Discovery Star Trek: Discovery - Part 1

I felt like an idiot because I completely did not see that ending coming. They have spent very little time mentioning her parents so I wasn't expecting that. I thought it was just an older actress playing Burnham since they did look similar. Great casting!

I felt like an idiot because I completely did not see that ending coming. They have spent very little time mentioning her parents so I wasn't expecting that. I thought it was just an older actress playing Burnham since they did look similar. Great casting!

Are these yours? Are you “Seth”? They’re pretty good; nice presentation and use of clips. :up:

Well after all the teasing in this episode about it being Michael, I’m beyond glad that it isn’t, though I didn’t quite get the idea that she’d use herself as bait; had she if done so, then her future self would simply have recalled that whole experience herself, surely?

I guess the virus is now in operation aboard the S31 ship too? Nice to see Burnham and Spock patch up, though Spock went from a jerk to a likeable character quicker than the NX-01 can get to Warp 5. Odd (and sudden) change of heart.

Klingons and S31 with time travel? I hope S3 simply sticks in this prime universe. No time travel, no multiverse, no motor universe, just a good old fashioned plot, maybe back to the Klingons.

Somewhat struggling too to accept our former empress suddenly being an empathic type.

Well after all the teasing in this episode about it being Michael, I’m beyond glad that it isn’t, though I didn’t quite get the idea that she’d use herself as bait; had she if done so, then her future self would simply have recalled that whole experience herself, surely?

I was thinking that myself, though I think that's why Spock decided block the door in the end-- If the Red Angel had been Future Michael, she would have known about the plan to have Culper revive her... Removing the safety net and actually sacrificing herself forces the RA into action.

Are these yours? Are you “Seth”? They’re pretty good; nice presentation and use of clips. :up:

Yep that's me and thank you! I appreciate it. The editing on these videos takes forever so it's nice to hear something about the use of clips.

I was thinking that myself, though I think that's why Spock decided block the door in the end-- If the Red Angel had been Future Michael, she would have known about the plan to have Culper revive her... Removing the safety net and actually sacrificing herself forces the RA into action.
Yet ultimately, she'd have still known she'd survive somehow, else she'd not have been able to exist in the first place.

It couldn't have ever been Michael anyway when you think back on it, as (in a timeline) the red angel went back and informed Spock where Michael was when she ran away from home. Had the red angel not of done that, Michael would have died, and in turn wouldn't have become the red angel in the first place.

I can't wait to see where they go with this storyline. I'm especially glad to see the actress they've cast as Michael's mother. She was excellent on The Originals a few years back.

With only four more episodes to go, I am equally intrigued how they’re going to wrap this story up. We seem to have had quite a build with a couple of fillers, and now they’ve got the bring it to a close before Season 3.

I figure it’ll wrap with Pike (and Spock) returning to the Enterprise and Discovery getting a new Captain. Then we’re into S3.

Be interesting to see where they go there. Not convinced they can do much more with the Klingons at this point, and short of a ‘black ops’ episode that may or may not feature S31, we can’t have anything involving the Romulans.

I’m really hoping for a Tholian or Tzenkethi episode at some point, or maybe one featuring the Gorn? Hopefully they’ll be able to introduce us to a few more Andorian in S3 too, along with the odd Caitian or two.

Man things just got really interesting. I got to say I was really thinking they were going to go the predictable route by making Michael the Red Angel, but I like that there was at least somewhat of a twist to it ,and the actress they got to play her mom is indeed a great choice. Not only because if how much they look alike either, but she was awesome on The Wire, Luke Cage and The Chi.

Yet ultimately, she'd have still known she'd survive somehow, else she'd not have been able to exist in the first place.

It couldn't have ever been Michael anyway when you think back on it, as (in a timeline) the red angel went back and informed Spock where Michael was when she ran away from home. Had the red angel not of done that, Michael would have died, and in turn wouldn't have become the red angel in the first place.

I was surprised by the twist as I'd just assumed they were making Burnham the Red Angel. At first I thought it was Georgiou though when she revealed herself.

Although how come it didn't turn out to be Iris who used her Flash powers to travel back in time?

Although how come it didn't turn out to be Iris who used her Flash powers to travel back in time?

If you believe online gossip, she's too busy getting other female cast members fired from The Flash so she can be the lead.

If you believe online gossip, she's too busy getting other female cast members fired from The Flash so she can be the lead.
Oh wow! What do you know? This is the first I’ve heard of this, although I was under the impression Danielle (at least) requested to leave, rather than being fired? There’s no other female cast on the show really. I can’t honestly believe these rumours. I suspect it’s more to do with the traditional Iris hate. Anything to shine a red light on Candice.

I got to say I was really thinking they were going to go the predictable route by making Michael the Red Angel, but I like that there was at least somewhat of a twist to it

There's still time for a passing of the torch. It'd be the dramatic thing to do, and I'd be surprised if a bio-neural signature couldn't distinguish between mother and daughter.

There's still time for a passing of the torch. It'd be the dramatic thing to do, and I'd be surprised if a bio-neural signature couldn't distinguish between mother and daughter.

