SONY Wants To Kill Captain America and The Avengers

I'm not sure that releasing Cap and Avengers in the same summer is a good idea. They should save Avengers for a holiday realease or the next year.

The first weekend of May is one of if not the most coveted summer weekend spots for a blockbuster movie.

If you look at the past decade, it's frequently been dominated by a Marvel comic movie

2002 - Spider-man
2003 - X-men 2
2007 - Spider-man 3
2008 - Iron Man

And in 2009 it will be Wolverine. 2010 possibly Iron Man.

For a Cap release, May 6th is a great release date. It gives it basically the Iron Man, Spider-man spot. It's a great weekend because people are ready to start the summer movie season and they will want to see a good, popcorn movie. Captain America will hopefully fit that bill for the audience.

Don't you guys see what Iron Man did? It set the tone for the entire summer. In addition, it also got the headstart over everything. If Iron Man was released in the middle of the summer it would've been a lot more dangerous. But it did fine when what was coming out was crap like Speed Racer or disappointments like Narnia.

Then even in the wake of Indy 4, Iron Man still held up fine and got a boost from Memorial Day.

So that gives Cap an advantage in that, it will get a boost from being the first summer blockbuster, and then another boost from Memorial Day. Strategically that really works.

I see no reason to put Cap in fourth of July because the fact is that Cap is still an unproven character.

The other thing is the plan is to release Avengers in the same summer. That means you can't have Cap in July 4th and then release Avengers in August. You give Avengers the Bourne Ultimatum or Dark Knight Date mid-late July.

But here's the thing. As far as we know Cap has no actors or directors attached to it. So all these dates might not be set totally in stone.

Look at Half-Blood Prince and Star Trek.

Even if Cap and Avengers are done back to back... RDJ and (actor for Thor) are pretty much going to be filming back to back as well... look at how tight RDJ's schedule is right now trying to cram in these two flicks before gearing up for IM2... with a 2011 release he'll have time for one or MAYBE two small films in between max... it's going to be tight as nails. I don't see where he has the time to prep for the role. At least with IM2 he has the winter break to gear up. Same thing with THor... I don't see how you can make the best Avengers film on a schedule that tight... so right now I don't buy any of these release dates. The only reason I want Cap to move to July is because I want more than a three week separation between SM4/Cap... if they are both May films that won't be possible. I'll take my chances with July 4th... Hancock... Transformers... a hero like Cap can easily do 250 if it's half decent. It could very well make more money in May... but the competition will be just as tough if not tougher if HP8 and SM4 are in there.

Then how long is the separation between Cap and Avengers if they want both in the same summer?

As I said... as numerous people have said.... 2012. Avengers in July... end of the world in December... what better way to go out than that?

But I still think it's ******ed releasing these two films in the same summer. Don't matter what I think though.

Last edited:
As I said... as numerous people have said.... 2012. Avengers in July... end of the world in December... what better way to go out than that?

But I still think it's ******ed releasing these two films in the same summer. Don't matter what I think though.

Jesus...End of the world? Are you 12?

That is just the new Y2K that doom seekers are pointing to next. Like Y2K, it is crap. We'll all be disappointed and laugh about it later.

Now if it does happen, we won't care. We'll all be dead, lol.

I hope MVL sticks to their original release line-up or something close. I know time is drawing short but releasing Cap and an Avengers movie in the same year seems like an essential way to go given the proposed storyline. They need to delay Thor and give him a spin-off/prequel after an appearance in an Avengers film. It works better IMO and more people will want to see it. I'm hoping...

2010= IM2 and Antman
2011= Cap and Avengers
2012= Thor and Runaways

Also, I still doubt that Sony will muscle Marvel. They ARE partners on Spider-Man and I'm pretty sure Marvel has some sort of script approval over the character. Playing dirty pool with the company that owns the copyright to the property rights you purchased would be a dumb idea. Sony has literally made hundreds of millions off Spider-Man and the sweet deal they have with Marvel. Why aggravate the golden goose?

If THor gets held off and is given Ant-Man treatment... (I doubt getting Ant-Man out before Avengers is that high a priority for Marvel anyhow), it's a disgrace. Marvel needs to step it up. They said they are giving all these characters their own films before Avengers. Right now to me it seems they are just content with their Iron Man franchise. It doesn't really reflect on the more ambitious plans we thought they had in the first place. Thor was supposed to be 2009... now we have to wait till 2011 or 2012? Something is not right about that.

I hope MVL sticks to their original release line-up or something close. I know time is drawing short but releasing Cap and an Avengers movie in the same year seems like an essential way to go given the proposed storyline. They need to delay Thor and give him a spin-off/prequel after an appearance in an Avengers film. It works better IMO and more people will want to see it. I'm hoping...

2010= IM2 and Antman
2011= Cap and Avengers
2012= Thor and Runaways

Also, I still doubt that Sony will muscle Marvel. They ARE partners on Spider-Man and I'm pretty sure Marvel has some sort of script approval over the character. Playing dirty pool with the company that owns the copyright to the property rights you purchased would be a dumb idea. Sony has literally made hundreds of millions off Spider-Man and the sweet deal they have with Marvel. Why aggravate the golden goose?

