Discovery Star Trek: Discovery - Part 1

In my opinion, this is the design the reboot films should have used. I don't remotely like the JJ Connie, but I very much like the DSC one.

I like both. I don't like the changes in STB, and we need a film with the A because as of right now, its a very IDK.

Yeah, kind of how I felt when we first heard of Sybok... :D

Voq/Tyler turned up on a train in "The Commuter".

I find it intriguing that Hugh (the Doctor that was killed by Voq/Tyler) is on a Season 2 poster.
i was surprised he was killed off. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to get him back onboard somehow. A good character.

i was surprised he was killed off. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to get him back onboard somehow. A good character.
I was shocked at his death too, and would welcome his return. It's not beyond the realm of possibility either, especially as his seemingly dead self was able to communicate with Paul whilst Paul was lost in that spore network.

Ugh. Of course Kurtzman is including his awful decision of destroying Romulus in the new show.

Will they go on the Enterprise on the show?

Picard spin off to deal with ramifications from the 2009 Star Trek film and destruction of Romulus. 'Star Trek' Boss: Picard Leads "Radically Altered" Life in CBS All Access Series
Ugh. Of course Kurtzman is including his awful decision of destroying Romulus in the new show.
It stands to reason this'll come up though. Depending on which lore they choose to go with, I don't think Picard is captain of the Enterprise when Romulus goes boom - in the STO lore, I think it's Data? But then in the STO lore, I believe the Enterprise-E is MIA.

Picard (seemingly) made a friend in Donatra(?) during the events of Nemesis, so assuming she survived, it's possible that he'll be helping her establish a new Romulan colony or something? Having also read that article, if there is a power vacuum now that Romulus is gone and their Empire in disarray, I'm curious to know which other powers (if any) attempt to take a foothold. Presumably the Federation would keep the Klingon's in check, and the Cardassians have no military might. To my knowledge, there's nobody else (locally) that poses that great a threat that can do anything about it.

Will they go on the Enterprise on the show?
It's anyone's guess really. It depends if the show takes inspiration from any other media that's been released since Nemesis. I figure we're more likely to meet Riker on the Titan than anyone on the Enterprise.

Last edited:

It's part of the Prime Universe's canon. This show is set in the Prime universe. Not including it would muddle the canon ever more than it already is.

Besides, **** the romulans. They're *******s and I for one wont miss the pointy eared bastards.:o

It just makes no sense, and was done for shock value instead of good storytelling reasons. The entire Romulan system didn't need to be destroyed, just Nero's home base or a ship his wife was on.

And besides, Discovery has ignored so many canon elements already, would one more make much difference?

It just makes no sense, and was done for shock value instead of good storytelling reasons. The entire Romulan system didn't need to be destroyed, just Nero's home base or a ship his wife was on.
There's quite a bit about that which doesn't make much sense. I believe Spock (senior) stated in the reboot films that said supernova [would have] destroyed the galaxy, when that just wouldn't have been possible. No supernova (from a dying star) is that powerful.

For what it's worth, I do agree with you though, Nero could have simply lost his wife and family to a supernova that Spock didn't prevent in time, one that took out (a) solar system (as they're more likely to do). We know it wasn't the Romulus sun that went nova, cause you can bet Romulan scientists would have noticed. Somehow another sun/star exploded and reached their system (not impossible, just convenient). I guess Abrams wanted that wow factor, but it has allowed for some interesting novels and gameplay elements (thinking STO).

Last edited:

And besides, Discovery has ignored so many canon elements already, would one more make much difference?

If only Nero's ship had been destroyed it would make him seem disproportionately vengeful to respond by destroying Vulcan and the Federation. Whereas the way they did it in ST09 Nero's actions are eye for an eye and the stakes for the characters are huge. Spock and the Federation failed to stop a supernova and it destroyed Romulus. So Nero and his crew destroys Vulcan and tries to destroy the Federation. It's has large stakes and makes a certain sense.

And what does the Prime Universe shows really lose by adhering to this bit of canon? The planet Romulus. Well, is that really a huge loss? Romulus the planet has never featured heavily in star trek. The romulan society and the romulan people are featured numerous times. That wont change. The romulans weren't all killed by romulus's destruction. We'll still see romulans in the Prime Universe. Their culture will survive. And they will inhabit a new planet. Just like Vulcans and their culture have survived and continue to appear in the Secondary Universe.

Last edited:
And what does the Prime Universe shows really lose by adhering to this bit of canon? The planet Romulus. Well, is that really a huge loss? Romulus the planet has never featured heavily in star trek. The romulan society and the romulan people are featured numerous times. That wont change. The romulans weren't all killed by romulus's destruction. We'll still see romulans in the Prime Universe. Their culture will survive. And they will inhabit a new planet. Just like Vulcans and their culture have survived and continue to appear in the Secondary Universe.
I don't think it'll quite be that simple though, would it? Everything (seemingly) went through Romulus; the senate was there, the Tal Shiar, a good portion of their population (unlike Earth, and other planets, they didn't have a vast number of alien visitors).

