Discovery Star Trek: Discovery - Part 1

Romulus was destroyed in the Prime timeline. The event sent Spock, Nero, and their ships back in time, thus creating an alternate reality. That's why the destruction of Romulus and loss of Spock will still affect Picard in the Prime timeline.
Ah, but did it, or did that reality already exist, and Old Spock just ended up in it? There was that TNG episode (Parallels?) which implied there was a universe out there for every eventuality, so in retrospect, the JJverse already existed, and Old Spock simply managed to journey to it.

Ah, but did it, or did that reality already exist, and Old Spock just ended up in it? There was that TNG episode (Parallels?) which implied there was a universe out there for every eventuality, so in retrospect, the JJverse already existed, and Old Spock simply managed to journey to it.
It could be just that. I suspect the Red Matter changed the rules in a way to make the newer films work, because you're correct about time travel changing the current timeline. Yet, young Spock presents the idea that the changes to the continuity created the alternate reality. Honestly, I think it comes down to bad writing why the rules of time travel and alternate realities were changed in the 2009 film.

That would have been young Spock's first experience of time travel, so he could just have got it wrong.

The idea of the Kelvin timeline always being a near identical parallel universe does work better with the changes Abrams made that ain't easily covered by Nero turning up (imo).

Well… you’re kinda describing the “many-worlds interpretation” of quantum mechanics. In that scenario, every event can represent a branch point that results in alternative realities. For example, Schrödinger’s famous cat defines such a branch: in one reality, the cat is alive; in the other, the cat is dead. But typically, each of these worlds is self-contained and unfolds according to normal/linear causality.

Whereas, in the time travel case, the split that occurs is specifically due to manipulations of causality created by (backwards) time travel. And absent such manipulations, the splitting of timelines would not have occurred.

Yeah, I was going easy on the details. Now my brain doesn't work. :p

Only just managed to watch this as I've only just got Netflix (I know, I know) and I'm up to episode 6 and really enjoying it. I've managed to avoid most spoilers somehow. Love the production and how slick it is. The lead is a little bit annoying but she's growing on me. It's unlike any Trek series I've seen before (and I've seen them all) and I like that the Discovery crew aren't all good and wholesome. Fingers crossed the standard stays this high.

Just completed season 1 and wow.

I absolutely loved Lorca so was...
a bit disappointed that he snuffed it. Any chance Prime Lorca will come back? They seemed to leave his fate ambiguous so I'm hopeful it's to leave the door open for his return

Roll on Friday!

I absolutely loved Lorca so was...
a bit disappointed that he snuffed it. Any chance Prime Lorca will come back? They seemed to leave his fate ambiguous so I'm hopeful it's to leave the door open for his return
Whilst I hope there is an opportunity for his return, I suspect him, along with Anson Mount (the actor playing Pike) are to be one-season only, maybe reoccurring down the road (especially Pike) but ultimately, they're not going to be show regulars. I don't expect we'll see Pike much (if at all) come Season 3.

Whilst I hope there is an opportunity for his return, I suspect him, along with Anson Mount (the actor playing Pike) are to be one-season only, maybe reoccurring down the road (especially Pike) but ultimately, they're not going to be show regulars. I don't expect we'll see Pike much (if at all) come Season 3.
I'd at least like them to tie up what happened to Prime Lorca.

Excited to see what they do with Pike. I'm not familiar with the character apart from within the Kelvin timeline. Probably another Captain I can grow fond of, only to never see again lol.

I wish we could say the same about Michael Burnham. She is still a dull character. I wish the show would become more of an ensemble instead of focusing primarily on her. It's not like she's so interesting.

Excited to see what they do with Pike. I'm not familiar with the character apart from within the Kelvin timeline. Probably another Captain I can grow fond of, only to never see again lol.

Pike is the original star of Star Trek, before even Captain Kirk. That's whom the series would've been about had Jeffrey Hunter committed to the series and it had been picked up the first time round.

I'm not sure we ever will. Presumably, [our] Lorca was transported to Mirror Lorca's ship moments before it was destroyed, and likely killed in said explosion. Mirror Lorca was using the transporter, and we know there's always a switch in place, so as far as I'm concerned (or as far as we should be I guess), our Lorca is long dead.

Excited to see what they do with Pike. I'm not familiar with the character apart from within the Kelvin timeline.
Probably another Captain I can grow fond of, only to never see again lol.
Well, you obviously know what happened to him in the Kelvin Universe. In this universe though (the prime universe) he's involved in an accident that severely cripples him (there's a TOS episode about it); he goes on a mission with Kirk and Spock to an alien world where he's restored, but he must remain on said world with a woman he knows (or knew) and the aliens that inhabit the planet. My memory of the episode is a little vague, but this is ultimately what'll happen with him.

