Starcraft 2!

ss16-hires.jpg

zeratul owns kerrigan. :o

If the owners behind Warhammer hadn't stupidly pulled the agreement out from underneath the financially weak Blizzard in the 11th hour, Blizzard never would have taken their completed Warhammer RTS that for some reason the owners of the Warhammer IP weren't happy with, retooled all the units and game world, and released a little known game called Warcraft.

While Blizzard without a doubt is HEAVILY influenced by Warhammer, they do still make it their own (More so with each sucessive itteration) to a large degree and their quality is without peer in the industry.

The main inspiration for Blizzards two Craft series is Warhammer, understandable considering Warcraft was originally suppose to be a Warhammer game.

Now bow down to your queen

ss472.jpg
That's frightening.

Hot frightening.

My understanding of the 'Nids was that they were relatively recently added to 40K (ie last 10 or so years) - it seems I was wrong (I'm a Fantasy nut, so leave me alone).

And the two examples you quoted were there to begin with - when did Marines NOT look like their WH40K counterparts? And what the hell are you on about with the Immortals - they're just a revamped Dragoon (from the original game)? Same goes for the Stalker.

So you haven't actually answered the question - I asked how it has moved closer to Wh40K. What you just provided were two things that were already there.

So, again, please explain.

Well, considering that Dragoons were somewhat like Dreadnoughts lore-wise, but didn't look a thing like them.. and this has somewhat changed with the Immortals looking more similar to Dreadnoughts. That's how it has gotten closer to being like WH40k.

And the Marines from the original game never really reminded me of SM, but for some reason the one in the trailer struck me as more "Space Marine-like". Maybe it's just because I wasn't as versed in WH40k and familiar with IoM when I first played SC, but it seems to remind me more of 40k than the first did.

damn... they need a kickass Terran wallpaper...

Lol, I suppose Xtro. But look at Infested Terrans. Remind you of any Chaos Space Marines :o.

And Zenein, nice work on the pic.

I'd rather not think about what goes on in Kerrigans lower areas.

I have no idea. But I don't exactly want to think too hard on it.

On the other hand, while tyranids where there first, they look a lot more zergish now than they did before starcraft.

Oh snap. :o

New Footage! New Units!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30MBljXxg3M

IN HD http://files.filefront.com/StarCraftII_PCGAMER_HDwmv/;7782062;;/fileinfo.html

Here's a rundown of all the protoss units so far, I'm really not liking the sounds of the Soul Reavers, stuff like that is really hard to balance, well that mechanic in general annoys me in RTS games.

Originally posted in Blizzforums by Nazzul, the guy who uploaded the video on Youtube. The info in the post is from the magazine:

-------------------------------------------------
Hey guys I was asked to show everyone the info straight from the magazine so here are all the units mentioned in it.

Zealot: Zealots are the standard infantry unit of the Protoss from starcraft. Still equipped with a pair of glowing psionic blades for melee combat, the zealot will now charge the enemy to close distance with ranged units quicker than before.

Stalker: Stalkers are a new type of dark dragoon. Theyre fast moving and lightly armored with a powerful anti-air and anti-infantry weapon, but their secret weapon is there blink ability that will allow them to teleport anywhere in visual range in an instant.

Immortal: A new type of heavy dragoon, the Immortals will be equipped with a shield that activates only when hit by heavy weapons like Siege Tanks, making them excellent for assaulting heavily defended positions but weak against raiding parties with light weapons.

Observer: The invisible flying eyes of the Protoss are back. We can confirm they'll be in the game, but further details are shrouded in secrecy.

Colossus: True to its name, the Colossus is an enormous four-legged walker that rakes the ground with a heavy beam weapon. They will be extremely effective against small swarming units like Zerglings or Marines -their beams target one unit at a time, and instantly sweep to a new target when the first is destroyed. Using their long legs, they can step up and down ledges with ease.

Phoenix: When its standard fighter weapon won't do the job, the Phoenix will be able to activate its overload ability to damage all enemy air units nearby, which also disables the Phoenix itself for a few moments. If the overload doesnt demolish the enemy you'll be a sitting duck.

Phase Prism: .The new Phase Prism will act as both a troop transport and a mobile power pylon allowing you to restore functionality to a base when your pylons are destroyed by raiders or when you build away from your base. Combined with the warp-in tech,you'll be able to use them to create and army anywhere on the map.

Warp Ray: These flying weapons inflict additional damage the longer they fire on a single target as they bring as they bring more beams online, which will make them extremely powerful against large targets like Battle Cruisers and structures. Their focused fire makes them vulnerable against small anti-air units like Marines.