Imagine if someone wiped out Washington DC and the Pentagon, or Moscow and the Kremlin. The countries would be in disarray with various other authority figures vying for dominance. The same would likely apply to the Romulan people, except instead of different people in different regions, you'd have planets wanting to be the new/next central point for the empire. Would the Empire even still function, or would (like in STO) the Empire fracture? Would the loss of the senate and tal shiar allow other Romulans worlds to stand alone if they so wished? Would it allow any of them to seek independence from the former empire? Would it allow any of them to request entry into the Federation (or other alliance?) without the approval of anyone else? This new Picard show has a lot to touch on. Should be good.

If only Nero's ship had been destroyed it would make him seem disproportionately vengeful to respond by destroying Vulcan and the Federation. Whereas the way they did it in ST09 Nero's actions are eye for an eye and the stakes for the characters are huge. Spock and the Federation failed to stop a supernova and it destroyed Romulus. So Nero and his crew destroys Vulcan and tries to destroy the Federation. It's has large stakes and makes a certain sense.

I don't like that the Picard show will be referencing the Kelvin films. Hell, I really don't like the fact that Kurtzman is involved creatively at any level.

I don't like that the Picard show will be referencing the Kelvin films. Hell, I really don't like the fact that Kurtzman is involved creatively at any level.
But it wont be. The only connection between the Picard series and the Kelvin Universe will be the destruction of Romulus (and Remus) and the loss of Spock. That's it. Hardly a reference. It's not as if Picard is going to come out and tell everyone on the ship he's on that there's another universe out there where Pike dies at the hands of Khan, and that it's Kirk, and not Spock, that sacrifices his life for the Federation/Enterprise crew.

But it wont be. The only connection between the Picard series and the Kelvin Universe will be the destruction of Romulus (and Remus) and the loss of Spock. That's it. Hardly a reference. It's not as if Picard is going to come out and tell everyone on the ship he's on that there's another universe out there where Pike dies at the hands of Khan, and that it's Kirk, and not Spock, that sacrifices his life for the Federation/Enterprise crew.
What I meant is that creative decisions Kurtzman and Orci made for the Kelvin universe will directly effect the Picard series. The only reason why Romulus was destroyed in the first place was because that's how they justified bring Spock into the past and creating a new timeline, since they didn't want to do a traditional prequel (something that Kurtzman has obviously changed his mind about).

And with this tidbit being discussed now it seems likely that the show will reference it. Whether it is merely a one-time callback or directly impacts the plot remains to be seen, but I won't be impressed if the story is similar to the comic prequel that Kurtzman came up with. Hopefully the claims that it will be "different and unexpected" bears fruit in the final product.

Would any Trek expert care to educate me as to how this is supposed to work? I understand that the events of Star Trek (2009) created an alternative timeline - the so-called Kelvin timeline. But I just assumed that this meant (and it’s a standard sci-fi trope) that two timelines now existed: Prime and Kelvin. So if Picard exists in the Prime, why would the details of the Kelvin affect him or be relevant to the Picard spinoff series?

Would any Trek expert care to educate me as to how this is supposed to work? I understand that the events of Star Trek (2009) created an alternative timeline - the so-called Kelvin timeline. But I just assumed that this meant (and it’s a standard sci-fi trope) that two timelines now existed: Prime and Kelvin. So if Picard exists in the Prime, why would the details of the Kelvin affect him or be relevant to the Picard spinoff series?
Romulus was destroyed in the Prime timeline. The event sent Spock, Nero, and their ships back in time, thus creating an alternate reality. That's why the destruction of Romulus and loss of Spock will still affect Picard in the Prime timeline.

Romulus was destroyed in the Prime timeline. The event sent Spock, Nero, and their ships back in time, thus creating an alternate reality. That's why the destruction of Romulus and loss of Spock will still affect Picard in the Prime timeline.

Ah… Thanks for that clarification/refresher (it’s been some time since I last watched ST09). So as far as Picard (the series) is concerned, there really shouldn’t be any conflation between the Prime and Kelvin timelines. I.e., as far as Picard’s history books are concerned, Captain Kirk (for example) was born in Iowa - not on a shuttle craft; and Captain Pike (for example) was last seen on Talos IV - not assassinated by Khan.

Ah… Thanks for that clarification/refresher (it’s been some time since I last watched ST09). So as far as Picard (the series) is concerned, there really shouldn’t be any conflation between the Prime and Kelvin timelines. I.e., as far as Picard’s history books are concerned, Captain Kirk (for example) was born in Iowa - not on a shuttle craft; and Captain Pike (for example) was last seen on Talos IV - not assassinated by Khan.
Exactly. Nothing has changed for the Prime timeline, considering Pike has been in command of the Enterprise for a few years in Discovery, whereas the Enterprise had just completed construction in the first Kelvin film.

There's quite a bit about that which doesn't make much sense. I believe Spock (senior) stated in the reboot films that said supernova [would have] destroyed the galaxy, when that just wouldn't have been possible. No supernova (from a dying star) is that powerful.

For what it's worth, I do agree with you though, Nero could have simply lost his wife and family to a supernova that Spock didn't prevent in time, one that took out (a) solar system (as they're more likely to do). We know it wasn't the Romulus sun that went nova, cause you can bet Romulan scientists would have noticed. Somehow another sun/star exploded and reached their system (not impossible, just convenient). I guess Abrams wanted that wow factor, but it has allowed for some interesting novels and gameplay elements (thinking STO).

Abrams wanted his lens flares, and a supernova and destruction of Romulus provided him with that. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"