The Dark Knight Will the partnership of Batman and gordon be tested in TDK?

Darkness Falls

We Could Be Heroes.....
Reaction score
I did not see a thread about this
please do not flame me for starting a new thread
like everyone here i am only expressing my opinions

Although he does not condone vigilantes, Gordon sees that it is necessary to operate outside of laws in the crime-filled Gotham City, especially since most members of Gotham's police department are mired in corruption. Before the emergence of Batman, he was increasingly jaded and disillusioned of the corruptions around him. The arrival of the Dark Knight gives the police detective the hope he needs to build a better Gotham for his wife and children. After being promoted as a lieutenant, he is determined to clean the department up from within. The detective is still clueless of who Batman is, or that he is one of the people who inspired the Dark Knight to be what he is now

He developed a Bat-Signal with the department's spare searchlight to summon Batman in times of need. Gordon called the Batman to announce his promotion on the force, his appreciation to the Dark Knight, and also to discuss a criminal whose identity is a mystery. The criminal has committed an armed robbery and double homicide, with an apparent taste for theatrics, leaving a calling card: a Joker playing card.

so in batman begins
batman saved the city and throughout the film formed a mutual respect/partnership with gordon

"I never said thank you"
"and you'll never have to"

Now in TDK we know gordon smashes the bat signal with an axe for some reason
we know the joker is going to be headliner villian
we know he is unpredictable and we know he is capable of anything

will the joker's actions create a devide between bats and gordon?

Well, as seen in the trailer, Gordon does smash the Bat Signal, so I'm guessing Gordon and batsy will have some issues with each other in TDK.

So now the "expressing my opinion" thing has become a defense to start threads.

Just a heads up = if you have to defend a thread before a second post, you're pretty much telling urself that u think it wasn't necessary.
....."but thats just my opinion."

- Jow

fair enough jow

i thought it was a good enough question
batman and gordon have had their differences in the past

good examples are
the officer down storyarc, no man's land, and the tas episode over the edge

People feel like they have to give that disclaimer cause everyone here is so easily offended and cries like little sarcastic babies when anyone slightly strays from unspoken SHH code. Compared to other message boards this place certainly isn't very friendly, but bad place, I'm still around after five and a half years so I guess conversations are at least interesting.

^ Agreed.

There is this thing on your internet browser toolbar called the "back" button. And by pressing it, you could go back to your happy place.

The beginnings of its trial, perhaps. I'd like to see it wrapped up in SOTB.

I did not see a thread about this
please do not flame me for starting a new thread
like everyone here i am only expressing my opinions

Although he does not condone vigilantes, Gordon sees that it is necessary to operate outside of laws in the crime-filled Gotham City, especially since most members of Gotham's police department are mired in corruption. Before the emergence of Batman, he was increasingly jaded and disillusioned of the corruptions around him. The arrival of the Dark Knight gives the police detective the hope he needs to build a better Gotham for his wife and children. After being promoted as a lieutenant, he is determined to clean the department up from within. The detective is still clueless of who Batman is, or that he is one of the people who inspired the Dark Knight to be what he is now

He developed a Bat-Signal with the department's spare searchlight to summon Batman in times of need. Gordon called the Batman to announce his promotion on the force, his appreciation to the Dark Knight, and also to discuss a criminal whose identity is a mystery. The criminal has committed an armed robbery and double homicide, with an apparent taste for theatrics, leaving a calling card: a Joker playing card.

so in batman begins
batman saved the city and throughout the film formed a mutual respect/partnership with gordon

"I never said thank you"
"and you'll never have to"

Now in TDK we know gordon smashes the bat signal with an axe for some reason
we know the joker is going to be headliner villian
we know he is unpredictable and we know he is capable of anything

will the joker's actions create a devide between bats and gordon?

Nice post. Interesting. But yeah, maybe Gordon smashes the Bat-Signal, so that the Joker can't use it?

I didn't want to start a new thread on this question, but in the trailer when people are scattering, whats that all about? It's in the sequence where Gordon smashes the Bat-Signal.

^ Agreed.

There is this thing on your internet browser toolbar called the "back" button. And by pressing it, you could go back to your happy place.

Dunno if that back button remark was meant as an attack, but it is kind of true. People here are intimidating to some. I don't give a ****, I'm pretty arrogant so I can't say much offends me, I already think I'm better than everyone, but for other people this place isn't always the nicest.

Has anyone thought that maybe Gordon smashes the signal to prevent batman from being arrested by i dont know Harvey Dent, as batman usually comes when he sees the signal.

Just throwing ideas around.

Gordon can't be angry at Batman for the Joker. He already existed in BB. Their partnership might be tested, but I think it has more to do with the the violence that spread when Batman took down the mob.

This is a really interesting topic... reminds me of Year One, which I just went through again today, what Gordon was up against in order to motivate him to work outside the law.

I also had a suspicion that maybe Gordon wasn't smashing the signal because he really had a falling out with bats, but because the police turned against Batman and he had to protect someone? Or his reputation? I'd like to believe that after smashing the batsignal, and the big GASP from the audience, a little while later we see Gordon sneaking out to some back alley to talk to Batman about the hostile atmosphere in the PD.

At least I think that would be a far more interesting "twist" than if it was just a straight falling out over some differences (what differences?) and Gordon just suddenly got emo on us.

PLUS - further evidence, weren't there a lot of other people standing behind him when he did it? Like... cops? So maybe it was like a bullying thing, or he was doing it just for show.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I always found the sort of love triangle between Jimbo, the police/local government, and Bats to be interesting. It always seemed to pan out that the police would be distrustful of Batman, the government or locals would blame Batman for something, and everyone would be suspicious of Gordon's relationship with Batman.

It is definitely something that he (Gordon) may have to cover up in order to protect his right hand man, because Batman is the one who can cross the lines that Gordon and the police can't, in order to bring justice.

Batman & Gordon will be like a married couple in the film. :)

It is definitely something that he (Gordon) may have to cover up in order to protect his right hand man, because Batman is the one who can cross the lines that Gordon and the police can't, in order to bring justice.

Right, so you'd figure that if he severed all ties with him in such a dramatic "I threw away everything you ever gave me!" sort of way, it would be pretty stupid. I mean, if he REALLY believed Batman to be dangerous and off his rocker, wouldn't he CONTINUE to pretend to be his friend in order to lure him into a trap and bring him down?

I hope I'm not just being hopeful. I think it's too straight forward and predictable if the movie only has the one angle of Gordon & Batman fight, Gordon breaks batsignal, Batman is all alone, Batman saves the day, Batman and Gordon kiss and make up. That's just so cliche.

Better if they're secretly working together against the rotten police department.

Gordon: ...where were you last night?
Batman: I was out, you know... patrolling.
Gordon: Well...I flashed the signal about five times. Are you talking to Harvey again?
Batman: He's just as much a part of this as you are.
Gordon: Well then, why don't you two clean up Gotham together, since you obviously don't need me! [runs off]
Batman: awww...Jim! Jim! Ughh... [cracks open a beer]

Come talk in the lounge BatmanFanatic!

Check out th trailer again. When Gordon smashes the bat-signal, there are tons of people behind him. Can't figure out how you all of you missed that detail. If Gordon was mad a Batman, why would there be a bunch of people watching him smach the bat-signal?

Batman4.jpg

Some people are mad at him, but it's not Gordon. Gordon is just doing his job.

I certainly hope that their relationship is put to the test in TDK. I'd love to see the dynamics. Plus, Bale and Oldman have great chemistry together (yes, in a completely heterosexual way).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"