High Templar: The High Templar is back and he'll bring his powerful psionic storm area attack with him. But hes gotten a handy new power, he'll be able to create a force field to trap enemy units temporarily or create barriers. Blizzard testing has revealed some extremely effective bottlenecks tactics using him. The ability to say you cant go there anymore will be very powerful.

Dark Templar: Just like in the first game the Dark Templar is a stealth unit that wreaks havoc to any force foolish enough to leave home without a detector. Any new special abilities have yet to be revealed.

Twilight Archon: Blizzard hasn't exactly worked out what its doing with the Twilight Archon in terms of his powers. But the team promises that he will be just as powerful as he was in starcraft 1.

Tempest: The Tempest is a dark carrier with a disc fighter and a strong shield that activates when attacked from the ground. It will have no defense whatsoever against air units.

Soul Hunter: Soul Hunters are anti infantry units that float around on hover boards and suck the souls out of enemies. The more souls they consume the more powerful they get, going from firing one beam at a time to three. Theyll be effective against organic units but practically useless against robotic units like the Protoss own reaver.

Reaver: The armored slug like Reaver artillery is as nasty as ever. While we didnt see any upgrades abilities, we witnessed a new version of the old Reaver drop attack (putting one right in the middle of an enemy resource collectors and watching the fireworks) when combined with the Pase Prism.

Phase Cannon: This stationary base defense is no longer stationary. The Phase Cannon can now convert into energy form and relocate and redeploy as long as you stay in a pylon power range. But if the pylon is destroyed while the cannon is in energy form it'll go poof.

Star Relic: When it comes to casting spells the Star Relic makes the High Templar look like an armature. It'll be able to create a cloak field that will conceal even buildings, and fire a fusion beam that slowly damages a target until it dies -and when it dies itll explode and cause damage to everything around it. Remember the larger the target the bigger the boom.

Mothership: At the top of the tech tree you'll find the Mothership. It comes equipped with a time bomb field that stops incoming projectiles, matrix style, in mid air. When the field shuts off, all missiles will fall harmlessly to the ground. Like any good mothership, it'll be able to fire devastating Planet Cracker beam straight down to annihilate ground units below. Finally it will be able to generate a mini nlack hole to suck enemy air units into oblivion. Theres nothing quite like watching a fleet of enemies battlecruisers circle the drain!

How does that even make sense, seeing as they were first and have biomechanical guns attached to their arms these days? :huh:

Oh yeah, and the 3rd Edition codexes (included first Tyranids codex) which include the Tyranids as largely their current forms, was in '98. And codexes are usually in the mill for a year or so before they're released.

Have you looked at the Soul Hunter unit yet? :o

looks like they're really concentrating on the Protoss this time around...

You two are funny.

StarCraft > Diablo.

Years waiting on the sequel (Since the latest iterations expansion)
StarCraft franchise: 10
Diablo franchise: 7

**** you Diablo fans, I want my Starcraft 2 already.

You two are funny.

StarCraft > Diablo.

Years waiting on the sequel (Since the latest iterations expansion)
StarCraft franchise: 10
Diablo franchise: 7

**** you Diablo fans, I want my Starcraft 2 already.

Technically, it's been 9 years for SC. And Diablo is a classic.. a classic! Plus, I'm getting sick of all of the games coming out lately that end in "Craft". Why can't we just have one game that doesn't involve creating something. I WANT TO DESTROY! :cmad:

Nuclear launch detected.

Anyways, that looking good. Oh, and Soul Hunters are a lot like Necrons to me.

And Xtro, quit with the trolling. If you've nothing to contribute except bile, just go away. And with the Space Marine vs Kerrigan... well, Kerrigan would snap her fingers, and the Marine would be eaten by all sorts of things...

And so they feasted on oranges, and apples, and breakfast cereals, and orangutuans, and-

*gets hauled baway because he won't shut up*

Nuclear launch detected.

Anyways, that looking good. Oh, and Soul Hunters are a lot like Necrons to me.

And Xtro, quit with the trolling. If you've nothing to contribute except bile, just go away. And with the Space Marine vs Kerrigan... well, Kerrigan would snap her fingers, and the Marine would be eaten by all sorts of things...

Now I'm Trolling? Oh god, why did I ever decide to have a different opinion than you? If only I had just accepted everything that was thrown in front of me blindly like you then I wouldn't have transformed in to this horrible beast, forever living on the fringes of popular opinion!? :csad:

:whatever:

[P.S. Considering that's Leman Russ, [Primarch], who could kill a Dragon-esque fire lizard with his bare hands before he even got the armour, implants, or high-tech weaponry... I seriously doubt it. But that doesn't even matter. It was a joke to begin with, and I'm pretty sure Zenien took it that way as well.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"