Should they recast Superman?

Yeah probably. But if you did it in live action, you’d need actors who were all past their prime.

Kingdom Come is one of the greatest comic book stories ever written but I feel like that's a story you adapt to conclude something. It would be a perfect ending to a Superman or NO trilogy (provided the first two movies were good and profitable).

Trying to reboot Superman by loosely adapting Kingdom Come is like rebooting Batman by loosely adapting The Dark Knight Returns (and we already know how that turned out). If you're planning to get some longevity out of the character, you don't start at the end of the story.

Precisely.

Kingdom Come is one of the greatest comic book stories ever written but I feel like that's a story you adapt to conclude something. It would be a perfect ending to a Superman or NO trilogy (provided the first two movies were good and profitable).

Trying to reboot Superman by loosely adapting Kingdom Come is like rebooting Batman by loosely adapting The Dark Knight Returns (and we already know how that turned out). If you're planning to get some longevity out of the character, you don't start at the end of the story.

Plus, movie-goers and fans alike have already rejected a grim, brooding, self-doubting Superman... You don't reboot by repeating that.

^This.

And Kingdom Come is the greatest comic book story ever written! :oldrazz:

And Kingdom Come is the greatest comic book story ever written! :oldrazz:

I agree with that statement :up:

But outside of a self contained story be in a love action or animated film I don't think it would be a good idea. Tbh I think WBs should look at doing some direct adoptions of stories that could make one or two great films with new casts etc.

Yeah, so do I. Kingdom Come was lightning in a bottle, and to be able to recapture that kind of magic in a movie, I think you need to stick pretty closely to the source material.

At this point, yes, Cavill should probably be recast.

At this point, yes, Cavill should probably be recast.

Probably, yeah. And I say that as someone who likes him and thought he was really good in MOS and his brief appearance in JL. I think any hope that Cavill had for being this generation’s Chris Reeve was effectively killed by BvS.

I agree but BvS did what may prove to be irreparable damage to Superman and possibly Batman as well. The hype for that movie was SKY HIGH but after people saw what a turd it was, it resulted in a lukewarm turnout for Justice League, a film that should have been able to pull in a billion dollars.

No, I don't think a recast is in order. The problem isn't Cavill, the problem was that until JL they didn't really give him much to work with. Even in MoS they were barely scratching the surface as to what could be done with Superman. No matter how talented an actor is, there's only so much they can do when the writing is lacking so much.

Kingdom Come is one of the greatest comic book stories ever written but I feel like that's a story you adapt to conclude something. It would be a perfect ending to a Superman or JL trilogy (provided the first two movies were good and profitable).

Kingdom Come and Dark Knight Returns are entirely meant to be standalone 'what if' stories. Neither could function as the logical and narrative conclusion to EITHER of Superman or Batman's baseline continuity.

So if they ever did adapt Kingdom Come, then it should absolutely be a standalone movie with no previous incarnations of the characters present.

No, I don't think a recast is in order. The problem isn't Cavill, the problem was that until JL they didn't really give him much to work with. Even in MoS they were barely scratching the surface as to what could be done with Superman. No matter how talented an actor is, there's only so much they can do when the writing is lacking so much.

Well, the thing is that he already has a lot of baggage from all his previous films. It's difficult to shed all of that because it has become associated with him.

He, along with Affleck, represent the less well-received side of the DCEU. It's difficult for audiences to get past that and even give him a chance, even if there is a new film that portrays him as a more classic Superman.

A new actor would feel more like a fresh start and new beginning. Plus the new actor won't have any moustache gate associated with them, unless of course they come to the film with their own moustache that can't be shaven.

I am intrigued though which one audiences found worse: Henry Cavill's moustache and the way they covered it up, or Cesar Romero's moustache and the way he covered it up?

I would love a kingdom come film but the thing is, I wouldn't trust WB to make it right any farther than I could throw them.
Something like KC would need to be a 4 hour film, which means it would need to be two films.
WB would shrink it down to two hours or under, butcher it, change things, that would leave us saying WTH is this?!?

I would love a kingdom come film but the thing is, I wouldn't trust WB to make it right any farther than I could throw them.
Something like KC would need to be a 4 hour film, which means it would need to be two films.
WB would shrink it down to two hours or under, butcher it, change things, that would leave us saying WTH is this?!?

Sadly I think you're right.

Plus, movie-goers and fans alike have already rejected a grim, brooding, self-doubting Superman... You don't reboot by repeating that.

I dunno. Although I have no desire to see the story brought to life on the big screen, I didn’t find KC Supes to be all that uncharacteristically broody. He was certainly a changed man, but he was still very recognizably Superman at his core.

I hate to say it because I really like Henry and think he could have made a terrific Superman, but his character got totally screwed over and was done so poorly that I think they do need to recast.

while you have a right to your opinion, you have to admit the DCEU is reactive to the already established highly successful MCU, and for the most part, critical reception has not been that good, especially for the ensemble films they've been straight up bad - bvs, SS and JL, and their performance in the box office kinda backs that up.

Definitely agree on that, and it's also disappointing how WB continues to screw up nearly every DC movie with that reactive attitude. Like so many others here have said, they really need a Kevin Feige type who understands the DC characters and actually knows what he's doing in order to increase the quality of the movies.

Yes it's unfortunate that the DCEU basically sucks right now and probably needs to be rebooted into something else. But I'll hate to lose Cavill because IMO he has potential and under the right director could easily become the definitive Supes and this generation's "Chris Reeve".

A Superman reboot several years down the line with a younger, fresher cast, is the way to go imo. JL should be Cavill's last but they should let the character rest a while before rebooting and getting back in the ring.

I think if they're struggling with what to do then make a Legion of Superheroes movie with a young Superman. Treat it as its own thing and even if you make a trilogy of these over 10 years or so in that time you can still reboot Superman in a series of Superman films with a different cast etc.

Definitely agree on that, and it's also disappointing how WB continues to screw up nearly every DC movie with that reactive attitude. Like so many others here have said, they really need a Kevin Feige type who understands the DC characters and actually knows what he's doing in order to increase the quality of the movies.

Yes it's unfortunate that the DCEU basically sucks right now and probably needs to be rebooted into something else. But I'll hate to lose Cavill because IMO he has potential and under the right director could easily become the definitive Supes and this generation's "Chris Reeve".
Yeah in terms of the thread, I don’t want Cavill recast - he does his job just fine. It’s the scripts of these films that suck ash or maybe the director.

The thing is I think you should give him one more shot with a better writer. He really didn't even get any Daily Planet scenes until BvS and was dead half of Justice League. give him a movie with Brainiac or Mxyptlk and see how it goes. Luthor is playd out.

I think doing Brainiac now is just gonna make it feel like another invasion story/movie.
I really think it'd be best if they made a couple movies with subplots that maybe build to a movie with Brainiac should they use him.

Personally, I'd love to see more EisenLex and I'd love to see Superman take on Metallo, Black Adam and Lobo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"