile Bruce decides to reveal his identity... and Gordon refuses. Again, like No Man's Land. There seems to be a healthy dose of NML in this production.

I wonder if it would be more powerful for Gordon to be truly pissed at Batman for being gone for a while, much like the he was in No Man's Land, and in an attempt to reconcile Bruce decides to reveal his identity... and Gordon refuses. Again, like No Man's Land. There seems to be a healthy dose of NML in this production.

Since TDKR seems to be taking stuff from NML, I wouldn't mind or be surprised to see a reveal (or an attempt at it) based on the latter.

The title is 'THE DARK KNIGHT RISES' NOT 'THE DARK KNIGHT FAILS'

LOL!

You know, it would be pretty funny if that was the ending and when it cut to the credits instead of saying, "The Dark Knight Rises" the title card says, "FAIL". :awesome:

If you've been following ANY of the set pictures and reports, Batman is pretty obviously fighting alongside the cops. It's pretty clear that, for whatever reason (most likely Bane revealing the truth about Two-Face, as indicated by him ripping up the picture of Dent and the tone of his propaganda in general), the "Batman as public enemy" plot is wrapped up at some point in the movie and Batman's name is cleared.

I've always liked the idea that Gordon knew/knows and quietly kept it to himself (aside from perhaps to Bruce himself).

I like this idea, it shows that batman did his job and turned gotham around.

If the cops take out bane, that shows that the gcpd can take care of things from now on and doesn't need batman

With the Batman at Large plot probably wrapping up in the first act I would like to see little hints that Gordon does actually know that Bruce is Batman. Where they both dont say it to each other but both of them knows the other one knows...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"