I suppose they could invoke technobabble to explain why the neural signatures seemed to be identical. But Discovery now has possession of the time travel suit; so (as you say) it could be that Michael takes over for her mother for at least some of the Red Angel sightings (ergo, the neural match). :shrug:

I suppose they could invoke technobabble to explain why the neural signatures seemed to be identical. But Discovery now has possession of the time travel suit; so (as you say) it could be that Michael takes over for her mother for at least some of the Red Angel sightings (ergo, the neural match). :shrug:

So now Discovery has both a time travel suit and a spore drive?

Maybe her mother went back in time this time rather than Burnham herself, because she died in the present. How would future her exist anyway if she died in the present? Maybe her death changed the future?

Oh wow! What do you know? This is the first I’ve heard of this, although I was under the impression Danielle (at least) requested to leave, rather than being fired? There’s no other female cast on the show really. I can’t honestly believe these rumours. I suspect it’s more to do with the traditional Iris hate. Anything to shine a red light on Candice.

Online gossip suggests that Candice actually wanted Danielle fired but they're going to spin it as Danielle wanted to leave. I have not seen anything official so far and I hope it's not true since I like both actresses and feel like the show is going to not be the same without either of them.

I've always felt like people hated Candice for no apparent reason so that's very possible. Anywho, offtopic rant over. :)

Regarding the neuro signature, wasn’t it stated (in an indirect way) that it’s not completely conclusive? In any case, you can bet that Michael will use the suit at some point. She’s bound to do so. The show is all about her after all.

So now Discovery has both a time travel suit and a spore drive?
All it needs now is a chameleon circuit and the ship’ll be unstoppable!

Online gossip suggests that Candice actually wanted Danielle fired but they're going to spin it as Danielle wanted to leave. I have not seen anything official so far and I hope it's not true since I like both actresses and feel like the show is going to not be the same without either of them.
There’s no love loss between the two, that’s seemed evident to me from some of their signings together - they just don’t talk or seem to like each other much.

I would like to believe the rumours are false because of the Iris hate, but if there is genuine hostility between the two, then it would stand to reason the show would want to keep Iris, rather than Caitlin on. Just a shame Danielle potentially loses out because of whatever has transpired between her and Candice.

I think I'm done with Discovery. All of these family connections are making this a soap opera. It's like when Sam Mendes made Blofeld Bond's step brother. It's unnecessary and undermines the larger world. They are making Star Trek such a small galaxy. I'm okay with such things with Star Wars to an extent because it's space family and the elevated importance of the Skywalker family is an appropriate genre convention in the fantasy genre. However, Star Trek works best with "everyman" heroes, who are just professionals doing their job. You can have drama without making all of the characters family.

I think I'm done with Discovery. All of these family connections are making this a soap opera. It's like when Sam Mendes made Blofeld Bond's step brother. It's unnecessary and undermines the larger world. They are making Star Trek such a small galaxy. I'm okay with such things with Star Wars to an extent because it's space family and the elevated importance of the Skywalker family is an appropriate genre convention in the fantasy genre. However, Star Trek works best with "everyman" heroes, who are just professionals doing their job. You can have drama without making all of the characters family.

Aren't you going to stick around to see how Burnham inspired Kirk to join Starfleet Academy and made him the captain we all know and love? And how Burnham was required reading for the likes of Picard, Sisko and Janeway?

At least see that through.

Regarding the neuro signature, wasn’t it stated (in an indirect way) that it’s not completely conclusive? In any case, you can bet that Michael will use the suit at some point. She’s bound to do so. The show is all about her after all.

All it needs now is a chameleon circuit and the ship’ll be unstoppable!

There’s no love loss between the two, that’s seemed evident to me from some of their signings together - they just don’t talk or seem to like each other much.

I would like to believe the rumours are false because of the Iris hate, but if there is genuine hostility between the two, then it would stand to reason the show would want to keep Iris, rather than Caitlin on. Just a shame Danielle potentially loses out because of whatever has transpired between her and Candice.

It won't be too difficult for Discovery to get a cloaking device. It also just needs something to one-shot a Borg cube.

Aren't you going to stick around to see how Burnham inspired Kirk to join Starfleet Academy and made him the captain we all know and love? And how Burnham was required reading for the likes of Picard, Sisko and Janeway?

At least see that through.

It won't be too difficult for Discovery to get a cloaking device. It also just needs something to one-shot a Borg cube.
Nope, I've been super generous and given it over a season longer than my wife (big TNG/DS9 fan) because I wanted Star Trek to be back on TV where it belongs. My wife can't stand the show and she's sick of me tying up the big TV on Friday nights with such garbage. It's finally giving us the opportunity for her to learn the wonders of Babylon 5.

Last edited:

If you don't like the show that's cool but I don't see the point in pretending there are a bunch of "family connections" when that's not the case. Burnham is Spock's stepsister and now we've met her mom. No one else is related.

A greater emphasis on personal/“family” relationships (in comparison to other Treks) isn’t necessarily good or bad. It comes down to execution and personal taste (YMMV). But these relationships do exist in DISCO. Amanda and Sarek (recurring characters) are Burnham’s foster parents; Georgiou was a surrogate mother to Burnham (with a similar role being established for MU/Terran Georgiou); and now, Burnham’s biological mother is in the mix. Additionally, there’s been Burnham and Tyler; Tyler/Voq and L’Rell (and their son); Culber and Stamets; and Saru and (his sister) Siranna. I.e., “family” isn’t just limited to Burnham and Spock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"