Spider-Man is such a sarcastic smart-ass in the comics. In the movies? Not so much.

Welcome to the world of lonliness that is Ang Lee Hulk fandom then.

Making sweeping statements are we? Well, allow me to educate you on something. I do NOT like sm1 and 2. I've been declaring my hate for those 2 movies for years, anyone here will tell you that, in fact, its common knowledge.
I'm on no bandwagon here, sm3 is very different from the last 2 flicks and I love this movie, so, there is no bias on my part and this is the only spidey flick out of the 3 that I'll cherrish.

You say that now, but we'll see how the tune changes in time.

Remember how every fanboy and girl was just jumping for joy and lollipops and sprinkles like it was christmas when spidey 1 came out? How's that movie looked upon today? It's just average.

Same with this. It's just average. You won't find me saying "omg teh venom was ruined" He was, but I'm not one of those fanboys. Just seeing venom was exciting even though I knew he was completely destroyed.

Wesyeed, you act like I think sm3 is perfect. I don't think it is. There are many things wrong with it but its a damn better movie than any comic book movie made to date imo.

You won't find me saying "omg teh venom was ruined" He was, but I'm not one of those fanboys. Just seeing venom was exciting even though I knew he was completely destroyed.
Venom was destroyed in the comic books 20 years ago, and he's never recovered since.
Remember how every fanboy and girl was just jumping for joy and lollipops and sprinkles like it was christmas when spidey 1 came out? How's that movie looked upon today? It's just average
This pretty much happens with most comic book films, as soon as the new wears off, a good load of fans rip it apart frame by frame. I have always found that ironic to watch myself, in a twisted way. I've seen geeks do this with all the icons comic book films and more.

Well I won't assume you're completely in love with it if you don't assume I completely hated it.

That **** always happens. You know it better than most.

Venom was destroyed in the comic books 20 years ago, and he's never recovered since.
This pretty much happens with most comic book films, as soon as the new wears off, a good load of fans rip it apart frame by frame. I have always found that ironic to watch myself, in a twisted way. I've seen geeks do this with all the icons comic book films and more.

come on.

EVERY comic character was destroyed 20 years ago and hasn't recovered since. :o

I dunno, I think the aspect of making Peter a wise ass CAN be an edgy path to walk onscreen. Otherwise, audiences might just find him annoying because of it. I do likke how he tosses joke after joke after joke in the comics, and yeah....I do wish he were more of that in the movies.

But, we do get a healthy dose of comedy elsewhere, which does pick up the slack for Peter's absent (massive) sense of humor.

yah i'm gonna have to chime in here. The wisecracks are sadly SADLY missed in the movies (I was praying we would get more of them with arrogant black suited spidey) The only time it was ever executed well was in the 1st movie with the wrestling match. Wisecracks CAN be executed with quick 'takes' - they needn't be long stretched out word balloons like in comics.

And they're such an integral part of Spider-Man for 2 reasons.. a.) they're (obviously) there to frustrate his opponents, and b.) they boost his own confidence any time he isn't entirely sure he can beat his opponent [if you keep up with spider-man lore, he's actually -realistically- LOST more battles than most superheroes do]

In a lot of ways, he's the superhero thats BEST known to talk *****.. and while I liked the movies, it's probably the one thing I kept waiting for and never really got as a spidey fan.

I was quite disappointed in the lack of quips as well, and the delivery of the few there were. I mean, Tobey did a great job in the videogames, but a terrible one in the movies. I actually cringed when he said "See ya, chump". It was just bad. The only thing worse was [Batman voice] Good riddance [/Batman voice].

Wesyeed, you act like I think sm3 is perfect. I don't think it is. There are many things wrong with it but its a damn better movie than any comic book movie made to date imo.
Better then Batman Begins,X2 and 300?Can you elaborate on this?

In Spidey3 he said alot of sarcastic and Smart-Ass lines. In Spidey3 he said to Harry "little Goblin JR., you ganna cry?" there was also the line "jigs up pal, I'm the sheriff around these parts. I loved his wisecracks in this film and I love Venoms wisecracks such as "My Spider sense is tingling, if you know what I'm talking about." In the Comics Spidey did make loads of wisecracks and he even made wisecracks as Symbiote Spidey so I think they captured the Wisecracks aspect of Spidey.

I never heard him say jigs up. I heard him say, "I'm not sure if you've heard but I'm the sherrif round these parts."

He says it as soon as he jumps into the truck. I liked how he had a lot more quips this time around. "Shazam" and "Jigs up pal...I'm the sheriff around these parts" were some of the best quips, IMO.

they always give some little line BUT NOTHING COMPARED TO THE HILRIOUS STUFF IN THE COMICS!!! i remember him fighting a villian and having an argument with MJ at the same time and it was just HILARIOUS!!! the movies sprinkle very little of that

This has always been a big problem with me, namely because it's more then just taking out an element of humor from the film, leaving out the quips is taking away a whole part of Spidey's character.

See, just as Bruce Wayne's personality changes when he dons the Batman cape and cowl, Peter Parker's personality changes when he pulls on his Spider-man mask. Spider-man is Peter's escape per say. He can finally say and do things that he always held back as Peter Parker. It's like a way to let his aggressions out. Parker was always the snippy wise guy, he was just too meek to actually show that before his powers, as Spider-man, he can finally do that.

Not only that, Spider-man has said himself that it's a way to deal with the fear. He's said that if he didn't constantly run his mouth he'd probably be fallilng apart with fear.

It really annoys me, because Raimi could have done it if he wanted. I mean, yes Mcguire does kind of have a whiney voice and isn't the best for delivering those kinds of lines (personaly, I always though Topher would have been a better Spider-man) but he still could have done it, Raimi just choose not too. I remember after seeing FF4 the human Torch stuck out to me, because he talked and had quips just like I would have wanted Spider-man to.

