The Amazing Spider-Man So now we've seen both, which was the best? - Part 1

Oh yes, I love the argument between Peter and Ben. Although I prefer "With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility," I'm glad they used the line from USM instead. Its the same message, but still different.

raimi's first spiderman movie felt like it was just the basics of most films about teenagers and superheroes, like he ticked the box that made these film work for example...

the bullied geek who has a crush on the popular girl who likes good looking guys with cars who may be cute with him occasionally to show us why he likes her so much, then he becomes a masked super hero and she falls for the unknown super hero then the bad guy works out the hero's weakness and kidnaps her and he has to save her

i don't know why but alot of these things feel like something i seen many times before in film, while TAS actually done everything very differently

Last edited:
Spider-Man (2002) has the best 3rd act (by a mile) from the moment Goblin kidnaps MJ and breaks the cable car to the grave yard fight to the final swing.

Spider-Man 2 has the best action sequence (the clock tower/train).

ASM has the best acting.

If you could have a move that blends the subtle acting of ASM, the break neck action sequence of the SM2 train ride and the edge of your seat climax of SM1 you'd have the perfect Spider-Man movie.

Spider-Man (2002) has the best 3rd act (by a mile) from the moment Goblin kidnaps MJ and breaks the cable car to the grave yard fight to the final swing.

ASM has the best acting.

If you could have a move that blends the subtle acting of ASM, the break neck action sequence of the SM2 train ride and the edge of your seat climax of SM1 you'd have the perfect Spider-Man movie.
Let's cross our fingers for TASM2

ASM has the best acting.

I think the whole of Spider-man(2002) was a perfect film.It had very few flaws

I thought TASM had some great action sequences. Though the grave yard battle and the train battle are some great scenes. I pretty much loved every fight from all four movies.

After a lot of thinking I've discovered my main problem with ASM is that, to me, it doesn't have the heart of the original Raimi film. It's a more flagrant piece of corporate film making, albeit a very sexy one. I still greatly enjoyed it and there are great character moments in the movie accompanied by some fantastic performances from the actors, but they brushed past the Uncle Ben death to briskly. To me that is THE defining moment for Spider-man. In the 50 year history of the comic book he returns to that moment constantly, and rightfully so: it's his origin story and it's as tragic as it is poignant. They downplayed it to much for me to say this is the defining Spider-man film that I've been waiting for.
But at the same time: I love watching this movie. It's highly entertaining, well-made, and dang clever. I like it a lot.

I think the whole of Spider-man(2002) was a perfect film.It had very few flaws

After another recent viewing, the wrestling scene bothered me. I know it paralleled the comics, but there is no way that an event like that would happen without the state athletic commission shutting it down. Even with rinky-dink wrestling shows (the worked variety) there are usually safety reps there. There is no way that something advertised in the newspaper wouldn't attract police attention if untrained people were really getting their brains beaten in.

And why didn't the promoter (who saw Pete's abilities on display and his unmasked face) try to blackmail Spidey at some point? That seems like a pretty big logic problem.

I liked it better than ASM too, but it had obvious flaws.

After another recent viewing, the wrestling scene bothered me. I know it paralleled the comics, but there is no way that an event like that would happen without the state athletic commission shutting it down. Even with rinky-dink wrestling shows (the worked variety) there are usually safety reps there. There is no way that something advertised in the newspaper wouldn't attract police attention if untrained people were really getting their brains beaten in.
I dont have much idea about the laws in the US so I am not sure about that
It can be seen as a flaw,thats why I said it had very few flaws
The only origin film with no flaws is imo IM1

And why didn't the promoter (who saw Pete's abilities on display and his unmasked face) try to blackmail Spidey at some point? That seems like a pretty big logic problem.

He wasnt wearing his full costume,plus he didnt use any such powers that would immediately prove that he is Spider-man,he didnt use his webbing(Just stuck to the cage)

He probably didnt use his real name to sign up so I dont think it'll be easy for that guy to trace him back even if he comes to the conclusion that he is Spidey

He used webbing when jumping over Bonesaw

Campbell gave him the name of "Spiderman" and the cashier saw his face so,when he sees him he could recognize him as Peter Parker

In a city as big as New York,the possibility of running into Peter Parker would be extremely low

The same possibility of the killer of Uncle Ben getting superpowers :funny:

A bunch of flaws. That's basically been the entire premise of the 'Spider-movie' posts that I've been putting on my blog (largely for the benefit of this discussion. I would have posted them here but it got a bit too long). Not that you should be required to have read them, but I did list a fair number of flaws there in pretty meticulous detail. If you don't want to read what I have to say that's your prerogative, but to say that there are NO documented flaws in Raimi's films is untrue.