Why would the Avengers come out before Thor?

Why would the Avengers come out before Thor?

Why not? It would give Thor a built in audience. I admit that introducing him in Avengers would be more difficult but definitely possible. Why would X-Men come out before X-Men Origins: Wolverine?

Still, I just listened to Marvel's battle plan in the Merrill Lynch 2008 Media Fall Preview presentation web cast. As of today, Marvel is sticking to their release schedule. Thor late 2010 and 2011 will be the "Year of the Avengers."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3iaad57ccf4b9889b67b32137138e52409

"Maisel, speaking at a Merrill Lynch investors conference, then compared Marvel's Thor story to "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. Thor is set for release June 4, 2010.

Then Maisel upped the ante further, suggesting that Marvel's intention to tie several of its movies together with common characters will make them feel like different episodes of the same story, just like Star Wars."

June 4th isn't late 2010 going by what Maisel said.

I hope Thor gets a new director and some others attached to it soon. It just feels like things have slowed down after Iron Man and Hulk.

Wolverine and Hugh Jackman was not a movie star or a draw before X-men came out.

But solo films going to Avengers is the route that Marvel wanted to take. The strike stumbled that route a bit.

So from a while back we know that Thor has a script. Apparently its good, and they've probably been re-writing. So Thor really just needs a director if it doesn't have one already to drive the project along.

Now that the dust has settled... I just had to dig this thread up

All those who said SM4 in 2011 was impossible (mostly to me in the Supes thread) may now have to eat crow with the news. Spidey I think will make 2011, and Sony is showing they want it in 2011.

Cap I think can easily make the release date, but if Sony wants the date, Sony will get it. I think Cap will do well in July, but I think the May release date is much better for it. Sony and Marvel need to talk, that is really what it comes down to.

I also think Avengers in 2012 is the best idea now. I doubt SM4 will want to take another May date away from Cap due to Potter, so Spidey would probably move to July since TDK did so well there. Avengers to begin the summer season of 2012 would be fine.

I see Avengers and BB3 in 2012

Why should Sony move and not Marvel? Heck, Sony is apparently farther along in production, with a script (or at least story outline), director, and lead actor apparently signed up. Captain America has a logo and not much else.

I'm much more confident in Sony actually making that release date than Marvel.

And, it needs to be said, 2011 release dates mean nothing in 2008. And you don't get a release date by saying "We claimed it first". Release dates change all the time. Harry Potter being the latest example.

I think Cap should be pushed back, but not because of Sony (screw 'em), but because Marvel has too many projects on their plate, and it'd be better if they take the time to make them right instead of rushing them out due to The Avengers movie.

I think Cap is gonna be moved for July schedule (didn't hurt the Dark Knight), Avengers the year after.

All I can say is.... Damn it feels good to be right... :cwink:

I think Marvel will move Avengers to 2012. Put Captain America in the 4th of July spot & he will do pretty good.

We can only hope...

See the thing with Spidey is they don't need the release date. Also, Harry Potter is getting a May release too.

I see:

Captain America: May 6th
Harry Potter: May 20th
Spider-Man: June 10th
Avengers: July 1st

Yes June 10th is generally not a good position, but Spidey can handle it easily.

There's no reason for Marvel to move Cap back a year or to July 4th. Jesus, you people don't get it, do you?

Captain America has THE best release date of 2011. May 6th.

Cap in May of any year will succeed.

And damn it sucks to be wrong... sorry mate... I couldn't resist... :woot:

You can rub it in but I did say this:

But here's the thing. As far as we know Cap has no actors or directors attached to it. So all these dates might not be set totally in stone.

Look at Half-Blood Prince and Star Trek.

So basically my thought was, people were getting whiney and nitpicky about target release dates that ultimately changed. Marvel saw fit to change things because hopefully Favreau will also direct Avengers which would be cool provided he's not drained and dry after Iron Man 2. And its better to put space between Spidey 4, Cap, and Thor. But I mean, let's actually wait and see if Spider-man 4 keeps that target. Its not unprecedented for things to switch around.

Am I the only one who saw this and thought, "Hey cool! Double feature!"?

You can rub it in but I did say this:

So basically my thought was, people were getting whiney and nitpicky about target release dates that ultimately changed. Marvel saw fit to change things because hopefully Favreau will also direct Avengers which would be cool provided he's not drained and dry after Iron Man 2. And its better to put space between Spidey 4, Cap, and Thor. But I mean, let's actually wait and see if Spider-man 4 keeps that target. Its not unprecedented for things to switch around.

When was I quoting you... :huh:

Or you just can't stand the fact that I, along with many other posters, was right about this.

If you were right and so was I because I stated these are just target dates that might not be set in stone.

Spider-man 4's release date is also a target release date. Spider-man 2 ultimately had to be pushed back two months.

Also, if this means Favreau doing Avengers as well, I say great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"