Should Some Marvel Mutants Be Fixed?

TheVelvetOnion

Sidekick
Reaction score
Dont worry i dont mean in a William Styker kind of way. But what im talking about is certain mutants whose powers have been uncontrollable, should they finally have the ability to be able to control them... For example

Rogue - sinister comments that Rogue doesnt need curing, she has the ability to control her powers so she could touch someone without it being fatel. So why after all these years has she not figured out how to do so.

Cyclops - He is one of the oldest members of the x-men, his powers are that when he opens his eyes a red lazer fires out which he doesnt seem to be able to control However, Havok and Vulcan seem to be able to manage there powers. So should Cyclops finally be able to look in a mirror and see his eyes without blowing himself up?

Beast - Now with him, following his evolution, in astonishing when a cure was presented Beast and Wolverine thought because Wolverine thought it wrong that he stopped his evolution... However does anyone else think that beast is De-Evolving? This would cause him to loose his mind maybe make him feral? as a person do you think Hank wants to De-Evolve or at least be offered a cure?

Nightcrawler - when he lost his powers was human so his mutation is that he turned blue skinned and grew a tale, and has the ability to teleport. However, is his blue skin a result of mystique's morphing ability, And does Nightcrawler have the ability to go from normal looking to blue demon? To me it seems as if there is something in his dna that would allow him to change between the two but he hasnt figured it out

So does anyone else think that maybe these characters who have flaws be aloud to master there abilities?

And when i mean flaws i know its nice for some characters to have flaws but have you noticed that no new mutant has been this flawed like these examples.

I know it isn't your topic, but the one thing that needs to be fixed is M-Day. While some could argue Morrison went overboard with the evolution thing, making mutants mundane (I disagree), M-Day went too far in the other direction; throwing the baby out with the bathwater and reducing mutants to too low a number to be socially relevant. Heck, the Inhumans may outnumber them now. The current X-Men roster may be 10% of the entire population of Earth's mutants. That simply doesn't work for the premise.

No writer within the last two years at least has convinced me that the X-Men can maintain their metaphors for race/diversity issues post M-Day. The fact that many spent a year in space to avoid dealing with it was telling.

I know it isn't your topic, but the one thing that needs to be fixed is M-Day. While some could argue Morrison went overboard with the evolution thing, making mutants mundane (I disagree), M-Day went too far in the other direction; throwing the baby out with the bathwater and reducing mutants to too low a number to be socially relevant. Heck, the Inhumans may outnumber them now. The current X-Men roster may be 10% of the entire population of Earth's mutants. That simply doesn't work for the premise.

No writer within the last two years at least has convinced me that the X-Men can maintain their metaphors for race/diversity issues post M-Day. The fact that many spent a year in space to avoid dealing with it was telling.

Exactly. And if you go back to the Lee and Kirby days, that's exactly how it's SUPPOSED to be.

They're not supposed to be "socially relevant"...they're supposed to be a group of minorities fighting for equallity.

Giving them their own country and numbers in the MILLIONS strays WAY too far from what the book is all about, imo...

So do you think this is something that needs to be fixed so x-men can go back on track... Personally i think X-Men has had too many spin off comic books...

In my oppinion there should just be two, you have X-Men, then you have X-Factor Investigations... any other spin off should be cancelled down and these two serials bee worked on more.

And when i mean flaws i know its nice for some characters to have flaws but have you noticed that no new mutant has been this flawed like these examples.

This is probably why most new mutants tend to be boring as ****.

Cyclops - He is one of the oldest members of the x-men, his powers are that when he opens his eyes a red lazer fires out which he doesnt seem to be able to control However, Havok and Vulcan seem to be able to manage there powers. So should Cyclops finally be able to look in a mirror and see his eyes without blowing himself up?.

If he looked in a mirror he would just shatter the mirror.

When you think about it it's kind of funny that Cyclops (or anybody with eyebeams) ever misses a target. All he has to do is keep looking at his target. If the target moves...follow it with his eyes.

They're not supposed to be "socially relevant"...they're supposed to be a group of minorities fighting for equallity.

normal_headdesk.jpg

When you think about it it's kind of funny that Cyclops (or anybody with eyebeams) ever misses a target. All he has to do is keep looking at his target. If the target moves...follow it with his eyes.

What about if he's fighting someone who's much faster, like Spider-Man or Quicksilver?

And the fail continues.

Last edited:
We had Uncanny, New, Astonishing... does anyone else think its time for a new revamp of the x-men series?

I liked my idea of reforming x-men minus xavier... My idea was to bring in one additional character who fix's all that has gone wrong over the past several years. My angle was to have a clone of the original nathaniel essex that he created as a fail safe if any mutant body he transfered his concious didnt work out. So this clone would be taken by a rival corporation i dont know Viper or something and he is brainwashed for many years but because he has Sinisters mind, his research for mutation is excellent. However he escapes and instead of following Sinisters path, he turns out to be the small part of sinister that had good in him. So as a result he has been fixing mutants with there problem to control there power.