If you care to read over the points I've made you can choose from the specific topics in the following links...

Part 1: I talk about superhero movies in general, with a focus on this summer in particular; The thesis of my next posts.
http://fenskeland.blogspot.ca/2012/10/superhero-summer-retrospective-look-or.html

Part 2: I compare SM & TASM's origin, and discuss what essential story beats are needed to tell the story.
http://fenskeland.blogspot.ca/2012/10/spider-movie-part-ii-origin-story.html

Part 3: I compare the two films depictions of Peter Parker, and what it means to be a Nerd/outcast to the character and in modern society.
http://fenskeland.blogspot.ca/2012/10/spider-movie-part-iii-peter-parker-nerd.html

Part 4: I focus specifically on Spider-man, how Peter's alter ego complete's him, and how the two films did it differently
http://fenskeland.blogspot.ca/2012/11/spider-movie-part-iv-spider-man-cocky.html

Part 5: I compare the relationships between Peter and his respective love interests (in terms of story, not the actors)
http://fenskeland.blogspot.ca/2012/11/gwen-stacy-vs-mary-jane-babe-edition.html

Part 6: I compare the use of the Lizard and the Green Goblin and weigh the pro's and cons of both characters.
http://fenskeland.blogspot.ca/2012/11/spider-movie-part-vi-green-goblin-vs.html

Part 7: I compare SM and TASM as films, both in their context as stand-alone films, and their place as the first entry in a larger series.
http://fenskeland.blogspot.ca/2012/12/spider-movie-part-vii-serial-stand.html

I would agree that Kirsten Dunst was one of many weaknesses in the Raimi films, but the flaws of that series spread far and wide, and Kirsten was hardly the only (or even primary) problem.

This was quite well done and I have to say I agree on most points. We only differ on final grades slightly.

He wasnt wearing his full costume,plus he didnt use any such powers that would immediately prove that he is Spider-man,he didnt use his webbing(Just stuck to the cage)

He probably didnt use his real name to sign up so I dont think it'll be easy for that guy to trace him back even if he comes to the conclusion that he is Spidey

He used his webbing, his leaping/sticking ability, and his enhanced strength. Think about it: have you ever seen an MMA bout that looked even remotely like that? That match would have stuck in a lot of the fans' minds.

And tracking down the "human spider" should have been pretty easy. The promoter (shown to be a greedy man) would certainly have been tempted to cash in on a front-page celebrity wanted by the police and a major newspaper EIC. One drawing by a skilled police sketch artist and Peter would have been immediately under suspicion.

This is one of the major flaws in both the Raimi and Webb versions of the character. Spidey doesn't go to the extreme lengths he should to protect his identity. He did way too many things as Parker that would arouse people's suspicions of him, not to mention taking off his mask at every turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByUcUN_DKoQ

Ah yes he did.

Though he is wearing a mask and doesnt give a name and maybe thats why they cant trace him back

That never made sense to begin with. You have to sign a contract to get in the ring. They saw Peter's face and we know he signed a contract since he even says "This wasn't what I signed up for" when he sees the cage being dropped. So they saw Peter's face, they have his name (since he signed a contract), and they know he went by the stage name "Spider-Man" and saw him cling to walls and shoot webs. They can easily track down Peter Parker and find out he is Spider-Man.

He used his webbing, his leaping/sticking ability, and his enhanced strength. Think about it: have you ever seen an MMA bout that looked even remotely like that? That match would have stuck in a lot of the fans' minds.

And tracking down the "human spider" should have been pretty easy. The promoter (shown to be a greedy man) would certainly have been tempted to cash in on a front-page celebrity wanted by the police and a major newspaper EIC. One drawing by a skilled police sketch artist and Peter would have been immediately under suspicion.

Lets say it caught the attention of many fans,but what can they do about it? They never saw his face

As for the promoter seeing his face,Spidey appears after a period of time after that wrestling contest
Uncle Ben dies and then he spends the rest of his time to graduate high school.Its only after his graduation and after he moves that he starts his Superhero career.The promoter would have easily forgotten his face by then

This is one of the major flaws in both the Raimi and Webb versions of the character. Spidey doesn't go to the extreme lengths he should to protect his identity. He did way too many things as Parker that would arouse people's suspicions of him, not to mention taking off his mask at every turn.

