The Dark Knight Rises Should Gordon be allowed in Bruce's Secret by the end of the Franchise?

I'm not a big fan of the idea. Gordon knowing who Batman is doesnt add anything to their relationship and in fact, sort of detracts from it. He doesnt need to know.
But If they have to broach the subject, do it like this:

66NML_1.jpg

tumblr_l0v2zxn8zp1qbs7aho1_500.jpg

They've already cribbed so much from Year One, let's try a little No Man's Land.

Last edited:
If they have to do it, do it like this:

66NML_1.jpg

tumblr_l0v2zxn8zp1qbs7aho1_500.jpg

They've already cribbed so much from Year One, let's try a little No Man's Land.

Exactly what I was talking about. That scene is awesome. The whole "Gordon's super pissed at Batman" plotline in NML was great IMO. With Bruce going MIA apparently in TDKR it makes perfect sense. I say that especially so if Batman disappears having getting jacked up by Bane and Talia and that leaves Gordon to take the fall for the revelation that Bane is sure to make about Dent. Plus, he's obviously hospitalized in the teaser... so whatever happens there when Bruce comes in.

I think Gordon has an inkling, but not confirmation... and deep down, he doesn't want confirmation. Because the secret identity really isn't the point. Bruce Wayne's true face is Batman, Gordon knows Batman. He knows this man better than anyone that knows simply Bruce Wayne with the exception of Alfred and Lucius.

Twist: What if Batman died in Gordon's arms with the mask on and Gordon decided not to remove it. Makes sense? Like Gordon respects Batman's secret identity even after dead? Gordon doesn't want to know because Batman has become more than a hero, more than flesh and blood, he has become a legend. With all cops helping to take the body to a secret place to rest in peace.

I keep seeing people bring this idea up.

Why does Batman have to die? What exactly do people seem to find so appealing about that?

I hate the idea that Batman will die. I think it would be a lazy way to end the series on a dramatic note. I think it isn't much of a twist. The hero doesn't have to die for the story to still be dark.

If Batman dies, I will hate this movie, I tell you now. And I say that without concern, because I believe Nolan is better than that.

I keep seeing people bring this idea up.

Why does Batman have to die? What exactly do people seem to find so appealing about that?

The epic of a man giving his life for what he believes on and for what his father believed on.

The teaser for TDKR remembers Ra's words: "if you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, and if they can't stop you, then you become something else entirely. A legend, Mr. Wayne"

:huh:

The epic of a man giving his life for what he believes on and for what his father believed on.

The teaser for TDKR remembers Ra's words: "if you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, and if they can't stop you, then you become something else entirely. A legend, Mr. Wayne"

:huh:

First of all, he doesnt have to "Give his life". How is Batman dying going to be any use to Gotham? Surely, devoting his life to what he and his parents believed in and living for those ideals makes more sense.

Secondly, what does that quote have to do with anything? Plenty of living legends out there. Batman's one of them...

First of all, he doesnt have to "Give his life". How is Batman dying going to be any use to Gotham? Surely, devoting his life to what he and his parents believed in and living for those ideals makes more sense.

Secondly, what does that quote have to do with anything? Plenty of living legends out there. Batman's one of them...

But do you see my point that a man giving his life is epic or not? :woot:

What if Batman is killed? Or betrayed by Talia, Nixon or Jhon Blake?

Well, I don't think in TDK Batman is a legend, only a hero or a villain. Depends if you ask Gordon or friends of dead cops.

:yay:

But do you see my point that a man giving his life is epic or not? :woot:

What if Batman is killed? Or betrayed by Talia, Nixon or Jhon Blake?

Well, I don't think in TDK Batman is a legend, only a hero or a villain. Depends if you ask Gordon or friends of dead cops.

A character in a movie giving his life can be epic, it depends entirely on the context. And contextually, in the universe Nolan has created, I dont see how Bruce Wayne self-indulgently laying down his life would be in context at all. Like DaveMoral said, it'd most likely come across as a cheap, lazy attempt at epicness.
Theere are plenty (plenty!) of other "epic" ways to end this series than utilising some sort of hackneyed Christ analogy.

And whether people currently perceive him as a hero or a villain is irrelevant. He's still a legend.

A character in a movie giving his life can be epic, it depends entirely on the context. And contextually, in the universe Nolan has created, I dont see how Bruce Wayne self-indulgently laying down his life would be in context at all. Like DaveMoral said, it'd most likely come across as a cheap, lazy attempt at epicness.
Theere are plenty (plenty!) of other "epic" ways to end this series than utilising some sort of hackneyed Christ analogy.

And whether people currently perceive him as a hero or a villain is irrelevant. He's still a legend.

But is there something more epic than Batman telling Gordon he killed the cops, that he will be what Gotham needs him to be because that is what Gotham needs now him to be, only to not let Joker win. That's a cheap, lazy attempt at epicness, right? And it works! It makes the best end TDK could have had. Batman giving his image to Gordon and telling him to destroy it and to chase him down. That's epic. That' s an hero about to become a legend because he loves Gotham more than he loves his alter ego, the Batman.

