The Dark Knight Will the partnership of Batman and gordon be tested in TDK?

Check out th trailer again. When Gordon smashes the bat-signal, there are tons of people behind him. Can't figure out how you all of you missed that detail. If Gordon was mad a Batman, why would there be a bunch of people watching him smach the bat-signal?

Batman4.jpg

Some people are mad at him, but it's not Gordon. Gordon is just doing his job.
Ever since seeing the trailer I knew this was the case. It's just too early for Gordon to start questioning the results the Batman is getting and what effect he's having on the city. The destruction of the signal most definitely stems from the people of Gotham being sick of all the destruction the Joker is causing and blaming Batman for instigating it, and the police force pressures Gordon to destroy the signal.

EDIT: My 666th post! Yay, Satan!

I think is the right time to question Bats, actually.
He barely knows him and Batman probably loses it with the whole Joker thing. He may even go as far as to disregard something that Gordon tells him (eg "Do ti by the book", like in TKJ), and Gordon can logically deduce that Batman just coincidentally helped Gotham with Ra's, and he is in reality a vigilante like everyone else running around.

Maybe he's being pushed to do it. I see some heads in those transparent plastic bags. And they don't look happy. Maybe they are the ones against it and are being kept shut to threaten Gordon.

I think BB3 should be the movie where Gordon starts to question Batman's presence. Like in Dark Victory.

Maybe he's being pushed to do it. I see some heads in those transparent plastic bags. And they don't look happy. Maybe they are the ones against it and are being kept shut to threaten Gordon.

im pretty sure those bags are for cameras...so they wont get wet (but this still reinforces the idea that it is a publicity stunt by the police..i love the expression of the guy right behind Gordon...he really doesnt like batman :yay:

im pretty sure those bags are for cameras...so they wont get wet (but this still reinforces the idea that it is a publicity stunt by the police)

I agree about the bags, and nice take on the fact that it may be a publicity stunt.

not everything has to be based on the comics, but he (Nolan) said that tkj & tlh influenced him in this movie. However, how do we know it's the joker and not a certain (umm) reporter who knows who batman is? You know he could use the aftermath of what happened in bb, and do a negative image of batman. Just a thought?

I hope so... that would make for some terrific drama in the movie.

I have a suspicion that smashing the batsignal has something to do with the vigilantes in the Batman outfits who are in the film. I don't know how or what, just a guess really. I don't think there'll be any huge gulf between him and Batman though, too much water under the bridge already for that.

Gaz

It could be that Gordon was ordered to get rid of it, since the DA and police consider Batman to be operating outside of the law. By using the signal, Gordon puts himself in a position that is ethically questionable, showing that he's willing to make certain allowances that would go against the basic tenets of the police for upholding the law. The observers, which may be the press as noted previously, would be there to "cover" the story to show that the GPD believes in upholding the law and is trying to prevent any showing of support for Batman.

I'm personally hoping that the Joker comes after Gordon and that would cause the strain on their relationship. His wife murdered or targeted. I'd be very happy with something like No Man's Land's whole "One Bad Day" message getting into it.

I think all the signal being smashed is the police department pressuring Gordon into severing ties between the department and Batman. It's not like he's a commissioner with the real authority to do the things he does like that. If that sentence makes any sense...

And I think the images speak for themselves with the smashing of the bat-signal and hasn't this been discussed in a variety of threads?

- Jow

One would initially be tempted to agree with you. My first impression when seeing Gordon smash the bat-signal was that Gordon was saying "Fawk you, Batman!"

But who knows? Nolan is tricky! Maybe Gordon's Batman-related budget got increased after the whole saving-the-city thing. In this case, Gordon might be destroying the old Bat-signal to make room for a new, suped-up one: "Here's your upgrade, Bat-Buddy!"*

*Please note: this post does not merit a response. It's a glacial news day.

I did not see a thread about this
please do not flame me for starting a new thread
like everyone here i am only expressing my opinions

Although he does not condone vigilantes, Gordon sees that it is necessary to operate outside of laws in the crime-filled Gotham City, especially since most members of Gotham's police department are mired in corruption. Before the emergence of Batman, he was increasingly jaded and disillusioned of the corruptions around him. The arrival of the Dark Knight gives the police detective the hope he needs to build a better Gotham for his wife and children. After being promoted as a lieutenant, he is determined to clean the department up from within. The detective is still clueless of who Batman is, or that he is one of the people who inspired the Dark Knight to be what he is now

He developed a Bat-Signal with the department's spare searchlight to summon Batman in times of need. Gordon called the Batman to announce his promotion on the force, his appreciation to the Dark Knight, and also to discuss a criminal whose identity is a mystery. The criminal has committed an armed robbery and double homicide, with an apparent taste for theatrics, leaving a calling card: a Joker playing card.

so in batman begins
batman saved the city and throughout the film formed a mutual respect/partnership with gordon

"I never said thank you"
"and you'll never have to"

Now in TDK we know gordon smashes the bat signal with an axe for some reason
we know the joker is going to be headliner villian
we know he is unpredictable and we know he is capable of anything

will the joker's actions create a devide between bats and gordon?

Yah it will be tested..

As far as that axe scene..i think Gordon might be being forced to do that.

Check out th trailer again. When Gordon smashes the bat-signal, there are tons of people behind him. Can't figure out how you all of you missed that detail. If Gordon was mad a Batman, why would there be a bunch of people watching him smach the bat-signal?

Some people are mad at him, but it's not Gordon. Gordon is just doing his job.

Didn't I JUST say that as the whole reason behind my argument? =P Well at least now there is the photo evidence.

Now that I look at it again, those are definitely a lot of cameras in rain covers, so this has to be a publicity stunt. I mean, if Gordon was privately raging at Batman, and got angry enough to smash the Bat-signal, he would just do it... he wouldn't call up the press first and get someone to film it.

Well we already know that the media will definitely have a presence in TDK, what with Mike Engel and all, so it could definitely be some sort of publicity stunt.

Well, as seen in the trailer, Gordon does smash the Bat Signal, so I'm guessing Gordon and batsy will have some issues with each other in TDK.

Same here. There is possiblity Gordon is upset that Batman did something he wouldn't want him to (the fake Batmen we seen could be part of this & that Bat was framed) or he might have been forced to destroy the Batsignal.

Gordon smashes the signal after Batman disses The 'Stache.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"