Star Trek: Discovery - Part 1

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Thread Manager, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Flash525

Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

Ah, but did it, or did that reality already exist, and Old Spock just ended up in it? There was that TNG episode (Parallels?) which implied there was a universe out there for every eventuality, so in retrospect, the JJverse already existed, and Old Spock simply managed to journey to it.

2. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Well-Known Member

It could be just that. I suspect the Red Matter changed the rules in a way to make the newer films work, because you're correct about time travel changing the current timeline. Yet, young Spock presents the idea that the changes to the continuity created the alternate reality. Honestly, I think it comes down to bad writing why the rules of time travel and alternate realities were changed in the 2009 film.

Flash525 likes this.
  3. wobbly

wobbly Occasional Scribbler

That would have been young Spock's first experience of time travel, so he could just have got it wrong.

The idea of the Kelvin timeline always being a near identical parallel universe does work better with the changes Abrams made that ain't easily covered by Nero turning up (imo).

4. Dr.

Dr. Unknown Toronto member

Well… you’re kinda describing the “many-worlds interpretation” of quantum mechanics. In that scenario, every event can represent a branch point that results in alternative realities. For example, Schrödinger’s famous cat defines such a branch: in one reality, the cat is alive; in the other, the cat is dead. But typically, each of these worlds is self-contained and unfolds according to normal/linear causality.

Whereas, in the time travel case, the split that occurs is specifically due to manipulations of causality created by (backwards) time travel. And absent such manipulations, the splitting of timelines would not have occurred.

Flash525 likes this.
  5. Flash525

Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

Yeah, I was going easy on the details. Now my brain doesn't work. :p

6. InvisibleWoman

InvisibleWoman Well-Known Member

Only just managed to watch this as I've only just got Netflix (I know, I know) and I'm up to episode 6 and really enjoying it. I've managed to avoid most spoilers somehow. Love the production and how slick it is. The lead is a little bit annoying but she's growing on me. It's unlike any Trek series I've seen before (and I've seen them all) and I like that the Discovery crew aren't all good and wholesome. Fingers crossed the standard stays this high.

7. KaijuDude1992

KaijuDude1992 Well-Known Member

Can't wait for this show to return this week.

Flash525 likes this.
  8. InvisibleWoman

InvisibleWoman Well-Known Member

Just completed season 1 and wow.

I absolutely loved Lorca so was...
    a bit disappointed that he snuffed it. Any chance Prime Lorca will come back? They seemed to leave his fate ambiguous so I'm hopeful it's to leave the door open for his return

Roll on Friday!