He could have left Joker win, left Harvey lose but decided to take everything on his back. Batman has no limits. Bruce does.

I really would love that Batman dies. Only hope Nolan has the balls because fans will destroy him. :woot:

I would like Gordon to get to know who really Batman is but in the very last minute because I want Batman...

...to die in Gordon's arms with an epic Hans Zimmer score. Gotham must be destroyed, the hero must die and Bane must be defeated by the cops. It would be my perfect end. Destruction, sorrow, pain, tears and hope.

thats dumb as hell. is that a joke

Can there be at least one Batman movie where no one learns the secret identity?

I prefer for him to not know, but I wouldn't be bothered if he did.

Rising from Dent and Rachel lost. Rising from his fears to be captured by the cops and come back to Gotham to help defeat Bane giving his life. Rise to become more than a hero, a legend that will live forever. Batman must die, please Mr. Nolan, kill Batman.

:p

I like it, and I do have a suspicion that the title has a deeper meaning than some might think.

Batman doesn't HAVE to die, but it would make sense to me if he did. Much more than retiring.

Here, let's propose two scenes:
One:
Alfred stands in the rain over the freshly dug grave of Bruce Wayne, places a rose on each of the Waynes, Thomas, Martha and Bruce, in the distance, a police car pulls up and Commissioner Gordon approaches limping up the hill. He puts his arm around Alfred and says nothing, letting the rain wash away their tears.

Two:
After having saved Gotham from certain self destruction, Bruce Wayne removes his cape and cowl, throwing them down to a cheering crowd of police and gothamites from atop The Gotham Courthouse, he walks slowly to the Bat-Jet and climbs inside, Bruce fires up the engines, begins to rise above the Gotham skyline, Gordon lights up the newly wrought Bat-signal and shines it high into the night. Bruce shows up at Wayne Manor lounging in his pajamas and sipping tea while watching The View, Alfred walks in and puts the morning edition of The Gotham Gazette in his lap, it reads "Crime levels unchanged since Batman's retirement, will noone save us from ourselves?" Bruce turns and shrugs at Alfred, speaking the now infamous line "Whatta gonna do?"

Which would you prefer? Which of the two says "Epic Conclusion" more to you? :)

Gordon puts his arm around Alfred? They sure got close.

Gordon puts his arm around Alfred? They sure got close
Grief... is natures most powerful aphrodisiac
But seriously Gordon didn't know Bruce as a child and comforted him...

Batman doesn't HAVE to die, but it would make sense to me if he did. Much more than retiring.

Here, let's propose two scenes:
One:
Alfred stands in the rain over the freshly dug grave of Bruce Wayne, places a rose on each of the Waynes, Thomas, Martha and Bruce, in the distance, a police car pulls up and Commissioner Gordon approaches limping up the hill. He puts his arm around Alfred and says nothing, letting the rain wash away their tears.

Two:
After having saved Gotham from certain self destruction, Bruce Wayne removes his cape and cowl, throwing them down to a cheering crowd of police and gothamites from atop The Gotham Courthouse, he walks slowly to the Bat-Jet and climbs inside, Bruce fires up the engines, begins to rise above the Gotham skyline, Gordon lights up the newly wrought Bat-signal and shines it high into the night. Bruce shows up at Wayne Manor lounging in his pajamas and sipping tea while watching The View, Alfred walks in and puts the morning edition of The Gotham Gazette in his lap, it reads "Crime levels unchanged since Batman's retirement, will noone save us from ourselves?" Bruce turns and shrugs at Alfred, speaking the now infamous line "Whatta gonna do?"

Which would you prefer? Which of the two says "Epic Conclusion" more to you? :)

Why does death immediately equate to epic?

I'm pretty sure that whatever direction Nolan chooses to go in he'll be savvy enough to pull it off, but the presumption that anything other than Batman dying... in the rain... cradled by Gordon (as the camera pulls back and he screams 'Nooooooo!' into the thunderous sky, perhaps?) would result in this series ending in a whimper is absolutely ridiculous.

Grief... is natures most powerful aphrodisiac
But seriously Gordon didn't know Bruce as a child and comforted him...

I'm not sot sure if you're serious.

Gordon shouldnt know, its not congruent with the lore. And why would Nolan and WB want to alter something so fundamental? Finality and avoiding the ever expanding balloon can be achieved by other means and be more appealing to the broader audience. Same goes for Bats dying.

Why does death immediately equate to epic?
it doesn't. but to me "Epic Conclusion" does. Maybe Nolan will be able to satisfy any and all questions at the end of TDKR, maybe people will only be satisfied if Batman lives on to fight crime, maybe his hero will give his life saving Gotham, maybe Gotham will destroy itself and Batman, maybe after the battles Bruce will pick up some mortar and start rebuilding Gotham himself, at this point there are too many maybe's. All I'm asking is which fits into the "Epic Conclusion" criteria most. To ME retiring isn't Epic

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"