Spider-Man: The Animated Series

Discussion in 'Spidey-World' started by Picard Sisko, Jul 31, 2013.

?

Rate 1-10

1. 10

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I didn't know Jennifer Hale was MJ in other Spidey cartoons. She's got a great voice. Was Anna Watson played by Majel Barrett?

Can't seem to find a clip of Jennifer Hale as MJ from Spidey Unlimited with her voice.

2. Spider-Aziz Spelunking

According to wikipedia, you named the right actress for Anna Watson.

3. Vampfox Registered

One neat thing about the show was how the Chameleon didn't talk when he was in his true form. He only talked when he was disguised as someone else. It made him seem even creepier than in the comics.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  4. ObserveCreative Registered

I did a post on CBR about this yesterday, thought that I should also do one here as well, if there are any fans of this great show still lurking around this specific thread :spidey::

[​IMG]

I included this link (the one that is integrated in this image) within my 55th Anniversary video, but didn't see anyone ever mentioning or using it, so I'll post it here instead. John Semper Jr. provides us with a fascinating, extensive psychological insight into the mind of his variation of Peter Parker.

This is like a one man's screen writer's bible of Spider-Man: The Animated Series. I was really surprised by how he perceived the role of Peter's parents in his life and what their absence could have done to him later during his formation as an adult.

There's more neat retro information available here: http://drg4.dancemania-ex.com/spinterviews.html

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  5. Rorschach2012 Batman is my Dad

I'm rewatching this series and I'm on episode one. But honestly the Lizard's "evil" plan doesn't sound so bad. Maybe I'm just drunk though.

He wants to convert everyone into reptiles because they are able to heal any wound and are generally superior to humans aside from looking like reptiles.. It's really not that bad of an idea.

Not saying I'd be down, but...it doesn't sound so bad.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  6. Spider-Aziz Spelunking

I never hated this idea, sometimes it feels better than absolute "I will rule the reptiles and take place over humans" plot.

7. Herofan Registered

I finished rewatching it. There were some flaws and limitations (sometimes too kiddie, sci-fi-y (though that often worked well) or guest star-y (though I often did like the guest stars), the animation in the last season sometimes feeling too cheap) and yet still really good, both as an adaptation and as a series in its own right.

The voice acting was great, especially for Spider-Man/Peter Parker, Mary Jane, Jameson and the Kingpin.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  8. Awest66 Registered

I rewatched the show last year as a lead-up to Homecoming. I will always have a soft-spot for it in spite of the flaws. Here are my favorite episodes.

1. The Alien Costume
    2. Enter the Green Goblin
    3. The Insidious Six/Battle of the Insidious Six
    4. Turning Point
    5. The Menace of Mysterio
    6. Framed/The Man without Fear
    7. Night of the Lizard
    8. The Mutant Agenda/The Mutant's Revenge
    9. Doctor Octopus Armed and Dangerous
    10. Enter the Punisher/Duel of the Hunters

Honorable mentions include I Really, Really Hate Clones/Farewell Spider-Man, The Hobgoblin, The Shriek of the Vulture/The Final Nightmare, The Cat/The Black Cat, Return of the Green Goblin.

#283 Awest66, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Spider-Aziz likes this.
  9. Spidey_62 This is so not spandex

Nice list. ^

I wish this show was still on Hulu, I used to play it in the background a lot.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  10. MrSpyder Spider-Man's in the MCU

Wish they would put these all on Blu Ray as a collection

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  11. spiderman2 Registered

I would even take just dvd.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  12. Herofan Registered

One thing I really liked was that was at the beginning of the crossover with X-Men Peter was not anti-Mutant, he was even anti-anti-Mutant sentiment, and yet he also really didn't want to be a Mutant and thought he couldn't relate to them and the episodes showed him gradually understanding and relating to them more.

My favorite episodes
    "Make a Wish"
    "Tombstone"
    "The Alien Costume, Part 2"
    "The Spider Slayer"
    "I Really, Really Hate Clones" and "Farewell, Spider-Man"

With honorable mentions to "Attack of the Octobot", "Enter the Green Goblin", "Turning Point" and the rest of "The Alien Costume".

