SONY Wants To Kill Captain America and The Avengers

But your basically destroying legs Cap would have... people would move on to the next superhero movie. I understand summer movies are changing and it's basically a weekend to weekend basis but still... you want to have that good month in between. Sony should move to June... as long as Marvel stays put with the dates for Cap/Avengers.

Iron Man made most of it's money before Indiana Jones came out. It's not like it used to be. As long as Cap is well made and not a jigonistic heap of ****, It will make 85 million it's opening weekend, 40 million it's second weekend, and 20 million it's 3rd; those are conservative estimates even, since it's opening on May 6th.

So say Spider-Man comes out on the 27th? That would give Cap 21 days to make a killing. I'd bet upto 180 million before Spidey even came out. If it's got a good hype, a good buzz, and great promotion, there's no reason this can't outdo Iron Man. It's a much bigger name in the same spot.

I doubt Spidey 4 is an EASY 300+ after a dissapointing Spidey 3. Word of mouth could save it big time and its not impossible for it to do well. But considering Spidey 3s poor reception and an obvious cast and crew change since no one sounds excited to return it wont be the easy sell that Spidey2 and 3 were

Sure Spidey 3 was bad but kids loved it and at the end of the day this is Spiderman any thing going against that would be murder. So Marvel is planing on placing the Cap movie inbetween two established franchises Harry and Spidey it wont make that much if there as close as its being written out to be. But hopefully Cap wont cost to much so it will make a good profit that will carry it out for a sequal and continue the Avengers movie plan.

Just FYI, The Incredible Hulk was released six weeks after Iron Man to give you a bit of an idea.

Just FYI, The Incredible Hulk was released six weeks after Iron Man to give you a bit of an idea.

That didn't help it at all.

But the two films weren't equal. TIH is a good film but IM dominates it in quality. Didn't IM have better marketing?

Sure Spidey 3 was bad but kids loved it and at the end of the day this is Spiderman any thing going against that would be murder. So Marvel is planing on placing the Cap movie inbetween two established franchises Harry and Spidey it wont make that much if there as close as its being written out to be. But hopefully Cap wont cost to much so it will make a good profit that will carry it out for a sequal and continue the Avengers movie plan.

I never said Spiderman 4 wont perform well. I only meant to imply it wont be the record breaking weekend it used to be. It'll struggle but not in the way that most movies do. It'll struggle in comparison.

While Cap, which is way more famous than people recognize, the name alone carries a certain familiarity with it, wont be struggling as many think during the summer it is scheduled.

cereal:

I agree Cap should be better then people expect only I don't see it coming close to Spider-men on any level. It would be in the Spider-man franchise's shadow no matter what date they release it unless it manages to do IM business.

If the movies have connection, it may breath some life into the earlier released movie. Sadly Cap and Spidey don't have connectivity other than their based on Marvel characters.

I never said Spiderman 4 wont perform well. I only meant to imply it wont be the record breaking weekend it used to be. It'll struggle but not in the way that most movies do. It'll struggle in comparison.

While Cap, which is way more famous than people recognize, the name alone carries a certain familiarity with it, wont be struggling as many think during the summer it is scheduled.

Exactly. Cap gets to draw first blood in Summer of 2011, with the best date of the year. Worldwide opening weekend could be 200 million, just like Iron Man.

Need a compromise.

Marvel gives best Spider-Man writers on the business to help Sony making the script free of charge, Sony lets Cap gets early May date how about that?

And, really, scheduling 3 years in advance for movies that haven't even made it into preproduction is silly.

Well, WB did put a tentative release date for the 2-parter HP film (Nov. 2010 and May 2011) before pre-production started in earnest. Now, their press release did state that there was both a director, screenwriter, and the three main actors attached to star at the same time.

If any big tentpole franchise can withstand a move, WB can easily move the release date for HP 7 pt. 2 to mid-June or mid-July and they'll make a profit either date they chose.

Well, WB did put a tentative release date for the 2-parter HP film (Nov. 2010 and May 2011) before pre-production started in earnest. Now, their press release did state that there was both a director, screenwriter, and the three main actors attached to star at the same time.

If any big tentpole franchise can withstand a move, WB can easily move the release date for HP 7 pt. 2 to mid-June or mid-July and they'll make a profit either date they chose.