Webb's Spidey not Raimi's

That never made sense to begin with. You have to sign a contract to get in the ring. They saw Peter's face and we know he signed a contract since he even says "This wasn't what I signed up for" when he sees the cage being dropped. So they saw Peter's face, they have his name (since he signed a contract), and they know he went by the stage name "Spider-Man" and saw him cling to walls and shoot webs. They can easily track down Peter Parker and find out he is Spider-Man.

He probably didnt sign up with his Real name

Lets say it caught the attention of many fans,but what can they do about it? They never saw his face

As for the promoter seeing his face,Spidey appears after a period of time after that wrestling contest
Uncle Ben dies and then he spends the rest of his time to graduate high school.Its only after his graduation and after he moves that he starts his Superhero career.The promoter would have easily forgotten his face by then

Webb's Spidey not Raimi's

Just off the top of my head: Pete's first test of his powers wasn't in any sort of disguise, his re-test after his power loss in SM2 also wasn't in a disguise, he had a minor problem with his mask on the train in SM2 and immediately took it off, he stood on two buildings--just before and just after-- his initial confrontation with Sandman without the mask in SM3.

In an age where everyone has camera phones, it stands to reason that someone would have gotten a pic of him without the mask. For both Raimi and Webb, I'm sure it came down to reservations about the lead actor having his face covered, but I thought it did a disservice on both counts.

Last edited:
I think it is sony that is telling the director's to keep the mask off as much as possible. same goes for Marvel (captain america's mask comes off randomly during battle, and thor didnt have his helmet on at all during the avengers).

Its a hollywood thing.

Exactly, a lot of time passes between his ring appearence and him actually becoming Spider-man, doubt he would remember the face of the guy he spoke to for less than 5 mins, not to mention he barely looked Peter in the eye during their whole conversation.

Also, you could argue the same flaw was in TASM, the gangster/pimp guy seeing Peter's face and actually shouting to him that he knew his fce, why didnt that guy track Peter down in TASM when he would have had the resources to do so?

I think it is sony that is telling the director's to keep the mask off as much as possible. same goes for Marvel (captain america's mask comes off randomly during battle, and thor didnt have his helmet on at all during the avengers).

Its a hollywood thing.

I do think it is a hollywood thing, in Cap Am and TA they try and get Caps helmet/mask off at any oppurtunity, same with the Spidey films.

He probably didnt sign up with his Real name

I don't think that's possible. They ask for an ID whenever you have to sign up for things like that. This would especially apply to Peter because he is still in high school and looks fairly young so ghey would have to check whether or not he is at least 18. The only possible explanation to why he couldnt get caught is if he signed up with a fake ID but there is no evidence to show that he did and that is pure speculation on my part.

I do find it funny how barely anyone addressed this part of the movie not just now but for the past 10 years. Meanwhile, Andrew's Peter does things like fight a bunch of drunk guys in a subway that don't know him, won't remember his face (because they're drunk), and will probably never see Peter again. How do people react to this?

"Oh my God!! How does the whole city not know he is Spider-Man already?????"

Blinded by nostalgia pretty much, people? :yay:

I don't think that's possible. They ask for an ID whenever you have to sign up for things like that. This would especially apply to Peter because he is still in high school and looks fairly young so ghey would have to check whether or not he is at least 18. The only possible explanation to why he couldnt get caught is if he signed up with a fake ID but there is no evidence to show that he did and that is pure speculation on my part.

I do find it funny how barely anyone addressed this part of the movie not just now but for the past 10 years. Meanwhile, Andrew's Peter does things like fight a bunch of drunk guys in a subway that don't know him, won't remember his face (because they're drunk), and will probably never see Peter again. How do people react to this?

"Oh my God!! How does the whole city not know he is Spider-Man already?????"

Blinded by nostalgia pretty much, people? :yay:

That is very true. While SM1 and SM2 are my current favorites, I agree there are many flaws, especially dealing with his identity. I always saw it as, "its just a movie," and never really cared that much about it. It didn't matter.

In Amazing Fantasy #15, Peter couldn't get paid because the promoter only writes out checks. Obviously you can't write "to the order of Spider-Man." It would have been cool if they incorporated that into the movie, but oh well.

My only problem with Andrew taking off his mask in this movie was after the school fight. In New York, there are always cameras in the hallways of public schools. Whatever. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"