Discovery Star Trek: Discovery - Part 1

They got Hollywood royalty in Ethan Peck.

1002.gif
I can always depend on SHH for amusing hyperbolic statements.

Quinto didn't have pitch perfect resemblance to Nimoy...

But he’s a reasonably close facsimile. :cwink: One thing though: Quinto’s voice is a tad higher and a bit more “nasally” than Nimoy’s. (And Nimoy had more precise diction and enunciation.) Based on the clips I’ve seen/heard, Peck has a deeper (Spock-like?) voice.

I'm not so sure. I was not impressed with Quinto's Spock at all, in both appearance and performance.

Quinto always looks like he's wearing a wig when he's Spock. That bowl cut is just too big and ill fitting for his head, particularly in Star Trek Beyond. He's like these other Vulcans in or Romulans in the rest of Trek whose haircuts never look quite as real as when Nimoy had the Spock haircut in the 60s or the movies.

Peck looks closer in resemblance to Quinto than to Nimoy. Nimoy had quite angular features and a more Jewish look.

Quinto always looks like he's wearing a wig when he's Spock. That bowl cut is just too big and ill fitting for his head, particularly in Star Trek Beyond. He's like these other Vulcans in or Romulans in the rest of Trek whose haircuts never look quite as real as when Nimoy had the Spock haircut in the 60s or the movies.

Peck looks closer in resemblance to Quinto than to Nimoy. Nimoy had quite angular features and a more Jewish look.
I can't remember which film it was now, but there's a scene in one of them where his wig is rather obviously slanted. It looks ridiculous. I'm amazed nobody picked up on it when filming.

I can't remember which film it was now, but there's a scene in one of them where his wig is rather obviously slanted. It looks ridiculous. I'm amazed nobody picked up on it when filming.

I think it might be Star Trek Beyond after they had crashed on that planet and was with Dr McCoy. That was where it looked at its worst and too bulky for his head.

Oddly enough an actor (when younger) who more closely resembled the younger Nimoy/Spock is Patrick Stewart.

DS9 ending could have pulled a "St Elmos Fire" ending

https://comicbook.com/startrek/2018/08/22/star-trek-deep-space-nine-original-ending/

Speaking during a panel at Star Trek Las Vegas, Behr revealed that he really wanted the series finale to call back to the popular season six episode “Far Beyond the Stars,” revealing that the entire story of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was actually the dream of science fiction writer Benny Russell.

I've heard that story before but so glad it never happened because by extension, all the rest of Star Trek would never exist either.

https://comicbook.com/startrek/2018/08/22/star-trek-deep-space-nine-original-ending/

Speaking during a panel at Star Trek Las Vegas, Behr revealed that he really wanted the series finale to call back to the popular season six episode “Far Beyond the Stars,” revealing that the entire story of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was actually the dream of science fiction writer Benny Russell.

I think you mean St. Elsewhere

That would have been an big ol' middle finger to every viewer. Idk why writers and showrunners think BS like that is cool or thrilling. It's just lazy and disrespectful to every fan and general viewer.

How come this season is only coming back in January? Season 1 started in October last year then had the winter break. Do they not want a break again?

I think it is because there was turnover in the production again.

Given this legal thing going on with alleged plagarism by CBS with the Tardigrade elements of Discovery, one can only hope we have seen the last of that and those dumb spores and spore drive...

I hadn't heard about this plagarism claim until now or completely forgot it. Reading up on it, there doesn't seem to be much grounds for a claim.

I hadn't heard about this plagarism claim until now or completely forgot it. Reading up on it, there doesn't seem to be much grounds for a claim.
There probably isn't; it's just one studio trying to get one over on another. Petty stuff, I'm sure.

'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' Showrunner Reveals How He Really Wanted the Series to End

Emilio Estevez on DS9 would be funny

Given this legal thing going on with alleged plagarism by CBS with the Tardigrade elements of Discovery, one can only hope we have seen the last of that and those dumb spores and spore drive...

I agree it needs to go. If they had that sort of technology back then, then why haven't they been using it all this time from the 23rd century onwards even into the 24th century at the time of TNG, DS9 and Voyager? They didn't even mention it at all.

In Voyager, if they had known of that technology, they could've tried to create something similar to get them back home. They could've said "there was this old technology that was used in the last century that was banned or became obsolete, but allowed a starship to jump across the universe in a matter of seconds. We could try to create a version of that to get us home."

But they're not going to think of something that no-one seems to have heard of before.

I agree it needs to go. If they had that sort of technology back then, then why haven't they been using it all this time from the 23rd century onwards even into the 24th century at the time of TNG, DS9 and Voyager? They didn't even mention it at all.

In Voyager, if they had known of that technology, they could've tried to create something similar to get them back home. They could've said "there was this old technology that was used in the last century that was banned or became obsolete, but allowed a starship to jump across the universe in a matter of seconds. We could try to create a version of that to get us home."

But they're not going to think of something that no-one seems to have heard of before.

Did you watch all the first season? Pretty obvious why they dont use that tech in their later starships. It's too temperamental, damn near kills the operator, rips holes open in space time to other universes that may hold god only knows what sort of horrors and enemies. A tech like that wouldnt be common. Or known to every Starfleet officer. Itd be blacklisted and top secret or altogether prohibited after the events of season 1.

That may be so, and a nice way to make it fit in with Star Trek Canon. But to be honest, I still think it was a lazy idea in the first place.

Did you watch all the first season? Pretty obvious why they dont use that tech in their later starships. It's too temperamental, damn near kills the operator, rips holes open in space time to other universes that may hold god only knows what sort of horrors and enemies. A tech like that wouldnt be common. Or known to every Starfleet officer. Itd be blacklisted and top secret or altogether prohibited after the events of season 1.

I couldn't remember what happened. I knew it had an effect on the operator, but thought that Starfleet wanted it anyway and were thinking of a different way to get the tardigrade. I thought they reasoned it was worth it even if it has a detrimental effect on one person, if at least it allows them to jump long distances or between universes. I can't remember what they said at the end of the mirror arc.

That may be so, and a nice way to make it fit in with Star Trek Canon. But to be honest, I still think it was a lazy idea in the first place.
I never particularly warmed up to the concept myself, but I got over it because of the mirror arc, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"