The Dark Knight Rises Should Gordon be allowed in Bruce's Secret by the end of the Franchise?

Gordon shouldnt know, its not congruent with the lore. And why would Nolan and WB want to alter something so fundamental? Finality and avoiding the ever expanding balloon can be achieved by other means and be more appealing to the broader audience. Same goes for Bats dying.

He hasn't shied away from altering things that would have been considered fundamentals in the past though (The Joker being perma-white, for example).

I'm in the camp that hopes it stays ambiguous. Gordon knowing, or suspecting, but not particularly caring is what I like to imagine anyway.

it doesn't. but to me "Epic Conclusion" does. Maybe Nolan will be able to satisfy any and all questions at the end of TDKR, maybe people will only be satisfied if Batman lives on to fight crime, maybe his hero will give his life saving Gotham, maybe Gotham will destroy itself and Batman, maybe after the battles Bruce will pick up some mortar and start rebuilding Gotham himself, at this point there are too many maybe's. All I'm asking is which fits into the "Epic Conclusion" criteria most. To ME retiring isn't Epic

Maybe I should have brought this up in the 'Will Bruce Retire' thread then. :cwink:

My theory in a nutshell based solely off pics I've seen in the caption thread (I try to avoid reading every single spoiler floating on the Internet):

-Gordon figures out Bruce is Batman when both disappear after the events of TDK. This is more or less said in the teaser with Gordon in a hospital bed talking to "Batman," but who I strongly believe is just Bruce Wayne.

-Somehow Bruce Wayne's secret identity is revealed...likely through Bane, but possibly JGL's character is the one to reveal it to the world. In whichever case, that is why there is the scene of media frenzy around Bruce Wayne that was shot in Pittsburgh. This is probably near the beginning of the third act as Selina Kyle, dressed as Holly Golightly, is trying to skip town when Bruce apparently confronts her.

-Batman fakes his death at the end, but really Bruce (and possibly Selina) go underground to train a whole generation of Bat-people starting with JGL ala The Dark Knight Returns, Batman Inc., etc.

That or only Gordon finds out and it more or less ends like Batman Begins, except with a sense of hope restored to the city.

With the set photo that shows a suited and ski-masked Bruce climbing out of a hospital window and the teaser... Gordon is talking to Bruce but I'm sure it's not an unmasked Bruce.

My theory in a nutshell based solely off pics I've seen in the caption thread (I try to avoid reading every single spoiler floating on the Internet):

-Gordon figures out Bruce is Batman when both disappear after the events of TDK. This is more or less said in the teaser with Gordon in a hospital bed talking to "Batman," but who I strongly believe is just Bruce Wayne.

-Somehow Bruce Wayne's secret identity is revealed...likely through Bane, but possibly JGL's character is the one to reveal it to the world. In whichever case, that is why there is the scene of media frenzy around Bruce Wayne that was shot in Pittsburgh. This is probably near the beginning of the third act as Selina Kyle, dressed as Holly Golightly, is trying to skip town when Bruce apparently confronts her.

-Batman fakes his death at the end, but really Bruce (and possibly Selina) go underground to train a whole generation of Bat-people starting with JGL ala The Dark Knight Returns, Batman Inc., etc.

That or only Gordon finds out and it more or less ends like Batman Begins, except with a sense of hope restored to the city.

Subjective, but I don't see evidence for any of this, specifically that he fakes his death and trains an army underground. Interesting theory though. The media frenzy did not seem especially frenzied either. One would be inclined to think there would be stampede of journo's there if this was the case.

As for for the hospital scene; We saw Bruce climbing out the window with a mask on. It's been rumoured that he wears a mask infront of Gordon so that he obviously knows it's Batman, but i'm not sure he'd take it off. Perhaps, but I cannot see evidence for it.

My theory on the ending was just the only way I could see it ending "epically" without killing off Batman--which will not happen. I suspect it will be more along the lines of BB's ending where Gotham's faith is restored but the mission is never over.

I had an idea what if an unmasked Bruce saves Gordon but uses the batman voice like he did with dent in tdk,and they clearly see each others faces.When Blake or someone asked who saved him and he simply says the batman...it shows he knows but will always keep the secret because of their trust and friendship

I always loved that moment from No Man's Land where Bat's went to reveal himself to Gordon and started to pull off his mask and Gordon turns away and tells him not to.

THAT is what I would like to see.

- Jow

I always felt if Gordon decided to really research Batman's identity, he would discover pretty quickly that it was Bruce.

The Wayne family tragedy was certainly front page news. It was definitely news when Wayne returns, presumably, from the grave. And within a short time span, Batman emerges, who just so happens to have a mutual friend with Wayne in Rachel Dawes, not to mention an assortment of weaponry that could only come from a few places, among them, Wayne Enterprises. On top of that, Wayne himself miraculously saves Mr. Reese, seemingly just "trying to catch the light."