It's a bummer, because Raimi really missed out on this one.

In Spidey3 he said alot of sarcastic and Smart-Ass lines. In Spidey3 he said to Harry "little Goblin JR., you ganna cry?" there was also the line "jigs up pal, I'm the sheriff around these parts. I loved his wisecracks in this film and I love Venoms wisecracks such as "My Spider sense is tingling, if you know what I'm talking about." In the Comics Spidey did make loads of wisecracks and he even made wisecracks as Symbiote Spidey so I think they captured the Wisecracks aspect of Spidey.

I'm sorry but three lines most definatley does not capture the wisecrack aspect of Spidey. The guy's a motormouth, he never shuts up. That's how he should be, not three lines.

spidey has some smartassey - ness , the bank scene with doc ock in spider-man 2 is a good example . unfortunately though ..... well.... he just isn't funny.

"Heh, I guess you haven't heard pal. I'm the new sheriff in this town."

"Where do all these guys come from?"

"Is that all you got?"

"See ya chump."

"Little Goblin Jr."

"Shazam!"

"A couple of minutes ago wouldn't have been bad."

"Go get em tiger?"

":: punches through Sandman:: uh oh."

He definitely had a lot more to say this time around. I loved his taunting quips at Harry the most though.

they don't do it enough but you can see when they try

I was just talking to a friend of mine tonight about this subject. In the comics Spidey is a real chatterbox. Not so much in the movies, though I do agree they try in a few areas.

I think they don't do it so much because they want the serious scenes serious. I'm guessing Raimi figured it would take away from the gravity of the scene if Spidey is blabbing up a storm. and I think that is a shame, because it really is one of the characteristics for which Spidey is famous.

The thing is having quips in a comic or animated series is completely different medium compared to the film universe. When Spider-Man is quipping on a Doctor Octopus, Sandman, Venom, or Green Goblin, no one has to worry about them being taken seriously in a comic medium or cartoon medium.

Don't get me wrong though. They are still taken seriously in some fashion with those particular concepts, however, when it's presented in a live action format the villains need to be taken seriously and need to be shown as a legitimate threat.

It's not like Spider-Man is going to have time in the midst of a battle to have a quip monologue while fighting Ock, Venom, Sandman, Vulture, or whoever is presented into the fourth sequel. I like how they include quips in dialogue when he isn't in the Spider-Man costume or they give him a bit of a flair during battles.

Either way he had a lot of quips in this film.

I think there weren't enough in SM2. I think when he stopped the getaway carhe missed one as they weren't supposed to be taken seriously and whne he electricutes Doc Ock at the end, it is played for laughs so it would've been funny if when Ock said "Let's see you scurry out of this," in the half second it takes Spidey to pull the wire up he should time perfectly "okay," with complete monotone.

SM1 had a lot of quips, Tobey just delivered most of them poorly (though the one to the wrestler at the beginning was hilarious).

SM3 just didn't have room for quips. He pretty much had the scene where he goes to the Spidey Day Festival and he does go "Shazam!" and acts like he is having fun and the first Sandman fight when he isn't getting pummelled. He has that sheriff line and afterwards, "Where do these guys come from?" That is enough.

He also says "See ya' chump," to Brock, who isn't that threatening...yet. But he really doesn't have time for quips when he is bloodthirsty for revenge against Sandman, fighting for his life against Venom or struggling with his best friend. In fact his "Ooooh" quip during fighting Harry in dark mode I think should have been taken out. Though I do love "Look at little Gobby Jr. Are you gonna' cry?"

I think Maguire nailed Spidey's humor in fewer lines this time. In the first he wasn't good at the jokes and in the second he didn't have enough. But I think the video games have helped his quip work for SM3, though.

I'd also like to point out that I feel that too many quips mean something like Batman & Robin where it is cheesy and the villains aren't taken seriously. We didn't need quips in the first one where Green Goblin literally HANDED Spider-Man his ass (the only movie villain to do so without a speeding train to stop). Did we need them when fighting Ock? No. Harry? Certainly not. Venom....have to make him as threatening as possible in that single fight. Sandman? The first fight sure, after that this guy killed Peter's uncle. No room for jokes.

Anyway as for the bickering. I agree with Visionary almost every superhero movie upon released is praised up the wazhoo as the greateste and bestest (I know that's not a word) since sliced bread and then as soon as it is a year old they rip it to pieces and nitpick the hell out of it.

I already know this is Spider-Man 3's fate. I mean when movies as good as Spider-Man 2 or Batman Begins get that ****ty treatment what hope is there for the Spider-Man 3s?

BTW I thought 300 was mediocre and overrated upon release. It is a vapid story with no interesting characters and is merely sold on violence and nudity and suffers from too strong sexist undertone, and this is from someone who likes Frank Miller's overall body of work and Sin City. 300 was an average but disappointing graphic novel and a bad movie whose special effects made it the lfavor of the month.

Spider-Man 3 may be a deeply flawed movie but at least there is some substance under the surface, though.

I also wish he had more wisecracks but sometimes they wouldn't be appropriate.

One I liked was in the bank scene when Ock complains to him about always getting in his way and Spidey says "I have a knack for that."

I also liked his "It's better than using the subway." to MJ in part 1. And his notes "Courtesy your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man" were always funny when he left them.

But during many other battles...too many people (kids, MJ, Aunt May, citizens, etc) had their lives in danger for him to make jokes.

I remember Spidey using jokes mostly when he busted hideouts or fought dumb or strange villains like Rhino, Mysterio or normal thugs. In the future I hope they take advantage early in the movies for Spidey to make jokes because once the climax comes around...there really isn't much room for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"