Should have Thor been able to defeat Captain Marvel?

Not to mention that, IIRC, he fealt the Odin Force slipping away him at the end of the Ragnarok arc after Asgard was destroyed.
Still, whether it left him completely or he just got de-powered remains to be seen.

Having him wind up "depowered" back to his Silver Age level would be pretty sweet. :up:

Having him wind up "depowered" back to his Silver Age level would be pretty sweet. :up:

It would definitely be an interesting twist. He'd be back up with the top tier of the MU heavy hitters. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying he wasn't before, but he'd definitely be higher up in the food chain.

Maybe have Mjolnir regain some of it's lost powers, like it's powers over time?

If JMS has Thor actually use the powers that Mjolnir never lost, I'd be happy. I don't understand why 99% of Thor's writers aren't willing to take advantage of Mjolnir's energy manipulation capabilities, for one thing.

This is true. Hell, I can't even remember the last time I've seen Thor use Mjolnir to do something other than manipulate the weather (always storm related), fire the standard energy blasts, or use it as a simple bludgeoning weapon. :huh:

Thor is one god. Marvel has the powers of 4.
One of whom is as powerful as Odin. - Zeus
Another of whom has greater raw strength than Thor. -Hercules (aroding to simonson)
Another of whom is faster than Thor. -Mercury
Another of whom has greater ednurance than Thor. - Atlas

So in any world Thor should go down.... Hard

As to the "shang tsung effect" It is explicit in his chaarcter that he has these gods powers, so yes he is as good as they are in each area he draws thier power from.

Ie CM vs Herc in arm wrestling its a draw, (unless the stamina of atlas allows him to outlast herc)

And Thor, when written well, is more than just a super-powered, muscle-brained bruiser. He's got a good share of other powers at his disposal to add to his thousands of years of experience.

Not saying he'd own Marvel, because I don't think he would. But I also don't see Marvel completely owning Thor either.
Personally, I think if they fought ten times they'd split them five each.

And Thor, when written well, is more than just a super-powered, muscle-brained bruiser. He's got a good share of other powers at his disposal to add to his thousands of years of experience.

Not saying he'd own Marvel, because I don't think he would. But I also don't see Marvel completely owning Thor either.
Personally, I think if they fought ten times they'd split them five each.

Unless you believe that thor could also take odin on and win 5/10 that makes no sense.
CM has the power of zues.
That alone, makes him thors daddy.

Unless you believe that thor could also take odin on and win 5/10 that makes no sense.

I like that statement.

"Unless you think he can dump off the trash in the backyard 5/10 times, it makes no sense. He's going to use the front yard."

Way to totally not use the same character there.

Thor is one god. Marvel has the powers of 4.
One of whom is as powerful as Odin. - Zeus
Another of whom has greater raw strength than Thor. -Hercules (aroding to simonson)
Another of whom is faster than Thor. -Mercury
Another of whom has greater ednurance than Thor. - Atlas

So in any world Thor should go down.... Hard

As to the "shang tsung effect" It is explicit in his chaarcter that he has these gods powers, so yes he is as good as they are in each area he draws thier power from.

Ie CM vs Herc in arm wrestling its a draw, (unless the stamina of atlas allows him to outlast herc)
Of course. And if Spider-Man can beat Batman and Batman can beat Superman, obviously Spider-Man can beat Superman, too.

The transitive property doesn't work in superhero battles. :o

Of course. And if Spider-Man can beat Batman and Batman can beat Superman, obviously Spider-Man can beat Superman, too.

The transitive property doesn't work in superhero battles. :o

Are you telling me that Spider-Man can't beat Superman!? Blasphemy! :cmad:

Where's Jplaya when you need him? :o

That's what's so funny...CM and Superman have fought before and usually its a pretty close fight...but god forbid any marvel character come close to defeating the all powerful superman. I think one of supes heretofore undisclosed powers is the ability to receive a powerup anytime he fights a marvel character....
As far as Im concerened, Thor takes em both. This is an endless never ending debate... its pointless to convince anyone. Thor can beat Marvel, but the Supes battle will be harder, but i still think he has the potential to smite him. Cant wait to see how he turns out when comes back from hiatus later this year.

Excuse me, but wtf are you talking about?

That's what's so funny...CM and Superman have fought before and usually its a pretty close fight...but god forbid any marvel character come close to defeating the all powerful superman. I think one of supes heretofore undisclosed powers is the ability to receive a powerup anytime he fights a marvel character....

Or you can go on Thor's abilities when fighting those two based on their origin of powers, and levels of ability, using some form of logic.

But hey, logic just isn't for everybody.

Are you telling me that Spider-Man can't beat Superman!? Blasphemy! :cmad:

Where's Jplaya when you need him? :o

I have canon scans that shows spiderman beating superman

but anyway's back to this thread. I wanted to make this topic myself but i wanted to see if it was made before.

Anyway, thor should be able to defeat captain marvel with relative ease because of the power of his hammer. I see no way in which captain marvel could get the hammer out of thors hands to win the fight

Yes BUT that is DC's version of Zeus and NOT Marvel's! So for all we know the mythological figures that CM has the powers of may not be the equivalent to thier MArvel counterparts!?

I say if written to use the powers available to him Thor should be more that a match for CM!? AS far as Superman is concerned? DC won't allow thier boyscout to lost to any non-DC character! Don't et me wrong I lover Superman but I think Thor has more powers at his disposal....

I have canon scans that shows spiderman beating superman

but anyway's back to this thread. I wanted to make this topic myself but i wanted to see if it was made before.

Anyway, thor should be able to defeat captain marvel with relative ease because of the power of his hammer. I see no way in which captain marvel could get the hammer out of thors hands to win the fight

You keep using that word, but I don't think it means what you think it means.

Points for the Princess Bride reference. Too bad you can't really convey the accent through text, though. :D

Wow! Way to bring back this thread. Anyway I do think Thor would own CM and I also think he'd defeat Supes...........with the way that JMS is writing him. He's not holding back at all. Thing is, in all of Thor's history, he was rarely one to use all his powers or show off feats of strength for some reason, even though he was created to be Marvel's Superman. I can't even recall Thor being able to withstand bullets directly(unless you count Priest's BP when he got knocked out by one). He's always been powered down or not used all his powers to their full degree for some odd reason. I'm sure Corp would agree with me.......................dude's a Thor fanatic. :o

Well, Thor has always been powered down. Captain America, in that Civil War What If, said that while among mortals, Thor has only ever used about a third of his true power, regardless of how powerful the mortal is. He's like a bull in a china shop--always afraid that the slightest lack of restraint could kill someone. Of course, I can think of several instances off the top of my head where that just makes absolutely no sense, but it's a nice thought.

JMS seems to be bumping Thor back up to truly impressive levels now, too. He went from getting knocked out by a high-caliber bullet to taking automatic rifle fire and Iron Man's repulsors without even flinching. :up:

So Corp you think he'd be able to take out Supes in a rematch now?

Depends on what the status of his super-speed is. It was revealed that Superman's always been holding back not too long ago, too. So I'd say they're about even again, only Superman consistently displays super-speed while Thor hasn't done so in years.

That's the whole misconcepton about the Thor vs. Supes thing. Supes rarely fights in full speed. He was fighting Doomsday and got killed and not once did he resort to superspeed. Same thing with Shazam. I just think the speed thing is kind of overrated since he doesn't use it in fights.

In vs. arguments, each character is generally regarded as being at his best. Superman doesn't use super-speed in fights often, but he has used it. Granted, Thor has too, but Thor's instances are older and rarer than Superman's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"