Personally I would love a scene straight from Year One, where Gordon suspects Wayne and goes to the Manor to interview him. I think it would be a good opportunity for one last "Playboy" Bruce scene, and give some much needed relief in what seems to be a very dark film.

I think Gordon knowing would work better if Batman were retiring at the end. It would do well to set up an adaptation of Miller's "Dark Knight Returns" a few years down the road.

JB

Gordon shouldnt know, its not congruent with the lore. And why would Nolan and WB want to alter something so fundamental? Finality and avoiding the ever expanding balloon can be achieved by other means and be more appealing to the broader audience. Same goes for Bats dying.

These movies are like elseworld stories, it doesn't try or mean to be congruent with the main comic-book lore.

You haven't noticed by now?

I don't know if someone else suggested this..but what if Bruce visits Gordon in the hospital with a mask on, then when theyre alone in the room he goes to take the mask off. and thats when Gordon tells him he doesnt want to see his face. so Bruce keeps it on, sits down and they have the conversation thats seen in the trailer. Bruce exits through the window with the mask on, etc. like we've seen in those pics over the summer

Commish Gordon already knows bruce wayne is batman!!!

In TDKR trailer, when Gordon is in the hospital bed... he appears to be talking to Bruce about the evil that is rising... and he says "...the Batman must come back..".... and also "..we were in this together.."

When Bruce responds... he does so in BRUCE's voice.. .not the bat-growl
Bruce says. "What if he's can't"

Gordon and Bruce are clearly acknowledging that there are no secrets bw them

thoughts?

In TDKR trailer, when Gordon is in the hospital bed... he appears to be talking to Bruce about the evil that is rising... and he says "...the Batman must come back..".... and also "..we were in this together.."

thoughts?

I said it before in this thread, but given the set pick of a suited up Wayne wearing a ski mask hopping out of a hospital window is surely related to the Gordon hospital scene in the teaser. Bruce is masked. Of that I'm reasonably certain.

thoughts?

Or what if Bale has gone back (hopefully) to his BB voice, which at certain points, was just a whisper. Think the Asylum scene when he grabs Crane by the face (before we see him from Crane's perspective under the toxin) and asks "what have you been doing here?" or when Rachel wakes up in the cave, he practically sounds like normal in that scene.

Or, like I said above they take elements from Year One, maybe like the ending where I thought Gordon could see Bruce, but more or less plays it off (even the new animated movie takes that position)

Seems like he would already knows Bruce is Batman. However Batman telling him in person is a lot more meaningful.

Or what if Bale has gone back (hopefully) to his BB voice, which at certain points, was just a whisper. Think the Asylum scene when he grabs Crane by the face (before we see him from Crane's perspective under the toxin) and asks "what have you been doing here?" or when Rachel wakes up in the cave, he practically sounds like normal in that scene.

Or, like I said above they take elements from Year One, maybe like the ending where I thought Gordon could see Bruce, but more or less plays it off (even the new animated movie takes that position)

I have nothing to add except that I loved Bale's BB Batman voice(s). His delivery with Rachel during the 'rattle the cages' exchange was perfect, even more so was the scene with Flass on the roof ledge where you really felt all the years of anger and frustration billowing out of him.

I hope they go back to that.

I always loved that moment from No Man's Land where Bat's went to reveal himself to Gordon and started to pull off his mask and Gordon turns away and tells him not to.

THAT is what I would like to see.

One of the best moments in Batman comics. He also says "If I wanted to find out who you were, I could have years ago. For all you know, maybe I do."

It's been hinted at more than a few times in the comics that Gordon knows who Batman is.

Yea, um in the teaser he isnt talking to Batman but Bruce Wayne so its blatantly on screen that he knows he's Batman

Yea, um in the teaser he isnt talking to Batman but Bruce Wayne so its blatantly on screen that he knows he's Batman

How many times does it have to be said? Ski Mask! We have set pics and if you watch the teaser closer the silhouette of the man Gordon is talking to looks like he's wearing a ski mask.

Ski-Mask and whisper voice. It really connects to Bruce's first night out as Proto-Batman in BB.

Gordons not a family buddy like Fox or Alfred, he's just a guy Batman works with to fight crime, I think he doesn't care who he is, or doesnt care to voice his suspicions. Theres certaintly no reason to have an emotional reveal like to Rachael etc. I would like some kind of mention that he suspects though..like some kind of sarcastic knowing look when he meets Bruce or something.

How many times does it have to be said? Ski Mask! We have set pics and if you watch the teaser closer the silhouette of the man Gordon is talking to looks like he's wearing a ski mask.

hm, interesting, ill have to check that out

His portrayal of Batman in Begins was FAR superior. From the voice, to the menacing appeal, which was presented by the heavier looking suit as well as the stiff neck area that helps batman seem more daunting and strange even in movement. The TDK suit would not be scary if he hopped out the shadow compared to the ultra black hunched over looking batman in begins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"