World Spider-Man: The Animated Series

Were they really not allowed to use the word "sinister?" I always thought they called it the "insidious six" to be different. lol

That's what I heard but it makes no sense since the X-Men cartoon had "Mr. Sinister" and "Insidious" doesn't sound tamer than Sinister.

Oh well, it worked anyways.

It would make sense since X-Men and Spider-Man were being made by two different companies and had different censorship rules.

I watched all of season 1 last night.

I cannot stress how awesome I think Christopher Daniel Barnes was as Spidey.

It would make sense since X-Men and Spider-Man were being made by two different companies .

Were they? The animation style seems to be pretty identical between the two series and we saw them cross-over with one another, which I really don't think could've happened if they weren't being made by the same company.

Were they? The animation style seems to be pretty identical between the two series and we saw them cross-over with one another, which I really don't think could've happened if they weren't being made by the same company.

It's true, Saban produced X-Men and Marvel Animation Studios produced Spiderman, Spiderman was famous for its high level of censorship.

I liked the show, but I always liked Batman TAS so much better, Spiderman was bright and colourful and he's got great villains, and story arcs that seem like they're never gonna end, but have you tried watching it today? It's hard to watch, whereas Batman TAS is still very watchable and binge friendly.

Still though, I loved it when I was a kid, and what a theme tune!

I watched all of season 1 last night.

I cannot stress how awesome I think Christopher Daniel Barnes was as Spidey.

Season 1 is by far the best season. Good strong episodes, good use of the villains who get to shine in their own episodes solo without being tied to Kingpin (who is also used only when necessary in this season).

Season 2 was good but the decline started here with Kingpin being over used, Morbius appearing more times in this season alone than the likes of Green Goblin and Venom do in the whole series, and them dragging out the Neogenic nightmare saga for a whole season!

What is everyone's favorite single storyline from the show?

Mine is the "Disappearance and Return of Mary Jane Watson" arc that was told in Seasons 3, 4, and 5.

The Alien Costume - season 1 - Venom
The Insidious Six
The Six American Heroes
Hobgoblin
Green Goblin
secret Wars

I liked the show, but I always liked Batman TAS so much better, Spiderman was bright and colourful and he's got great villains, and story arcs that seem like they're never gonna end, but have you tried watching it today? It's hard to watch, whereas Batman TAS is still very watchable and binge friendly.
I did, had fun watching it

Season 1 is by far the best season. Good strong episodes, good use of the villains who get to shine in their own episodes solo without being tied to Kingpin (who is also used only when necessary in this season).

Season 2 was good but the decline started here with Kingpin being over used, Morbius appearing more times in this season alone than the likes of Green Goblin and Venom do in the whole series, and them dragging out the Neogenic nightmare saga for a whole season!
Season 2 is my favorite
And in both seasons 1 & 2, Kingpin appears in 6 episodes per season

I felt Kingpin was forced in some episodes. Like the Ottobot two-parter for instance. That episode had Kingpin doing nothing of worth, thus he could have been removed from the episode with no serious change. Seems like they put him in that episode just because.

I think my favourite episodes are The Symbiote Saga eps.

I love them.

I felt Kingpin was forced in some episodes. Like the Ottobot two-parter for instance. That episode had Kingpin doing nothing of worth, thus he could have been removed from the episode with no serious change. Seems like they put him in that episode just because.
Absolutely, him being there was unnecessary

So I was thinking how many characters appearing in this show are not credited as co-created by Stan Lee, whether they are Spider-Man characters or not, and I counted:
  1. Eddie Brock
  2. Deborah Whitman
  3. Alistaire Smythe
  4. Felicia Hardy
  5. Anastasia Hardy
  6. Dr. Mariah Crawford (Calypso)
  7. The Symbiote
  8. Hobgoblin/Jason Phillip Macendale
  9. Hammerhead
  10. Hydroman
  11. Wolverine
  12. Storm
  13. Rogue
  14. Gambit
  15. Jubilee
  16. Herbert Langdon
  17. Michael Morbius
  18. Frank Castle/The Punisher
  19. Blade
  20. Wesler
  21. Tombstone
  22. Mary Jane's dad
  23. Madam Web
  24. Timmy (the kid who collected Spider-Man in comics, first name mentioned here)
  25. Rocket Racer
  26. Big Wheel
  27. Stick (Matt Murdock's teacher)
  28. Cletus Kassidy
  29. Symbiote spawn
  30. Jim Rhodes/War Machine
  31. Jonathan Ohm/The Spot
  32. John Hardesky
  33. Miles Warren
  34. The Six Forgotten Warriors (the exception of that Marlow chap)
  35. Red Skull

Characters made for this show:
  1. Teri Lee
  2. Agent One
  3. Alicia Silver
  4. Thaina (Kid who collected Spider-Man for this show)
  5. Moussey (taxi driver)
  6. Silvia Lopez
  7. Miranda Wilson
  8. Lizard people
  9. Iceberg
  10. Red Skull son
  11. Hydro-clones of Morrie and MJ

Whistler was also originally created for the show. I think Herbert Landon actually was as well.

There is a mini comic series from the 90s to tie-in with the newspaper strip, Landon came from that story I believe, the Mutant Agenda it's called

I think you are correct about Whistler

I voted 7/10. While the show isn't the worst Spider-Man series, the vocal majority are voting based on nostalgia. It had a great theme song, great animation in season 1 and my favorite Spider-Man voice. The reason I'm not gushing over it is because the censorship issues really ruin the storytelling, the reused animation is laughable, "SHOCKER" and the fact that the episodes "archs" sucked.

I grew up watching this show and loved it back then, but I recognize that Spectacular Spider-Man is the superior show. That deserves the 10/10 I give it. Now if the 1994 series hits dvd or blu ray I will buy it day one, because it's Spider-Man!

I voted 7/10. While the show isn't the worst Spider-Man series, the vocal majority are voting based on nostalgia. It had a great theme song, great animation in season 1 and my favorite Spider-Man voice. The reason I'm not gushing over it is because the censorship issues really ruin the storytelling, the reused animation is laughable, "SHOCKER" and the fact that the episodes "archs" sucked.

I grew up watching this show and loved it back then, but I recognize that Spectacular Spider-Man is the superior show. That deserves the 10/10 I give it. Now if the 1994 series hits dvd or blu ray I will buy it day one, because it's Spider-Man!

Same. Having watched some spectacular it brings down my rating.

I normally don't like to compare shows and prefer to judge them by their merits, but I will say that one thing Spectacular has over this is the way it did the story arcs. Every episode was part of an arc and somehow connected to another. In TAS, the story arcs didn't start until the second season. So you can pretty much watch the majority of the first season episodes in any order.

And even during the story arc episodes, there were some episodes that were pretty much filler and thus would be able to skip and not miss anything.(IE The Rocket Racer episodes)

I disagree both spectacular spider man and the animated series are great top 2 best animated spider man shows by far but I think animated series was a little bit better because of the art style if not for that I would like them the same. Josh is my favorite spider man voice actor though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"