Sequels Sony wanted Mickey Rourke before he signed for IM2?

Chewy

REDACTED
Reaction score
He may not have won the Oscar, but Mickey Rourke is taking his nomination to the bank. I just heard that ICM has scored its second casting deal for Marvel's Iron Man 2. After at first being low-balled by the studio to the tune of $250K, Rourke has signed on for the role of the Russian villain in the sequel after his agent David Unger got the quote up to a "significant" level despite this punishing economic climate where the studios are taking advantage of talent. (No wonder Mickey kept thanking Unger so profusely in acceptance speeches for the BAFTA, Golden Globes, Spirit, and other awards.) But don't expect Marvel to confirm any of this: they won't until all the i's are dotted and t's crossed on the contracts. I can also tell you that Sony was considering hiring Mickey to play the villain in Spider-Man 4. Rourke happens to be in Russia this week promoting Fox Searchlight's The Wrestler, and I hear he'll start researching his new role immediately there. ICM did the same thing re its Marvel deal for Samuel L. Jackson to play the role of Nick Fury. Marvel began by low-balling, but Toni Howard got the studio up by a lot and then locked in a long-term commitment for Jackson as Fury to make as many as nine Marvel films, including Iron Man 2.

SOURCE

Who could the villain be, if they were considering Rourke? Rhino? Scorpion? Hammerhead?

Interesting, what villian does Rourke fit with? I dunno, Kraven maybe.

Last edited:
I was thinkin Rhino, but idk u never know, im just happy to hear SM4 news

I am gonna say that this bit of info is a dead giveaway that Kraven the Hunter is one of the villains in Spider-man 4.

I am willing to bet that the story will have something to do with Spidey having to tackle the lizard/dr. connors, while trying to stop Kraven from coming after both of them. And, if 4 leads into 5 like we've heard, I'd bet on a "Kraven's Last Hunt" type storyline to carry over. 4 ends with Kraven "killing" Spider-man, Kraven takes over, and so on (however they choose to adapt it for film).

Kraven or Rhino. That's what I think, I don't see anyone else he could play. I hope it's not Carnage because I think Cletus Kassidy should look weasly & skinny, not big & buff.

Yeah, as soon as I heard that I was thinking Kraven.

Eddy Brock Sr.?
Remember Grace played the more Ultimates inspired Brock jr. and what with a little bit of the symbiote surviving the third flick, perhaps they'll go down the more traditional Venom route. There's also a built in reason why he hates Spider-man.

I am missing something... where in that report does it allude to Kraven? It could easily be Scorpion or someone like that.

Not really sure who Rourke could've played. The Rhino sounds like it would suit him the best, but he has the chops and the physique to pretty much pull off any role he wants right now, so Kraven wouldn't be too farfetched either.

I am missing something... where in that report does it allude to Kraven? It could easily be Scorpion or someone like that.

People are just guessing based on physical appearance. He does look like a candidate for Kraven.

AND Kraven is a likely candidate for Spidey 4.

Cool! I wonder what Villian he would be playing, though? I'm thinking either Kraven, Rhino, or Hammerhead. I'd say Kraven.

Eddy Brock Sr.?
Remember Grace played the more Ultimates inspired Brock jr. and what with a little bit of the symbiote surviving the third flick, perhaps they'll go down the more traditional Venom route. There's also a built in reason why he hates Spider-man.

When I read the thread title I was hoping someone in here would NOT consider this happening.

They do this, and you can be certain fans will whine (imagine that). All in all, Eddie Brock/Venom was done really closely to the comic books. In fact, I'd say him and Green Goblin were the only near spot-on villains in this franchise. Doc Ock and Sandman were changed for the better, to help us feel for them more. I liked that. Goblin and Eddie aren't sympathetic in those ways (you understand their reasons still).
Comic book movies should be adaptations that throw in new ideas. If Eddie's daddy comes in and starts being "Venom" JUST to give fans what they want, it will fall hard. Giving into the demands is shooting themselves in their feet because more people will whine.

Now, before I get pounced on, I never said Venom was done 100% perfectly. I think he would have been if they had given him more time. From what I saw, it was going well enough for him to be called "Venom".

AND Kraven is a likely candidate for Spidey 4.

Why... because Lizard is in it? How many times have we heard Raimi put Vulture, Electro, even Ock's return ahead of Kraven. Don't think Raimi is thinking what the fans are thinking. Sony will give him more freedom to do what he wants to do IMO... after force feeding him Venom in SM3.

Is the Lizard in it? I was merely commenting on how Sony may decide to include Kraven. Kraven's Last Hunt is a popular story, one that can accomodate another villain (the Lizard works in place of Vermin), and it follows the successful pattern of darker, more "adult" films. As unfitting a dark tone may be for Spider-Man, Sony has no doubt taken notice of the pull that TDK raked in and may emulate it in hopes of repeating that. Kraven and his most iconic story, fit the bill.

When I read the thread title I was hoping someone in here would NOT consider this happening.

They do this, and you can be certain fans will whine (imagine that). All in all, Eddie Brock/Venom was done really closely to the comic books. In fact, I'd say him and Green Goblin were the only near spot-on villains in this franchise. Doc Ock and Sandman were changed for the better, to help us feel for them more. I liked that. Goblin and Eddie aren't sympathetic in those ways (you understand their reasons still).
Comic book movies should be adaptations that throw in new ideas. If Eddie's daddy comes in and starts being "Venom" JUST to give fans what they want, it will fall hard. Giving into the demands is shooting themselves in their feet because more people will whine.

Now, before I get pounced on, I never said Venom was done 100% perfectly. I think he would have been if they had given him more time. From what I saw, it was going well enough for him to be called "Venom".

Venom in Spidey 3 wasn't done well at all, and wasn't anywhere close to being it's comic book counterpart. Venom was Eddie Brock with super powers, where was the duality? Venom is two beings bonded together, and never once do you get the feeling that there is another living organism there with Brock. But let's stop talking about Venom. It wasn't done right, let's move on.

Rourke definitely could of been in the running to play Kraven, but what about Shocker? Herman Schultz in the classic books was an older guy, and first appeared in a story that took place after Spider-Man fought The Lizard...and broke his arm.

Interesting news. I don't know even know who this guy is. But at least we have some new news!

We don't know if Lizard is in it.

All I am saying is that Rourke could have been anybody... but somehow Kraven comes to everyone's mind first... since we all love the Lizard/Kraven angle. Doesn't suprise me of course.

Venom in Spidey 3 wasn't done well at all, and wasn't anywhere close to being it's comic book counterpart. Venom was Eddie Brock with super powers, where was the duality? Venom is two beings bonded together, and never once do you get the feeling that there is another living organism there with Brock. But let's stop talking about Venom. It wasn't done right, let's move on.

Hey, I don't want to argue or anything, but it's all my opinion and that's yours. I personally felt the two organism thing slightly myself. Not perfectly like I said above with him NOT being PERFECT, but I thought the origin was well adapted and the character was too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"