Far From Home Spider-Man: Far From Home ---- Official Box Office Prediction Thread

So what happened to Iron Man 2 barely increasing from Iron Man 1 and finishing nowhere near a billion? Seems like RDJ needs an Avengers boost to get the billion himself. IM2 barely increased from IM1 but suddenly IM3 almost doubled IM2’s worldwide gross. We are in a different MCU age to Phase 1 where a billion now is not the same as it was back then. Endgame is not going to be catering to any specific group and it’s likely record grosses aren’t going to be down to RDJ alone.

He isn't the sole factor, no. But he's a huge draw that brings in a contingent of viewers completely separate from the normal MCU crowd. Like I remember years ago I'd be working in an office with a bunch of middle aged women and the only reason an MCU movie would even be on their radar is if it was one with RDJ in it.

He isn't the sole factor, no. But he's a huge draw that brings in a contingent of viewers completely separate from the normal MCU crowd. Like I remember years ago I'd be working in an office with a bunch of middle aged women and the only reason an MCU movie would even be on their radar is if it was one with RDJ in it.
He’s the biggest individual boost that you can get from any one actor, sure. I think now though, the MCU has broadened and has many other attractions to the global audience to add on to RDJ’s appeal, even while he is still the biggest star. I think it won’t be long before all MCU films of scale will be billion dollar grossers.

If it falls short of a billion it won't be because of Downey, it will be because of poor quality and/or a tough release spot. But if it manages to make a billion, I congratulate the the first guy (or gal) who credits it to Gyllenhall.

Last edited:
I can see the argument that people didn't really fall in love with Holland's Spider-man until IW. He was barely in Civil War, and his movie was another reboot that people may have thought was unnecessary. But after seeing how upset people got over his dusting in IW, I can numbers getting boosted for FFH.

Ppl were w/o a doubt upset/depressed/saddened/taken aback/etc etc over his death in IW lmao. It's arguably the most impactful/memorable one. Especially with how meme'd it got

I can see the argument that people didn't really fall in love with Holland's Spider-man until IW. He was barely in Civil War, and his movie was another reboot that people may have thought was unnecessary. But after seeing how upset people got over his dusting in IW, I can numbers getting boosted for FFH.
That's a good point.

I'll disagree. I think ppl fell in love with him IN CW. It was the first time that the GA saw such a young portrayal -- and one that was actually funny. I feel it's BECAUSE of their adoration for him since CW that ppl were affected by his death in IW.

ITA. He’s been pretty well received outside of the hard core comic fans circle that demands everything to go through the by the book purity test. He is anything but and I think is better for it.

I think it'll make a billion because it'll be the first movie after Endgame and everyone will be curious about that. On top of the fact, people like Holland as Spidey

I'll disagree. I think ppl fell in love with him IN CW. It was the first time that the GA saw such a young portrayal -- and one that was actually funny. I feel it's BECAUSE of their adoration for him since CW that ppl were affected by his death in IW.

THIS.

I was a fan of the Garfield Spidey/Peter Parker, and when I saw Tom Holland, I was in the "he looks 12" bandwagon...until I saw him in action. He garnered enough good will in one film and a cameo that, when that moment came in IW, we were a little weepy. Conversely, Dr. Strange had a film and a cameo, and he was awesome in IW, but his death didn't hit as hard as a teenager who was doing the right thing suddenly getting dusted before he even hit his prime.

Eh, context matters. Dr. Strange's dusting wasn't meant to be emotionally soul crushing. He knew it was coming and accepted it. Peter's is sad not just because of emotional attachment, but also because he himself is begging Tony to do something and save him and Tony knows he can't. That is why that moment is so crushing to watch.

Plus Parker is still meant to just be a kid. He’s meant to be our surrogate into this fantastical world.

I am going to go with 1.4 billion. Really in this day and age a spiderman movie should easily do 1 billion + considering the first spiderman movie did like 820 million and that was with out 3d and inflation and with a much smaller OS market back then to. Spiderman 3 and amazing spiderman 1 and 2 and having a second reboot hurt a lot but home comming got a lot of people back again.

Really wonder how much the box office gets affected (either negatively or positively) due to the events of Endgame. I could see it getting a bump due to some people being curious as to how this film fits in the MCU's timeline after EG. I could also see it getting little to no help or even harmed because people are still distraught over Endgame's events and/or don't have the connection/interest to continue on with the MCU after seeing major leading characters killed off and the timeline now being so potentially confusing.

I think that we're still looking at an above $1 billion run. It they just market it as "the epilogue to Avengers: Endgame", then it'll pull a billion no problem.

It'll be interesting to see how much money this film can make before Lion King comes out on July 19th.

It'll be interesting to see how much money this film can make before Lion King comes out on July 19th.

It has 2 weeks...it needs to OWN both those weeks, too. Homecoming was only number one for a week before it lost out to some chick flick of some sort...but it ended up having serious legs, and it actually grossed pretty well, and even beat the worldwide gross of Wonder Woman, which is something! Given that, and the fact that we already have a bit more spectacle this time, I think the international audience will show up in droves, and the American audience will be there for the Endgame aftermath/future MCU canon.

It has 2 weeks...it needs to OWN both those weeks, too. Homecoming was only number one for a week before it lost out to some chick flick of some sort...but it ended up having serious legs, and it actually grossed pretty well, and even beat the worldwide gross of Wonder Woman, which is something! Given that, and the fact that we already have a bit more spectacle this time, I think the international audience will show up in droves, and the American audience will be there for the Endgame aftermath/future MCU canon.
It got beat by War for the Planet of the Apes in its 2nd weekend and then Dunkirk and Girls Trip in its 3rd weekend. That was some stiff competition that likely would have been damaging to any other character/franchise.

It got beat by War for the Planet of the Apes in its 2nd weekend and then Dunkirk and Girls Trip in its 3rd weekend. That was some stiff competition that likely would have been damaging to any other character/franchise.

Ah! Gotcha! I couldn't remember what took it's crown, and I didn't feel like googling. I hope it at least gets 2 solid weeks at number one this time. Homecoming and Spider-Verse both only had one week to dominate,and then they got knocked out. Spider-verse had even less, since Aquaman opened early the next week.

Lol Jake and Tom's relationship.

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 12.09.47 PM.png

It should at least earn $1.1 billion worldwide! Its gonna be Sony Pictures' 1st billion dollar grossing movie right?

Solo movies for Kraven, Black Cat, Silver Sable and the ever elusive film for Sinister Six confirmed!

Changed my vote to 1B plus. The Endgame boost plus how awesome the latest trailer looks. This will be the first billion dollar Spider-Man movie, count on it!

Changed my vote to 1B plus. The Endgame boost plus how awesome the latest trailer looks. This will be the first billion dollar Spider-Man movie, count on it!

Yeah, there's a LOT more spectacle to this one! Also, as far as stories go, this reminds me of many a Spider-man story where Peter gets away, goes out of town, and trouble follows him. This feels like Spider-Man, and it looks amazing. I think we're clearing a billion here, for sure. Also, SO MUCH ENDGAME! That can only help.

Yeah I definitely think $1B+ is a lock for this. They are pretty much selling this as a sequel to Endgame which is only going to boost the hype even further. I am also starting to think that it will crack $400M+ domestic with the help of the early week release and what should be strong WOM.

It could still be somewhat front loaded like Homecoming. After Endgame its become even more apparent to me now that general audiences really love Holland's Spider-Man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"