I wish we could say the same about Michael Burnham. She is still a dull character. I wish the show would become more of an ensemble instead of focusing primarily on her. It's not like she's so interesting.
Whilst I'll agree that she isn't the most inspiring character, I don't feel the show is truly about her. Short of the first couple of episodes, it's felt like an ensemble crew to me.

I'm not sure we ever will. Presumably, [our] Lorca was transported to Mirror Lorca's ship moments before it was destroyed, and likely killed in said explosion. Mirror Lorca was using the transporter, and we know there's always a switch in place, so as far as I'm concerned (or as far as we should be I guess), our Lorca is long dead.

Well, you obviously know what happened to him in the Kelvin Universe. In this universe though (the prime universe) he's involved in an accident that severely cripples him (there's a TOS episode about it); he goes on a mission with Kirk and Spock to an alien world where he's restored, but he must remain on said world with a woman he knows (or knew) and the aliens that inhabit the planet. My memory of the episode is a little vague, but this is ultimately what'll happen with him.

Whilst I'll agree that she isn't the most inspiring character, I don't feel the show is truly about her. Short of the first couple of episodes, it's felt like an ensemble crew to me.
Ah I didn't know that about Pike - thanks.

I was expecting to hate Burnham based on what I'd read, but was pleasantly surprised. She's a little "Mary Sue" in terms of being the best at everything/correct about everything, however I can't help but like her! Will be interesting to see her dynamic with Spock.

Pike's fate in the Prime universe tied back to the original first pilot episode. His body stayed horribly crippled but the aliens on Talos used thier mind illusion powers (as revealed in the pilot) to at least allow him to enjoy what was left of his life (in his mind at any rate).

So what did everyone think of the premiere? I was very blown away by how massive and cinematic it looked. I'd highly recommend everyone check it out, even if you didn't like last season as this one was somewhat of a soft reboot I think.

I thought the premiere was great. Very action packed and thrilling and its just nice seeing all these characters back in action. Also, it does kind of amaze me what they are capable of with these shows now a days in terms of special effects and budget, but I guess GOT is mostly responsible for that considering how much that show has pushed the envelope over the years.

I really liked the premiere episode of Season two. Haven't been totally satisfied by some of the stuff in S01, but still enjoyed it as a whole. Looking forward to see where they go from here.

...I was very blown away by how massive and cinematic it looked.

For season two, they've apparently switched to a (wider) 2:1 aspect ratio.

I enjoyed it. Nice tone. Pike was fun. I like that Burnham is fully settled now. Still iffy on the Spock stuff.

Several times I thought to myself "What the hell is the budget for this series?!" Looks great.

Was the Enterprise shown, went inside, etc?

That science officer dying suddenly was like the engineering officer who died in that halo jump in Star Trek 09. He was too confident and cocky.

I wouldn't have minded if Burnham died when she was left behind. She's still boring.

When is Rebecca Romijn going to show up?

Why did Spock need another secret sibling? I still can't understand why Michael was necessary. And young Vulcans are apparently just as goofy in the Prime universe as they were in the Kelvin one. Also, since when has Vulcan had flora like that?

Pike's demeanor is all wrong, Jeffery Hunter's was very by the book and taciturn. James Frain is still horribly miscast as Sarek. Tilly and Stamets are as irritating as ever. And they really fumbled with their attempts at humor, too (I mean really, green alien snot? Who exactly is the target audience?). The whole show just feels wrong, especially when it's supposed to be a prequel.

From what was shown in the trailer, it looks like we get another cringy bout with Spock, ultimate fighting champion. And somehow the new Klingon's look even worse when they add hair.

Aside from all that, as a piece of storytelling it was incredibly frustrating to watch. Still the same unmotivated camera movement, always going for whatever looks "cool" instead of what serves the scene. Too much emphasis on action instead of ideas. The episode was also overscored, there were plenty of dialogue scenes that would've played much better without music. But first and foremost, there's something very strange about how this show stages its scenes. It all feels overprocessed and stylized, and there's connection to the characters or what happening to them. There's no focus, nothing for the audience to latch onto and invest in. The episode opens with the critical moment when Michael and Spock first meet, but it's like it was more interested in whatever lightshow Spock was messing with on his computer than engaging with the viewpoints of the characters.

I just can't with this show anymore. This is not Star Trek, and it's not even a good piece of entertainment in its own right. Even my family, who enjoy the Kelvin films (unlike me) are unimpressed. I really hope the Picard show is nothing like "Disco" (even the nickname is terrible).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"