Far From Home Spider-Man: Far From Home General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

I will say as much as I like the world of Homecoming, I'm not entirely sold on the supporting characters. So far I think they're a bunch of Rachel Dawes - great ideas, but not great characters. It's my only problem with Homecoming on multiple viewings.

The idea of a livelier Aunt May to show how Millenials go through more stress than their parents? Great idea, but this May on her own isn't that interesting.
The idea of a classist Flash who uses social media to humiliate Peter? Great idea, but MCU Flash as a person isn't as interesting.
The idea of an MJ who's an activist? Classic MJ was an icon for second-wave feminism, so it makes sense. But I'm not feeling Michelle as much as I feel classic MJ.

All of these are great ideas to reflect the times, but that's about it. Whereas when the original versions of these characters came out, they were great ideas and great characters on their own. I cared about what happens to them and not just about how they play off Peter. Far From Home will have to seriously fix this issue IMO.

The exception to this are Liz and Toomes. They were brilliant.

I would agree with this more or less, but then that’s a criticism I have of all the Spidey films, they never fleshed out the supporting cast the way they can be...because film doesn’t really allow you the time. It’s why I’ve always held that (once a tv budget could handle it) Spider-Man would by far be best served in a television format. It’s why I felt SSM was so good. They were really starting to round out the supporting cast.

The whole MJ thing is an odd point for me too, because of how muddled the whole bloody thing is. You have the director saying she’s a completely different original character, the writer saying the MJ drop meaning she’s supposed to be MJ...they just need to pick an idea and stick with it. If they do want her to be “MJ” I’m a bit annoyed at the pointless name change, and I would like to see them evolve her personality to fit Mary Jane more as she grows. If they want her to be an original character, just have her be that. I’m fine with an original love interest. The problem is, we have no idea if they’re going to run with the MJ thing or ignore it going forward. It’s all very needlessly muddled.

You think so? honestly she seemed abit plain to me, to the point where you could tell they didn't have any long term plans for the character beyond that one movie.

She was written to be peters dream crush and didn't much personality beyond just act cute and pretty for the camera.

Last edited:
I would agree with this more or less, but then that’s a criticism I have of all the Spidey films, they never fleshed out the supporting cast the way they can be...because film doesn’t really allow you the time. It’s why I’ve always held that (once a tv budget could handle it) Spider-Man would by far be best served in a television format. It’s why I felt SSM was so good. They were really starting to round out the supporting cast.
I say that about most of them, not just Spider-Man. It took season one of The Flash for me to realize somebody other than ABC or Disney Channel should get right on that.

What I doubt will be touched upon is any gang war storyline. If Spidey shows up on the Netflix Marvel Universe, that'd be a big deal.

I say that about most of them, not just Spider-Man. It took season one of The Flash for me to realize somebody other than ABC or Disney Channel should get right on that.

What I doubt will be touched upon is any gang war storyline. If Spidey shows up on the Netflix Marvel Universe, that'd be a big deal.
I would agree. Comics are a serial medium after all, and television is the most direct translation of that. Certain characters I think lend themselves to films a bit easier. Batman is very cinematic as many of his characters/villains tend to be extensions of certain themes, whereas the heart of Spidey has always been the juxtaposition of a superhero having to juggle having a very average joe life. Painfully so. The heart is in seeing Peter struggle and build relationships, and television is where that would truly flourish.

Not that Batman wouldn’t, but I think many of his big story arcs are easier to exemplify in a two to three hour film.

The whole MJ thing is an odd point for me too, because of how muddled the whole bloody thing is. You have the director saying she’s a completely different original character, the writer saying the MJ drop meaning she’s supposed to be MJ...they just need to pick an idea and stick with it. If they do want her to be “MJ” I’m a bit annoyed at the pointless name change, and I would like to see them evolve her personality to fit Mary Jane more as she grows. If they want her to be an original character, just have her be that. I’m fine with an original love interest. The problem is, we have no idea if they’re going to run with the MJ thing or ignore it going forward. It’s all very needlessly muddled.

I don't know if all the past characters had that problem. I thought JJ, Aunt May, and Gwen in the ASM films got a decent amount of screen time. And even though you could do more with them, I still enjoyed them on screen.

With most of the Homecoming characters though, I don't enjoy them as much past the ideas they represent. There's no one that makes me cringe, but also no one)(bar Liz and Toomes) I was genuinely fond of. They're closer to Rachel Dawes in that sense, as much as I hate to admit it.

All of this can be fixed though, and I'm starting to come around on Michelle. I think big problem with the hate for Michelle is it comes across like Marvel didn't have confidence in their take on MJ. That's what I think most bugs people about her (I mean if Marvel won't have confidence in her, why should the fans?) Like I said though, all this can be fixed in the sequels.

I think big problem with the hate for Michelle is it comes across like Marvel didn't have confidence in their take on MJ. That's what I think most bugs people about her (I mean if Marvel won't have confidence in her, why should the fans?) Like I said though, all this can be fixed in the sequels.

It might not be that they don't have confidence in their version of MJ. it might be that they are trying to take their time with her so audiences can get used to this version without instantly judging her.

They are likely aware the character is very different to what people expected

I don't know if all the past characters had that problem. I thought JJ, Aunt May, and Gwen in the ASM films got a decent amount of screen time. And even though you could do more with them, I still enjoyed them on screen.

