Star Wars Comics and Graphic Novels

Hi, was wondering if any of you guys/gals could help...
I'm on the lookout for some Star Wars comics to read, but don't know where to start.
I've read a lot of the star wars novels, as well as a three volumes of Star Wars Tales (which I loved) and the first volume of 'Rebellion' (which was average)... Any suggestions? Specifically I'd like to read something set in the original movie timelines (not the prequels, and I'm not especially keen on anything set before the prequels either, but I'm more willing to give that a shot than I am prequel spinoffs).
So, whats good?

I tend to avoid the stuff from the movie timelines, myself. If you're a fan of the post-OT novels, however, you should give Star Wars: Legacy a try. It's set about 100 years after Return of the Jedi and features a rather disreputable descendant of the Skywalker line named Cade. There are loads of ties back to the movies (Luke appears as a Force ghost and there's supposed to be an arc featuring Obi-Wan coming up in it soon) and to the novels (the main villain wears Yuuzhan Vong armor, for example). Plus, John Ostrander and Jan Duursema are great creators.

Baltimore Comic-Con Star Wars announcements

The crossover bit sounds pretty cool. There are loads of characters who live for centuries or millennia in the Star Wars universe, but we rarely get to see them in each of the well-known time periods. I'm looking forward to seeing how that works in this crossover. The identity of the character that'll be recurring will determine whether I pick up Rebellion and Dark Times, too.

Its probably K'Kruhk and/or A'Sharad Hett.

And I am really looking forward to picking up Legacy 16 tomorrow.

Huh, glad I usually stay away from comics based on the movies' time periods, then. ;)

For my money, the best Star Wars comic ever is without a doubt:

CrimsonEmpireStarWarsM177_f.jpg

Crimson Empire

If you haven't read this, seak this sucker out! Absolutely perfect, in every way. Avoid the sequel at all costs, though.

I've heard that was good. My aversion to comics set in the movie time periods prevents me from reading it, though.

I did try to read the original Knights of the Old Republic comics, but they're not very good.

Dark Times has gotten a little boring lately, but luckily I've caught back up with Legacy, which is incredibly exciting. Can't wait to see the Cade/Krayt duel.

And we've now officially begun with Vector. Anyone else read it?

390px-Vectorpart1kotorfull.jpg

Dark Times has gotten a little boring lately, but luckily I've caught back up with Legacy, which is incredibly exciting. Can't wait to see the Cade/Krayt duel.

And we've now officially begun with Vector. Anyone else read it?

390px-Vectorpart1kotorfull.jpg

whats the deal with vector? is it literally a time-travelling cross-over, or is it more about repurcussions etc?

At least one character recurs throughout each of the titles, as far as I know. I read that in an interview for Vector.

I read the first KotOR issue of Vector and, frankly, I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I haven't followed much of the expanded universe until just recently, and even now I'm still only reading KotOR and Legacy regularly.

Like millions of people I"ve been a big Star Wars fan for many years and I've been a Comic Book fan even longer but it's strange I've never really read many Star Wars comics. I'm hearing good things about Dark Times. Is there any on going Star Wars series? Also I think this is a great way to get others into comics. A lot of my friends ask me about comics and if there's anything out there they might like and Star Wars always seems to get them interested. So can anyone help me out here?

Thanks a million :boba:

If you're a big Star Wars fan, there's almost no comic Dark Horse has put out that you won't dig. Even some of the old Marvel weirdfest strips are fun. You might avoid River of Chaos, but it isn't that bad.

As far as current ongoings, I think Dark Times, Rebellion, KOTOR, and Legacy are all ongoing, aren't they? For older ones, see about buying up the old X-Wing issues, or the Droids issues. Definitely Dark Empire is one of the most influential Star Wars stories to come out of the comic medium.

The 'Empire' series is decent, as are the Star Wars Tales volumes

I'm reading Knights of the Old Republic right now and enjoying it greatly.

I'd say Vector is a decent place to start. It's a crossover arc that will affect all four of the current titles. The first two parts are out now (in Knights of the Old Republic).

Didn't we have a thread on this?

Anyway, the one comic you MUST track down is CRIMSON EMPIRE.