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  13. ehh iono

Was Spider-Man Unlimited tied to this series, or was it entirely separate? That show was so WEIRD.

14. Spidey_62 This is so not spandex

I wish this show was back on a streaming service again, none of the old Marvel shows are easily accessible legally anymore.

I liked that about the X-Men episodes, too. Make a Wish is a really good Kid Who Collects Spider-Man adaptation that I felt was ruined by the 2nd part's weird idea to sandwich the unremarkable memory loss/teamup with Doc Ock Lee/Romita story in between it. It should have just been the one episode and cut out all the Doc Ock returning later working for the Kingpin crap.

It's not officially connected to it, it's more of a nebulous thing people try to fit and find loose ties cause they never got the 6th season. There's the same musical cue in the beginning of the first episode that does the TAS theme for a few seconds, and the Venom origin flashback is similar but different. Although John Semper had no involvement in Unlimited I'll listen to his word since TAS was his show when he says it's a big no from him.

I remember being very confused and found it dumb when Dan Slott killed a version of the Unlimited cartoon Spidey off panel before Spider-Verse and then he proceeded to say "yeah this was the 90s cartoon Spidey." No... it wasn't.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  15. Herofan Registered

The inconsistencies between TAS and Unlimited aside, is it possible to think of the 2000 Activision video game (with SMU's Rino Romano voicing Spider-Man and Zimbalist again Dr. Octopus) as either set between TAS and Unlimited or set after both and thus a grand finale?

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  16. Spider-Aziz Spelunking

Even without the things you mentioned, it felt very disconnected and far from being attached to the first 90s cartoon.

I do appreciate having more of John Jameson involvement in the story.

Spidey_62 likes this.
  17. Spider-Aziz Spelunking

No way my friend. Ock is a suave badass mastermind in the game, is Kingpin's puppet (like almost every villain other than Hobgoblin) in the show.

18. Ken-Kaniff MyCommonSenseIsTingling!

It's hard to judge it by today's standards. I mean it's visually outdated, the combat was and obviously, still is weak, along with other things, but man, how I loved the series back in the past! It makes me nostalgic. Back then I would have gave it a 8, today probably a 6, but it remains the best Spider-Man Animated Series for me! The rest of them I found poor. This was more than OK - at the time at least, but with a couple of flaws.

#293 Ken-Kaniff, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  19. Spider-Aziz Spelunking

6/10 is better than Spectacular? Duuuude.

#294 Spider-Aziz, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  20. zeptron Registered

Interestingly, that's exactly what Doc Ock was in his first appearance. That episode even depicted him as someone that wouldn't be taking orders from somebody else.

After Ock's debut, the character pretty much got neutered hardcore.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  21. Spider-Aziz Spelunking

His second appearance isn't bad either, he worked under the promise of being allowed to continue his research until he quits taking orders from Fisk. But it undermines the character of a boss.

22. webhead731 I'm a photographer

Has anyone bought the Blu-Ray set on ioffer? I know it's a bootleg but I am curious.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  23. Herofan Registered

Another thing I loved about the series was that the Kingpin operated out of the Chrysler Building, I loved both the design itself and, as I grew older, the weirdness that the show could portray a real building (or a fictional one so similar to a real one) so badly with such bad connotations.

Also that for a whole season each episode could have the word Sins in the arc title, you might think the censors and network would think that was inappropriate or at least too non-commercial for a children's show.

#298 Herofan, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Spider-Aziz likes this.
  24. Spider-Aziz Spelunking

This series turn 25 later this year, and the unrelated Spider-Man Unlimited turns 20. I'll watch them both as a way of celebrating their anniversaries, and comment on them.

Spidey_62 likes this.
  25. Rorschach2012 Batman is my Dad

Where the f can I stream this? Used to be on Hulu along with X-Men. I would watch this all the time, never gets old.

Spidey_62 likes this.