Discovery Star Trek: Discovery - Part 1

I sure hope they start filming season 2 over the next few months. I don't wanna have to wait until 2019 for it. Hopefully september 2018

ok so just finished ep 7 :up: it went with a side plot on this one, but i still enjoyed it. however....

was there a plot hole? like Stamets is the only one who remembers that they're in a time loop, and that he had to keep explaining to Burnham and Tyler in every reset, but on that one reset suddenly Burnham remembers what has happened and what she must do to get Tyler to help. how did she remember what she and Stamets discussed in the previous time loop?

or was that actually all filmed and this is just as case of bad editing?

and about that ending....

i was kinda hoping Mudd would get vaporized or something :sly:
but instead he gets a happy ending.... or is it?

is being returned to his fiance a fate worse than death? or is there a plot involving him and this rich girlfriend somewhere in the future?

ok so just finished ep 7 :up: it went with a side plot on this one, but i still enjoyed it. however....

was there a plot hole? like Stamets is the only one who remembers that they're in a time loop, and that he had to keep explaining to Burnham and Tyler in every reset, but on that one reset suddenly Burnham remembers what has happened and what she must do to get Tyler to help. how did she remember what she and Stamets discussed in the previous time loop?

or was that actually all filmed and this is just as case of bad editing?

and about that ending....

i was kinda hoping Mudd would get vaporized or something :sly:
but instead he gets a happy ending.... or is it?

is being returned to his fiance a fate worse than death? or is there a plot involving him and this rich girlfriend somewhere in the future?

I really enjoyed this episode:

1) Stamets could have explained everything off screen again
2) Mudd is in TOS and Stella was a harpy of a woman that harassed him

We fuel our vehicles with the liquefied remains of dinosaurs. :p So the starship using some sort of quantum biology to travel isn't that hard for me to accept. Besides this show is set 200+ years in the future. Think about the difference between 1817 and 2017. Its possible that they might know a thing or two that we dont.

i also had some trouble with the mycelium network logic in the first episodes. i took up both Biology and Physics in college, so im still trying to work my mind around how this is even possible in the most hypothetical sense. im not railing against it, but theres a LOT of gaps that needs to be filled in order for this to even be theoretically probable.

but yes, the wireless headset Uhura had in TOS was an impossibility during my grandparents' days, and yet now its not even worth a second thought :DV:

i have no doubt technology 200 years from now would be amazing. provided human beings survive that far into the future :funny:

I really enjoyed this episode:

1) Stamets could have explained everything off screen again
2) Mudd is in TOS and Stella was a harpy of a woman that harassed him

ohhhh so thats why :funny: thanks for refreshing my memory :up:

And Stamets, too, depending on how the writers want him to behave in any particular behavior.

I swear, one of the biggest issues the show has is consistency, especially in regards to character and tone. They have got to make up their minds on who these characters are and their personalities (most of the characters appear schizophrenic so far), and they need to decide what kind of show they want to make. Action, drama, horror, comedy? Telling a serial story means they need to pick one, they don't have the luxury of an episodic structure where they could mix things up.

Well, it's already previously been announced that this series will deal with the "Mirror" Universe, and based on what happened at the end of the episode where Stamets injected himself, I would wager we're going to get a reveal that this more "Sunny, positive" version of Stamets is the Mirror version.

That was really the first time his personality shifted, and it's stayed that way since.

Was Mudd always this bloodthirsty in the original series? I remember him being a con man, and his character doing whatever it took to survive previously made sense. But him taking so much pleasure in continualy murdering all these people seemed kinda off from what i remember of him.

It was a better episode this week and more like classic Trek, reminiscent of Cause and Effect. Although if they really wanted it to be more classic Trek, they should've focused on Stamets as the POV character trying to convince others that he remembers everything from a previous loop instead of forcing Burnham as the POV character here, just because she is the main actress. This is why it would be better if it were more of an ensemble show allowing focus on different characters each week with others taking a back seat. Here it feels a bit unnatural that Stamets is in the background while Burnham takes centre stage. She would still have had her moment to shine when she killed herself to force Mudd to reset the time loop.

Was Mudd always this bloodthirsty in the original series? I remember him being a con man, and his character doing whatever it took to survive previously made sense. But him taking so much pleasure in continualy murdering all these people seemed kinda off from what i remember of him.

He wasn't at all. He was more of a buffoon and didn't seem as murderous. That seemed out of character for him.

Are there only 2 episodes left of this season or is it a half season, to return after Christmas?

For season 2, what things would people like to see done differently?

I would like a lighter tone and for it to become more of an ensemble show instead of just focusing on Burnham's character. I'd like any of the other characters to become the lead for that particular episode. Also I'd like a more traditional opening sequence with visuals of the actual ship than an animated sequence, and also episode titles appearing at the start on screen.

