Stephen King's "IT" remake has found a writer - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't remember the last time that the local theater was this packed. There were huge lines everywhere and people were being turned away.

The film was a fantastic adaptation that thoroughly entertaining. Just wish that they would have included
Eddie's battery acid scene. There was even an opportunity for him to do it at the end when they were all attacking him.
Appreciated the Easter eggs such as the Eddie Corcoran missing poster.

He couldn't because...

...he threw away his fanny pack that held the inhaler before they went into the house.

He couldn't because...

...he threw away his fanny pack that held the inhaler before they went into the house.

That was the moment I knew we weren't gonna get that scene. Out of interest is the [blackout]battery acid[/blackout] scene in the book?

Picked this up over the weekend. I just can't stop listening to it.

mI0sgUB.jpg

I saw the movie last night. Definitely an enjoyable experience all around. The child actors were phenomenal and the whole thing had a wonderfully eerie tone that worked well.

I've never read the novel and it's been years since I've seen the mini-series, so I'm not sure how faithful it is.

EDIT:

IT final box office clears massive $123M in U.S. bow

Last edited:
Loved the movie. Intense stuff.

[blackout]"Can only virgins see this stuff? is that why im not seeing this ****??"[/blackout] :lmao:

Last edited:
That was the moment I knew we weren't gonna get that scene. Out of interest is the [blackout]battery acid[/blackout] scene in the book?

Yup. He sprays it at a giant eyeball, from what I remember.

I liked "IT", but am quite disappointed. Mostly with how it shied away from showing some clown-eating-kids action. I was very impressed at the Georgie scene, but wished we would have gotten more of that kind of horror later on. What's more terrifying than a clown feasting on kids?

They also relied way too much on CGI scares rather than having atmospheric scares. This is in addition to the over-reliance on the bombastic score, like it goes "DUN DUN DUN" or they add the score to the scene to make sure you know it's supposed to scary. Quite a few scenes would have worked a lot better if they had just relied on the horror of the scene itself. For example, that opening scene with Georgie, the bombastic score comes in when he tries to crawl away and the hand reaches out and drags him back in. Think how much creepier it would have been if the only sounds were Georgie crying out for help with the rain, and perhaps Pennywise feasting on the arm and chuckling.

Also, I liked the ending fight, but it was very rushed, and I didn't like the
cop-out "happy" ending, where the kids were floating. I can't recall exactly, but in the book, there were only bodies of the kids, half-eaten. That's much more terrifying than having them float around, completely intact (as far as I could tell). What's scarier than dying alone in the sewer with Pennywise feasting on you? I can't remember the exact line, but there's a line in the book where Patrick wakes up in the sewer after he's been dragged in and King describes it as "In the darkness, Pennywise begins to eat/feast". I would have liked to have seen more scenes like that.

However, the standout were the kids and of course Bill as Pennywise. Their performances made the movie. That last scene between
Georgie and Bill was fantastic, where George just pleads that he wants to go home. Very emotional and very well done.
I loved Bill as Pennywise, but found his accent quite hard to make out in several scenes. I really liked how he enjoys tormenting the kids.

Overall, really liked the movie, very happy to see very specific parts adapted well, but was just left feeling like I didn't get the movie I was hoping for.

So ummmm....... the latest update from EC on BOT is that 'IT' brought 28.6 million on Sunday. Sweet f**king Pennywise. This is shocking to the nth degree and ridiculously awesome. Get that money you clown :D :D

Money_2.gif
Money_2.gif

Still proceed with caution as some sites are still reporting 123.1 million for the OW

https://twitter.com/BORReport/status/907246853489487874

BoxOfficeReport.com
@BORReport

The updated opening weekend studio estimate for IT is $123.1M.

Last edited:
Now that I have had time to sit and think about the movie, I really hate how the horror elements were handled, everything was incredibly loud and it was far more obnoxious than it was terrifying. I get it, that's how studio horror films work these days, but I did not care for it.

Last edited:
The Friday and Saturday figures are slightly down from early estimates

Fri - 50.2 million,
Sat - 44.9 million
Sun - 28 million
OW - 123.1 million

Dunno if these are the final numbers. Maybe some updates from the West Coast are still required.

I'm really glad this thing is doing well despite my minor annoyances with it.

The RLM review pretty much confirms my fears after watching the trailers for this. Last trailer really put me off, so I think I'll just wait for a DL/stream to watch it.

Now that I have had time to sit and think about the movie, I really hate how the horror elements were handled, everything was incredibly loud and it was far more obnoxious than it was terrifying. I get it, that's how studio horror films work these days, but I did not care for it.

