The Amazing Spider-Man So now we've seen both, which was the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:up: hopefully it conclutes in the sequel like he has the guy traped about to kill him and then he remembers the "getting even" speech
from Uncle Ben and just brings him to the police

I think the hunt for the killer will interfere with his crime fighting. I think this will tear him up. When he has the chance to get the guy, he will have to drop it to do his main mission... or something like that.

WOW. That sounded horrible. But you get the idea lol :yay:

This reboot is like the exact oppisite of the effect Nolan's reboot of the Batman universe had on that franchise. Everything was damn near close to perfect in Nolan's execution and re-imagining ...

W/ the ASM ... I feel Raimi had the better tone, attitude and setting for a Spider-Man franchise ... but I definitely feel Webb had the more character centric story, and Garfield was the superior protagonist and makes the journey more engaging for the audience.

Hell, even in a film I saw just ten years ago ... and is essentially a remake, Garfield still made the film almost as fresh and engaging.

Emma Stone being a vastly superior actress and love interest as well. If you could make a melting pot of Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, and use Garfield's Peter Parker and Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy then you would have had the perfect Spider-Man film.

Raimi. Webb had stronger leads but the script was awful and the movie was generic.

I'd have to disagree sir, especially your 2nd point. Spidey did not do "nothing" about Uncle Bens death.

If the criminal is on the loose then he did nothing. Let's note that in the source material and Raimi's film- in every retelling of the story Ben's killing is wrapped up. It's Webb's "clever" approach that causes problems.

Smegger56 said:
I think the hunt for the killer will interfere with his crime fighting. I think this will tear him up. When he has the chance to get the guy, he will have to drop it to do his main mission... or something like that.

I thought catching a killer is crime fighting. Silly me.

This reboot is like the exact oppisite of the effect Nolan's reboot of the Batman universe had on that franchise. Everything was damn near close to perfect in Nolan's execution and re-imagining ...

W/ the ASM ... I feel Raimi had the better tone, attitude and setting for a Spider-Man franchise ... but I definitely feel Webb had the more character centric story, and Garfield was the superior protagonist and makes the journey more engaging for the audience.

Hell, even in a film I saw just ten years ago ... and is essentially a remake, Garfield still made the film almost as fresh and engaging.

Emma Stone being a vastly superior actress and love interest as well. If you could make a melting pot of Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, and use Garfield's Peter Parker and Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy then you would have had the perfect Spider-Man film.

Completely disagree, I think the tone and setting for ASM is perfect. It feels like 'real life' but fantastic things are happening. When Peter is telling Stacy about the Lizard in the police station it seems wacky because it just so out of place and Stacy's come back line is priceless, in the Raimi universe Stacy would have been like 'yeah, what's your point?' because weird and wacky is common place and the tone and feel of this universe.

I'm excited to see the likes of Electro in this universe and if they were to tackle Venom (I hope not) it would at least fit. I've seen ASM twice now and the only place it falls short to the Raimi universe is the villian, they fix the villian and I think you'll have one of the best superhero movies ever on your hands.

Completely disagree, I think the tone and setting for ASM is perfect. It feels like 'real life' but fantastic things are happening. When Peter is telling Stacy about the Lizard in the police station it seems wacky because it just so out of place and Stacy's come back line is priceless, in the Raimi universe Stacy would have been like 'yeah, what's your point?' because weird and wacky is common place and the tone and feel of this universe.
Spider-Man's world his inherently less believable and more quirky / eccentric ... so the more "real life" take on it makes less sense for Spider-Man and more sense for a character like Batman.

Most of Spider-Man's villains are so ridiculous, that a realistic setting makes things even cheesier. That's why there is such a battle for the soul of ASM. On one end it works, on the other it doesn't. It's realistic enough, and then a GIANT talking lizard enters the screen and things become wince enducingly bad.

Yeah a giant talking Lizard in a movie where a teenager has super strength and can climb walls. It just breaks the realism!

Come on folks!

Spider-Man's world his inherently less believable and more quirky / eccentric ... so the more "real life" take on it makes less sense for Spider-Man and more sense for a character like Batman.