Are there only 2 episodes left of this season or is it a half season, to return after Christmas?

it's scheduled for 15 episodes, but as to a Christmas hiatus, I haven't heard anything about it...

it's scheduled for 15 episodes, but as to a Christmas hiatus, I haven't heard anything about it...

I heard it was stopping in November. If they haven't filmed the back half of the season yet, they should make some changes and make it more of an ensemble show. I'm fed up of it focusing on Burnham all the time. It's not like she's riveting to watch.

They are going on mid season hiatus after the next 2 episodes according to the Collider youtube crew.

I heard it was stopping in November. If they haven't filmed the back half of the season yet, they should make some changes and make it more of an ensemble show. I'm fed up of it focusing on Burnham all the time. It's not like she's riveting to watch.

They finished the back half last month

Burnham is the main character. That's why it's focusing on her.

Burnham is the main character. That's why it's focusing on her.

Well in TNG, Picard was the main character. In DS9, Sisko was. In Voyager, Janeway was. In Enterprise, Archer was. But they still were all ensemble shows and could focus on other characters exclusively within an episode, with the main character fading into the background.

What I'm saying is that I prefer the ensemble format for Star Trek, especially since Burnham isn't a very interesting character and the actress who plays her isn't that great to watch.

Well in TNG, Picard was the main character. In DS9, Sisko was. In Voyager, Janeway was. In Enterprise, Archer was. But they still were all ensemble shows and could focus on other characters exclusively within an episode, with the main character fading into the background.

What I'm saying is that I prefer the ensemble format for Star Trek, especially since Burnham isn't a very interesting character and the actress who plays her isn't that great to watch.

It's only like 7 episodes in. We don't know much about everyone, but we will with time. I really enjoy how DS9 was Sisko-centric but many episodes he had a small role, maybe even a few lines and we got to focus on many others. On Voyager/Enterprise I felt we got way too much of their commanding officers.

Yeah I saw originally set for 8 episodes and then a 2 month break with returning in January for the final 7. But due to its success it's gonna show a 9th episode before the break.

It's only like 7 episodes in. We don't know much about everyone, but we will with time. I really enjoy how DS9 was Sisko-centric but many episodes he had a small role, maybe even a few lines and we got to focus on many others. On Voyager/Enterprise I felt we got way too much of their commanding officers.

Not true. In the first season alone of Voyager, we had episodes focusing almost solely on Harry Kim, Tom Paris, B'Elanna Torres, the Doctor etc. There was that one where Harry Kim woke up in San Franscisco and was convinced his life on Voyager was just a fantasy. It wasn't just about Janeway or Chakotay. Of course, all the other characters still played, but they faded into the background while whoever it was that took centre stage that week would be the main character.

In the last Discovery episode, if it had been a more traditional Trek, it would've been Stamets who was the main character that week trying to convince others that they were in a loop, rather than him being in the background and still forcing Burnham to be the POV character.

I feel we would've gotten to know the characters better in Discovery if they had allowed each one to shine individually for the season so far, and just occasionally had it more of the whole cast featuring equally.

Not true. In the first season alone of Voyager, we had episodes focusing almost solely on Harry Kim, Tom Paris, B'Elanna Torres, the Doctor etc. There was that one where Harry Kim woke up in San Franscisco and was convinced his life on Voyager was just a fantasy. It wasn't just about Janeway or Chakotay. Of course, all the other characters still played, but they faded into the background while whoever it was that took centre stage that week would be the main character.

In the last Discovery episode, if it had been a more traditional Trek, it would've been Stamets who was the main character that week trying to convince others that they were in a loop, rather than him being in the background and still forcing Burnham to be the POV character.

I feel we would've gotten to know the characters better in Discovery if they had allowed each one to shine individually for the season so far, and just occasionally had it more of the whole cast featuring equally.

It's why I said "felt" :sly:

Voyager was kinda fair until 7of9 joined and then it was her/Captain Janeway with occasional appearances from the rest.

This week's episode didn't seem all that interesting. I hope they move onto something else after it comes back in the new year.

Today felt like an obligatory boring "away team" episode ala TNG/VOY

Next week looks pretty awesome.

So I guess Saru's race has superstrength. Dude crushed those communicators like they were tin foil.

Today felt like an obligatory boring "away team" episode ala TNG/VOY

Next week looks pretty awesome.

It didn't feel like that at all. It felt more like the early away missions in season 1 of Enterprise (like where they went to explore that rock) which were dull as ditchwater.

The away missions in TNG or Voyager were much more interesting.

I've felt that Discovery has needed some away missions, but they just haven't done it in an interesting way here.

I kinda wish we got a Redshirt or maybe a few minor recurring characters to complement the cast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"