With most of the Homecoming characters though, I don't enjoy them as much past the ideas they represent. There's no one that makes me cringe, but also no one)(bar Liz and Toomes) I was genuinely fond of. They're closer to Rachel Dawes in that sense, as much as I hate to admit it.

All of this can be fixed though, and I'm starting to come around on Michelle. I think big problem with the hate for Michelle is it comes across like Marvel didn't have confidence in their take on MJ. That's what I think most bugs people about her (I mean if Marvel won't have confidence in her, why should the fans?) Like I said though, all this can be fixed in the sequels.
I did love Gwen in ASM. May was decent, but about par for the course I felt. I would put Tomei about equal with her. I quite enjoyed Ned, sure he’s not Ned from the comics, but I never much cared about Ned from the comics. Toomes and Liz I very much enjoyed also. JJ wasn’t in ASM though. Jameson has only shown up in the Raimi films. And while he was a hoot, he wasn’t a well fleshed out character in any sense.

And I would agree on Michelle (MJ?). The very fact that we’re still unsure if she will continue to be referred to as MJ exemplifies people’s fristrations. They just need to pick a direction and commit. None of this kind of a new character, kind of Mary Jane thing.

So I wonder if Gyllenhaal's Mysterio if he is gonna team up with Scorpion and all those other villains including Keaton's Vulture who are now gonna be after Spidey? Or will Mysterio's character work alone?

I'm hoping Vulture sits this one out to avoid overcrowding, but Mysterio, Scorpion and possibly Hydro-Man are a good enough package, I think.

I'm mostly expectant about all things Mysterio, my reason being that I've never been a fan and I'm very open to being made to like him. Holograms vs real corporeal threats, illusions and robots within action scenes... it's very different from the straightforward Spidey vs. Vulture action, where a real plane could wind up crashing in a real beach, and it seems like it'll require a finer balance to make it enough of a different thing but not too little of what's familiar. But it's also stuff that can be spun into interesting story ideas. I see it as a challenge for them -- the cool kind, bc they've got great elements in place already.

I'm hoping Vulture sits this one out to avoid overcrowding, but Mysterio, Scorpion and possibly Hydro-Man are a good enough package, I think.

I'm mostly expectant about all things Mysterio, my reason being that I've never been a fan and I'm very open to being made to like him. Holograms vs real corporeal threats, illusions and robots within action scenes... it's very different from the straightforward Spidey vs. Vulture action, where a real plane could wind up crashing in a real beach, and it seems like it'll require a finer balance to make it enough of a different thing but not too little of what's familiar. But it's also stuff that can be spun into interesting story ideas. I see it as a challenge for them -- the cool kind, bc they've got great elements in place already.
I like the way you think, pal. And agreed. Holograms with the antagonist is gonna be pretty darn cool and also, DIFFERENT. Can't wait to see what they cook up, action-wise, and VISUALLY.

Also, who got the idea that Scorpion is in this? Did they report that?

I have high hopes to see some creative and interesting things with Mysterio's skillset.

Bit oot, but I love your avvy, @Spidey_62. TNAS for the win. :woot:
Thanks, yeah! I loved the show back in the day, then I started dismissing it for years because it wasn't the most comic accurate or whatever but I finally went back and revisited it this year and gained newfound appreciation for it/just flat out enjoyed it all over again. I think it's often overlooked and a unique interpretation cut too soon.

DmSZpyEU4AAH91Z

DmSZ2rTUUAAmK9M

The more I see Hill and Fury the less I think we will be getting Jessica Drew. There hasn't been any word on that rumor since early June.

I heard on Twitter there are rumour about Pepper to appear here too.

There was a whole scene with Fury burning his eye-patch in Winter Soldier like it was a big thing for his character but it is still there.

Also, gah, Hill's such a "just kinda there" character in the MCU. Cobie's fine in the role, but man, there's been zero interesting about her so far.

I will say as much as I like the world of Homecoming, I'm not entirely sold on the supporting characters. So far I think they're a bunch of Rachel Dawes - great ideas, but not great characters. It's my only problem with Homecoming on multiple viewings.

The idea of a livelier Aunt May to show how Millenials go through more stress than their parents? Great idea, but this May on her own isn't that interesting.
The idea of a classist Flash who uses social media to humiliate Peter? Great idea, but MCU Flash as a person isn't as interesting.
The idea of an MJ who's an activist? Classic MJ was an icon for second-wave feminism, so it makes sense. But I'm not feeling Michelle as much as I feel classic MJ.

All of these are great ideas to reflect the times, but that's about it. Whereas when the original versions of these characters came out, they were great ideas and great characters on their own. I cared about what happens to them and not just about how they play off Peter. Far From Home will have to seriously fix this issue IMO.

Very well said and I couldn't agree more.

Is War Machine confirmed yet....:o

Iron Man 4 and this film can co-exist together in one package deal....:oldrazz:

A still of Far From Home has been released. Be warned should you want to spoil and soil yourself. But seriously tho....huge improvements in CGI from the last film.

DmSonX8UUAAYmNc.jpg:large

A still of Far From Home has been released. Be warned should you want to spoil and soil yourself. But seriously tho....huge improvements in CGI from the last film.

DmSonX8UUAAYmNc.jpg:large

That's a screenshot of the Homecoming suit in the new video game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"