Most of Spider-Man's villains are so ridiculous, that a realistic setting makes things even cheesier. That's why there is such a battle for the soul of ASM. On one end it works, on the other it doesn't. It's realistic enough, and then a GIANT talking lizard enters the screen and things become wince enducingly bad.

It's 'realistic' but still a hightend reality for instance the 3D display that Peter keys in his formula. The tone is more 'Avengers' than 'Batman'.

Yeah a giant talking Lizard in a movie where a teenager has super strength and can climb walls. It just breaks the realism!

Come on folks!

But a couple of bad one-liners could fix that according or so I've heard.

Yup, more Avengers than Batman in tone.

Which makes sense in a way.. I mean, if they plan to make deals with Disney/Marvel to have cameos.

When the emphasis is on a more believable world and setting? Yes, I can suspend disbelief on one of those ...

The giant talking lizard is so cheesy it hurts.

I feel that both movies have their positives but I have to go with Amazing. The portrayal of spidey, the relationships between the principle characters, at least to me, was better written and more thought out and it had an emotional depth to me that the first one didn't have. It had a lot to say about Peter Parker and the idea of heroism. Love it

I was talking about ASM..
No, this film very clearly aimed to be more like Batman Begins in tone, and I don't think it fits naturally with the character.

Raimi's films are more in line with the Marvel Studio stuff. The tone fits the material better.

If the criminal is on the loose then he did nothing. Let's note that in the source material and Raimi's film- in every retelling of the story Ben's killing is wrapped up. It's Webb's "clever" approach that causes problems.

I thought catching a killer is crime fighting. Silly me.

Nothing 'clever' about it. It's different. And I like this approach, alot.

Also, you missed the point. It is crime fighting, duh, but what if he sees the guy, has the chance to take him down, then something more pressing comes up. Like, I don't know, a massive explosion at a building. He has to decide now. Take Bens killer or save those precious seconds to save people from a burning building (though we've seen plenty of them in spidey lol).

Nothing 'clever' about it. It's different. And I like this approach, alot.

Also, you missed the point. It is crime fighting, duh, but what if he sees the guy, has the chance to take him down, then something more pressing comes up. Like, I don't know, a massive explosion at a building. He has to decide now. Take Bens killer or save those precious seconds to save people from a burning building (though we've seen plenty of them in spidey lol).

So, now to justify Webb's blunder you're making up ridiculous scenarios which will likely never happen?

But sure, I'll play- Spidey webs the burglar to a wall and goes to save the people in the building. Being superhuman has its perks.

Dragon, you call the film subpar as if it's fact.

I never get that impression from Dragon. He always backs up his opinions, too. He doesn't just say something and then leave it at that.

Come on folks!

Come on folks!

The Lizard is taking it too far! :cmad:

While I liked ASM, I still need a sequel to give a proper comparison. I can do my best to pick which origin I liked better, but I'm giving a chance to see how the story of Peter Parker picks up from Webb's first.

No, this film very clearly aimed to be more like Batman Begins in tone, and I don't think it fits naturally with the character.

Raimi's films are more in line with the Marvel Studio stuff. The tone fits the material better.

Eh.. whatever.

You can have your own opinions, I personally think ASM is more like the MCU than the Nolan Batman-verse.

I never get that impression from Dragon. He always backs up his opinions, too. He doesn't just say something and then leave it at that.

I always get that impression..

I dunno, I'm a new guy, I haven't really read anyone enough to know how they operate outside of a very recently released 'The Amazing Spider-Man'.

So, now to justify Webb's blunder you're making up ridiculous scenarios which will likely never happen?

But sure, I'll play- Spidey webs the burglar to a wall and goes to save the people in the building. Being superhuman has its perks.

Errr, nooo. What I have done is taken a plot point that excited me and played out an idea we could see, like we do with sequels if I'm correct. We discuss what we could see in the sequel that may carry over from he first.

That was some desperate attack there Dragon. But please, go on.

Can I ask does anyone else not do this? You know, talk about sequels and what we may see or like to see?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"