You forgot to mention that Harry Potter also has standing sets, developed special effects, they know what the story is going to be, and not only three principles, but a whole supporting cast. Captain America has a release date and a logo.

If any big tentpole franchise doesn't have to move, it's Harry Potter. Are people that have seen the first 7 movies not going to see the big finale? Not to mention, WB will likely have a Batman film that Summer and they'll likely want to stay at least 6 weeks away from that. Why should WB move to accomodate Marvel?

FWIW, there's nothing wrong with moving to June for an opening. Lots of movies have been hits in June. People don't pay attention to the schedule being shuffled around some.

See I don't like Spidey coming out in the same month and I doubt this will end up happening.

If it does: Spidey will unfortunately make more money because it will be more of take-your-kids-to-the-theatre movie than Cap will be.

Also Spidey has a bigger fanbase, IMO that is, and will draw in kids, teenagers and more women to the theatre due to the soft nature of the character.

I hope I am wrong but Spidey will make more than Cap.

I would rather see a new character early on and a sequal later in June or July.

See I don't like Spidey coming out in the same month and I doubt this will end up happening.

If it does: Spidey will unfortunately make more money because it will be more of take-your-kids-to-the-theatre movie than Cap will be.

Also Spidey has a bigger fanbase, IMO that is, and will draw in kids, teenagers and more women to the theatre due to the soft nature of the character.

I agree. I mean Spider-Man had three movies while Cap barley had one(I'm counting the 1990 movie as barely since it was terrible).

If the two movies came out Captain america might be able to outgross spiderman.Captain america is a very popular superhero and if it can get the hype factor to really go up and do a good job advertising the flick that alone can help the movie plus spiderman 4 will be hurt a bit from the negative reception of the last spiderman movie.

Captain America doesn't have the clout that Spiderman, Harry Potter or Batman have in the general public. Captain America's BO will suffer being too close to any of these movies.

Captain America is my second favourite comic book character at Marvel (behind the Hulk) and I more than anyone else want to see a well done WWII Captain America epic... but is that what the general public wants?

I hope they make this movie with the expectation that it will not make DK type numbers or even Spiderman type numbers...but more like TIH type numbers and budget the movie accordingly.

Rage

Captain America doesn't have the clout that Spiderman, Harry Potter or Batman have in the general public. Captain America's BO will suffer being too close to any of these movies.

Captain America is my second favourite comic book character at Marvel (behind the Hulk) and I more than anyone else want to see a well done WWII Captain America epic... but is that what the general public wants?

I hope they make this movie with the expectation that it will not make DK type numbers or even Spiderman type numbers...but more like TIH type numbers and budget the movie accordingly.

Rage

It's a hard sell. You're right. They are going to have to have a bad ass marketing campaign to make it work.

Agreed.

May openings are great, in that you get the first crack at the Box office, but Sony would be better served to craft an excellent film, and market it correctly to replicate TDK's succeess...that can't happen in May, with school still in session. I'd say pick a July 4th like date, and they can dominate completely.

spiderman 4 sucks and we all know it.

I think Marvel will move Avengers to 2012. Put Captain America in the 4th of July spot & he will do pretty good. If not well, then Sony will have to move their asses to June or August.

I don't care about Spider-Man 4. They got a solid trilogy out of Spider-Man, and now I'm more interested in different heroes coming to the screen. Spider-Man 4 has very little chance of matching the greatness of Raimi's trilogy (and yes, I loved all 3, and I ESPECIALLY loved the Raimi-isms), so I think it's more important to make sure Cap gets off the ground correctly than clinging to what will probably be the Batman Forever of the Spider-Man franchise.

I think Marvel will move Avengers to 2012. Put Captain America in the 4th of July spot & he will do pretty good. If not well, then Sony will have to move their asses to June or August.

That's a pretty good idea to put Cap on July 4th. I also wish the Avengers would move to 2012.

So should Marvel do only one film in 2011 or should they stuff Ant-Man in there somewhere? I mean TIH2 is a long shot at this point. Plus the longer they hold back Avengers the more likely Norton will be out. That's the only reason why I still want 2011.

Sony seems to be moving fast on of May release for SM4 (check front page) so I guess Marvel will end up moving Cap to July or perhaps a full year... Avengers will likely get pushed back a year as well... that is probably what would have happened anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"