Yes exactly. See my post above. :yay:

The first part is highly subjective and you'll find yourself in the minority with that opinion. I respect your opinion a lot and I'll do the same for that guy in question as well. But iirc, I didn't see you posting snarky comments and raining on the parade of those who loved K:SI unlike that guy in question. That's what I was getting at. You may end up hating/disliking the movie like him but that's doesn't bother me in the slightest. I hope you love the movie I'm stanning but if you don't happen to like it, it's totally fine. No big deal.

Ha, I know you won't do it. I would love to see discussions between diametrically opposite POVs regarding the same movie. I mean if we all agree to everything and it's all sunshine and rainbows with all the reviews, where would be the fun in that?? I don't want an echo chamber of positive thoughts. But it irks me when someone tries to throw their superior standards in my face and tries to paint others as basics/casuals who are easily pleased with whatever s**t we see on the screen. That's insulting, don't you think??

Anyway, too much talk about just one opinion. Just enjoy the movie and even if you end up disliking it, share your full thoughts with us. I'll look forward to your review.

I wasn't even talking to you. I was addressing another poster who commented on my review and yet you sit there pissing and moaning about someone who wasn't buying the hype like you are. For some reason it's ok that OutofBoose didn't like the movie and he's allowed to voice it, but I'm not.

"Pop" exists. Don't take offense to it. There are things I like that are considered poppy.

OutofBoose said:
Whatever happens, I won't be raining on people's enjoyment for sure. In the worst case, I'll probably leave this thread after posting my opinion.

Unfortunately the moment you say one negative thing about any movie being talked about on SHH you're going to rain on parades. There's many-a-thin-skin on this site. Diehards who somehow merge their own sense of self with these movies. A negative review is the equivalent of an attack on their character.

Glad to see I wasn't alone though in regards to it not living up to expectations.

Greens said:
I didn't love the movie. I thought the way they used Pennywise was weak. Not Bill's performance, but how they used stupid camera tricks and CG-humped a lot of his scenes. I thought the script was good in some areas and TERRIBLE in others, namely the interactions between the kids. Ritchie's lines got a lot of laughs in my audience but I thought they were all very try hard, unnatural and cringe worthy. The film doesn't really have many scary scenes to speak of. It's all by the numbers, predictable stuff. They should have gotten a better director for this.

Co-signed.

Last edited:
The RLM review pretty much confirms my fears after watching the trailers for this. Last trailer really put me off, so I think I'll just wait for a DL/stream to watch it.

Yeah, obnoxious noises aplenty in this film.

Will Mother! be any competition?

I think the character work was handled much better than the horror elements, but for me that was more important to get right. Having said that I do think there are some scary moments, mainly in quieter scenes that allow for more subtlety. I think it's really telling that one of the scariest visuals in the movie for me was the librarian watching Ben as he read the history book. The librarian doesn't do anything in the scene and yet it's very creepy because of how it's shot with her just in the background. That's the kind of filmmaking I would've liked to have seen more of. Less jumpscares, more atmosphere.

Will Mother! be any competition?

Next weekend there will be two major release in American Assassin and mother!. According to some long range forecasts, AA will open to 14.5 million and mother will open to 11.2 million. I think mother! will open higher. The trailers, TV spots, reviews are going to help the movie to a slightly bigger opening (13 million) while AA is pretty much where it's being projected right nao. So the combined OW of these 2 will be 27.5 million. OTOH, 'IT' will have a softer drop in it's sophomore weekend what with the OW being deflated due to Hurricane Irma and NFL games. So a 2nd weekend drop of (50-53)% looks likely atm. So 'IT's 2nd weekend could be (55.4-57.9) million. 'IT's 2nd weekend is likely gonna be more than double the combined OW of the new openers.

So, mother! most likely won't be a competition for IT.

Sounds like a lot of people who didn't like IT had their expectations too high for the movie. I think this film fits in with the current horror movie fare these days. Lotsa creepy atmosphere and images, over the top funhouse thrills, and a ton of jump scares. Not the stuff that nightmares are made of, but certainly not terrible filmmaking. IT was better than most horror films these days because of the stuff with the kids.

Trust me. Keep your expectations low with today's Hollywood. You'll enjoy it more.

Yeah. As a horror film It is not the scariest thing ever. Imo the movie relied way too much on jump scares (and the first half is just super choppy)... still, it's an intense "adventure" movie about fear, trauma and growing up. I had a real good time.

I personality fruit it relayed heabily in tension which was the great thing about it. Sure it had jump scares but those are fun additions to the tension. It's important to note that there weren't any face jump scares like cats leaping out etc. I personally think IT nailed it.

That might be the most entertaining movie review ever. :hehe:

I saw the same movie they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe