The Dark Knight Rises 'Social Network' Actor Lands Role in 'Dark Knight Rises'

It was the old interview where he ruled out Mr. Freeze. It's something I've always remembered because of how people are always beating the dead horse of realism when it comes to Nolan. http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2010...ht-with-superman-we-have-a-fantastic-story-1/

Here's the relevant quote, though he could just be alluding to something as simple as Bane using venom.
His villain choices to date have steered clear of strongly supernatural or super-science characters (no Man-Bat, Mr. Freeze or Poison Ivy, for instance) but he shook his head when asked if that was a trajectory he would continue. He did however concede one tidbit: “It won’t be,” he said, “Mr. Freeze.”

Nolan's said that he's not really going for realism (at least regarding the villains) this time around. And even though I don't think we'll be seeing a Lazarus Pit or resurrected Ra's, I wouldn't prematurely rule it out, either. Nolan loves to pull the rug out from under people's feet.

I also think that this stuff about Ra's being just a name passed down in these movies is total rubbish. For one thing, it undermines the role of Neeson's character from one of Batman's greatest foes (Ra's) to a relatively minor character (Ducard). For another, if we are to believe that Neeson wasn't the "true" Ra's, then we have to believe that there are at least two Ra's al Ghuls at any given time instead of, you know, Ra's just using those guys as decoys like how he's used Ubu in the comics (and of course, this theory also begs us to ignore the decoys' physical resemblance to Ubu.) I also don't know why they would have bothered to make Neeson look somewhat like the comic book Ra's if he's not meant to be the genuine article. Even the movie's lines suggest that Ducard is the identity that is a sham: "Or cheap parlor tricks to conceal your true identity, Ra's."

Well,if theres no Lazarus Pit,then my theory is somewhat partly correct.:yay:

Cause as I said,Ra's and Ducard were spliced together for a purpose. That purpose to me was realism,to say that the conversation about being an ideal and legend is the way of immortality.

Or it could be, you know, a direct answer to a direct question. :o
But in the next two paragraphs he goes on to explain that the story "harkens back to that priority of trying to find the reality in these fantastic stories. That’s what we do.” Doesn't sound very consistent with him implying that he'll no longer be abstaining from supernatural/superscience characters.

With Nolan's bat film's suspending disbelief with what's scientifically possible, what if young Ra's isn't shown in flashbacks, but as a clone?

Far fetched speculation, but does the Lazarus Pit concept have to rely on a body going in like the comics? Couldn't the League of Shadows have the financial resources to explore cloning in the event of Ra's demise?

It's a crazy notion and out there but as everyone is trying to come up with ideas regarding what the casting means in every direction, while it would be an easy explanation Josh Pence's young Ra's is being shown in flashbacks, while the nature of Ra's character rebirth... and trying to root these in some footing of what's possible in our reality without "magical" or "supernatural" elements left to other superhero movies... cloning is possible, and the League could have the resources to have accelerated the process to perfection where they could have bred a new Ra's.

Flame away, at least it's a more original concept than all the crap about JGL being Alberto Falcone because he's young and resembled a comic panel illustration from "Long Halloween" :funny:

I'm leaning towards Ra's being more of a mentor to Bane. A father-like figure. Perhaps Bane was visited in prison by Ra's (similar to Ra's visit to Bruce while he was locked up), but Ra's chose Bruce over him to lead the league. After Ra's' demise and Bane's escape, Bane may be looking to honor his deceased father figure's vision by finishing what he started in Gotham.

This movie does seem to be gearing toward "making daddy proud".

Bruce to his father, a given.
Alberto Falcone to Carmine Falcone (IF the rumors are true)
And Bane to Ra's (as I said, father-like)

Perhaps Selina is connected to the mob, but as of now, my bets would be that she isn't part of the Falcone family.

I'm thinking Marion will end up as Talia, and the Ra's flashbacks could be her memories from when she was a girl, It doesn't have to be him training Bane. Or he's a clone bred by the LOS. That's the really far-fetched idea, but the most obvious would be training Bane, which is why I doubt that's the twist to Young Ra's.

But in the next two paragraphs he goes on to explain that the story "harkens back to that priority of trying to find the reality in these fantastic stories. That’s what we do.” Doesn't sound very consistent with him implying that he'll no longer be abstaining from supernatural/superscience characters.
How do you figure? He plainly states fantasy as the source. It's about finding the realities that make them up that he's interested in developing.

Why are we speculating if Ras will appear in present day or not when it is explicitly stated that he will appear in a flashback with the casting report?

This is another "Two-Face is NOT dead damnit!!!" wishful thinking isn't it?

Whoops... if reports confirmed flashbacks, then I'll withdraw the cloned Ra's speculation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"