This would lead to cyclops, rogue and beast being able to control there powers. This would later seem as a tool which would lead Cyclops into trusting him and making hims the new Xavier like mentor of a new x-men team. Consisting of another reality Jean Grey, Cyclops, Beast, Wolverine, Rogue and Gambit. Oh and Morph which was something i was thinking about at the time....

Born a new title Ex-Men

Actually - Wanda moved all that energy - you do realise that all that energy could re-awake Phoenix and see the return of Jean Grey?

What about if he's fighting someone who's much faster, like Spider-Man or Quicksilver?

Quicksilver could move so fast that Cyke wouldn't see him but Spidey isn't usually portrayed that way.

not supposed to be "socially relevant"... supposed to be minorities fighting for equallity.

not "socially relevant"... minorities fighting for equallity.

facepalm2.jpg

Indeed? Well, please feel free to enlighten me on YOUR take on Stan & Jack's original storyline. :yay:

You just keep. Not. Getting. It.

Quicksilver could move so fast that Cyke wouldn't see him but Spidey isn't usually portrayed that way.

Well, Cyke seemed to have a hard time tracking Spider-Man when they fought in the original Secret Wars....

No you're totally right Stacy, there could never be anything socially relevant to a story about minorities fighting for equality. Who could ever think there could be relevance to society in the fight for equality of minorities. If there's one thing you can say about society, it's that a fight for equal rights by the minorities of that society will certainly never be relevant to society in any way whatsoever.

6gj4fo.jpg

Last edited:
No you're totally right Stacy, there could never be anything socially relevant to a story about minorities fighting for equality. Who could ever think there could be relevance to society in the fight for equality of minorities. If there's one thing you can say about society, it's that a fight for equal rights by the minorities of that society will certainly never be relevant to society in ANY WAY WHATSOEVER.

Oh, that's not what i meant. Don't be silly. :woot:

I was responding to Dread's comment that there needs to be millions of mutants FOR them to be socially relevant...

Sorry for the confusion. :yay:

I was responding to Dread's comment that there needs to be millions of mutants FOR them to be socially relevant...

If that's what you gotta tell yourself.:up:

Dread's BS does that to everyone, so don't feel bad about it.

So do you think this is something that needs to be fixed so x-men can go back on track... Personally i think X-Men has had too many spin off comic books...

In my oppinion there should just be two, you have X-Men, then you have X-Factor Investigations... any other spin off should be cancelled down and these two serials bee worked on more.

I do agree, the X-Men have entirely too many spin off books. It isn't even a sales thing anymore; at least a third of these spin-off's can't be sustained past 12-18 issues anymore. The line is too weak to have as large an amount of X-books as Marvel has been used to since the 90's. But they don't learn, so they keep relaunching the same titles that die in a year anyway...

Cyclops used to have his beam bounce off objects to hit many objects at once, one could picture him doing something like that.

Actually - Wanda moved all that energy - you do realise that all that energy could re-awake Phoenix and see the return of Jean Grey?

Well, that basic logic was what Brubaker used to have Vulcan (and Darwin, who was merged with him) reawaken after being adrift in space since the battle with Karoka in GIANT SIZE X-MEN #1, which would have been over six years even in "Marvel time". The energy disruption triggered their awakening and Vulcan emerged stronger than ever.

The question is, of course, with Vulcan being the true Third Summers brother with that Shi'ar connection, where does that leave Adam X/X-Treme? Besides the dust bin of history, of course. :p

All I want for Beast is for Marvel editorial to decide once and for all what kind of cat he most resembles, and tell their artists to stick with it, just like most artists agree as to the basic idea of Norman Osborn's hairdo. I mean, Beast can look like a lion, housecat, puma, Thundercat, etc. all depending on the artist and it is almost as glaring as Logan going from mullet to mohawk between issues.

Cyclops used to have his beam bounce off objects to hit many objects at once, one could picture him doing something like that.

Yeah I remember him doing that on occasion.

But still...his beams are constantly "on" and he can see. So him missing is really just comic book logic. Like a fight with Supes, Wonder Woman or the Flash lasting more than a second.

All I want for Beast is for Marvel editorial to decide once and for all what kind of cat he most resembles, and tell their artists to stick with it, just like most artists agree as to the basic idea of Norman Osborn's hairdo. I mean, Beast can look like a lion, housecat, puma, Thundercat, etc. all depending on the artist and it is almost as glaring as Logan going from mullet to mohawk between issues.

Dammit, you made a good point, I tip my hat to you Sir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"