Avoid the sequel like the plague, though.

As good as Crimson Empire is, a lot of the new titles are light years ahead of it IMO. KOTOR and Legacy are just amazing.

I started reading KotOR because of the games, and then I started reading Legacy based on positive reviews and buzz, and I'm actually now enjoying Legacy even more than KotOR. I keep hoping KotOR will expand on stuff that's more pertinent to the games, like details on Revan and Malak's fight with the Mandalorians or what the Jedi Exile was up to at that point. The story Miller's telling is still really good, though.
Didn't we have a thread on this?

Anyway, the one comic you MUST track down is CRIMSON EMPIRE.

Avoid the sequel like the plague, though.
We did have a thread on it, but it basically died. I'll merge them.

I started reading KotOR because of the games, and then I started reading Legacy based on positive reviews and buzz, and I'm actually now enjoying Legacy even more than KotOR. I keep hoping KotOR will expand on stuff that's more pertinent to the games, like details on Revan and Malak's fight with the Mandalorians or what the Jedi Exile was up to at that point. The story Miller's telling is still really good, though.

We did have a thread on it, but it basically died. I'll merge them.

I understand the KOTOR comic wants to create it's own identity but I certainly wish they'd give a little more backstory on some of the events and characters in the games. I hope Bastila shows up at some point. I doubt we'll see Revan, Malak or any other major Sith (or the Exile) for quite some time. I'd really like to see a backstory for Nihilus or at least a glimpse of who he was.

I think they may avoid showing Revan or the Exile simply for the fact that both characters appearances were based on personal player preference.

Nah, that's not really an obstacle. Revan is in the Star Wars canon as a human male and the Jedi Exile is in the canon as a human female. Plus, Revan even has his own personal armor, which he wears at points in the game no matter what you do with your character. The Exile doesn't have a canon appearance, but we at least know she's a female.

Also, I think Miller indicated at some point that Zayne is a character from one of the games--we just don't know whom yet. I've seen a lot of theories that Zayne is actually a young Darth Nihilus.

Nah, that's not really an obstacle. Revan is in the Star Wars canon as a human male and the Jedi Exile is in the canon as a human female. Plus, Revan even has his own personal armor, which he wears at points in the game no matter what you do with your character. The Exile doesn't have a canon appearance, but we at least know she's a female.

Also, I think Miller indicated at some point that Zayne is a character from one of the games--we just don't know whom yet. I've seen a lot of theories that Zayne is actually a young Darth Nihilus.

Either way, I don't anticipate Revan or The Exile for a very long time. They probably won't even touch them until Zayne clears his name and all the crap with Lucien is behind him, which seems to be on the horizon post-Vector. I anticipate seeing a lot more minor characters (ala Griff Vao) for now, as they are safer to work with.

I also read that Nihilus may be Zayne in the future. I don't know about that theory though. I think if Zayne becomes a really beloved character, which is happening, they may rethink that possible fate for him, if they've even considered it and it isn't just a rumor. Some have theorized that he is Revan and the Exile as well but I'm not buying that; it's just wishful thinking on the fans part IMO. Plus the years don't really add up.

I'd like to see more with the Mandos at the moment (maybe a glimpse at Canderous). I'd also like to see other stories that veer away from Zayne's overall quest.

Yeah, I figure Revan's off-limits until he and Malak head beyond the galactic rim to visit the "true" Sith and come back as Sith themselves. But the Exile doesn't really have any backstory before the final battle of the Mandalorian Wars at Malachor V. She could easily make some appearances now that the Mandalorian Wars are currently going on.

I agree that it is more problematic for major game characters to appear, though. Personally, as long as Zayne, Griff, and Jarael are still in the book in some capacity, I'm happy.

I'd like to see Zayne, Gryph and Jarael get caught up in the Sith Academy on Korriban. I always found the planet fascinating and it creates a potential for good stories. I think some of the minor Sith characters from the Academy were somewhat interesting in the games and I'd like to see them expanded on.

I can't remember how long he was there, but Jolee Bindo should be on Kashyyyk. That could provide an interesting story as well. Plus it would give us a chance to see wookiees :up:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"