• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

stereotypes

AndThePickles

Kiss the girl
Joined
May 23, 2005
Messages
21,629
Reaction score
10
Points
158
Hey everybody. Out of curiousity, which irritating stereotype have you had the most personal experience with?

For me, I've definitely had bad experiences with blonde stereotypes. Many people who don't know me assume that I'm easy, dumb, etc. I also get people assuming that I'm unapproachable/stuck up (not true at all lol). I especially dislike the whole "blonde white girls are easy" stereotype, it's definitely aggravating at times.
 
I'm Filipino and German therefore I can't drive and I think I'm genetically superior than everyone else.
 
I'm Black and White, therefore I must be oversized in some areas, as well as a good dancer, but I also get a break with the cops and (at least when I was in school) I was a "brainiac." "Oh, you must get the best of both worlds."
 
I pictured you like a checkerboard there for a minute. ;)
 
When co-workers learn that I'm in a rock band,if I'm ever late they always assume that it's because I was out partying too late.:(
 
I'm American, and I live in Europe. So whenever I watch the BBC, I basically have to sit through endless jokes about Americans being uncultured/dumb/materialistic.

Of course, what really bugs me about stereotypes is that they are, unfortunately, usually true (that's where they come from)
 
stereotypes are true to a certain extent.


bumb blondes do exists and are easy.
some black people do eat watermelon and chicken.
some woman cant drive for shnit
etc. of course i do hate when those stereotypes stretch to generalize me in the loop. for instance, i was at the campus book store readinga comic, i went to put it back to the shelf, when the old lady next to me said that she didnt expect people of my kind(im black) to actually put a book back on the shelf after reading it. i was like wtf?
 
TheDevilwithin said:
when the old lady next to me said that she didnt expect people of my kind(im black) to actually put a book back on the shelf after reading it. i was like wtf?
You have got to be kidding!You should've busted a cap in her dome! :mad:
 
Old people never change, that generation will be dead in about 15 years anyway.
 
I shave my head and have a beard. I'm not overly muscley but am quite big and broad-shouldered. I get a lot of people looking at me like some kind of thug. The amount of times I see people cross the road to avoid me really annoys me, it's not like I'm gonna rip anyones head off.
 
it's not a stereotype against people, but i hate it when people say that comic books and sci fi/fantasy movies are lame and for little kids. pisses me of so bad.
 
lupus27 said:
it's not a stereotype against people, but i hate it when people say that comic books and sci fi/fantasy movies are lame and for little kids. pisses me of so bad.

Yeah everyone knows it's for 20 something year old virgins, who live in their parent's basment listening to Zeppelin and eating funions and drinking mountain dew.
 
I am stereotyped as a pissed off, brooding, whack job.....honestly! And in real life I am a loving, kind, personable Christian.

What a bloody difference?! :eek: I must say, I like the brooding part though.
 
Erzengel said:
Yeah everyone knows it's for 20 something year old virgins, who live in their parent's basment listening to Zeppelin and eating funions and drinking mountain dew.

arent you an avid sci-fi lover?
 
TheDevilwithin said:
stereotypes are true to a certain extent.


bumb blondes do exists and are easy.
some black people do eat watermelon and chicken.
some woman cant drive for shnit
etc. of course i do hate when those stereotypes stretch to generalize me in the loop. for instance, i was at the campus book store readinga comic, i went to put it back to the shelf, when the old lady next to me said that she didnt expect people of my kind(im black) to actually put a book back on the shelf after reading it. i was like wtf?

Bumb (wtf?) Brunnettes and Redheads exist too.

Who doesnt like watermelon or chicken?Communists,thats who:mad:

Nor can some men.

;)
 
I get two stereotypes done about me...

Because I'm black, some people think I have to act and talk a certain way. A friend of mine said that I don't "act black" and I said "why, because I talk clearly and use common sense and read books?" and he goes "yeah". And because they some think I automatically know how to dance.

Then because I'm a quiet person who doesn't smile a lot, people think that I'm some psycho with a gun hidden under my jacket and ready to shoot everybody.
 
people assume I like Good Charlotte because I wear black :mad:
 
Wilhelm-Scream said:
When co-workers learn that I'm in a rock band,if I'm ever late they always assume that it's because I was out partying too late.:(

as opossed to playing Starcraft? LOL L0L Zergrush!!!!!!1111!!!!
 
PyroChamber said:
Then because I'm a quiet person who doesn't smile a lot, people think that I'm some psycho with a gun hidden under my jacket and ready to shoot everybody.

You should smile more though. It puts people at ease, and lets people read your 'intentions' better, and easier. It makes you look more personable towards them too.

And as for myself - just once, a well-done gay romance in a comedy and/or action in the mainstream Hollywood, with straight-acting characters.

Not every gay person is like that effeminate, egocentric, screaming flaming, pink-wearing hairstyling queen. :rolleyes:

Or, in 'minor' roles or those used as a subplot, or even worse, as sometime as an important part of the story but don't even kiss or be affectionate with their partner, or anything.

No MORE talks of diseases or the long, arduous 'coming out process' or anything!
 
Well because I'm a tall, blonde, who loves to dance and shop. People perceive me as dumb/dizty, which happens sometimes but I know ALOT more brunettes who are actual idiots. And cause I host a-sort-of news show for my high school, and provide an actual personality on camera, some people see me as far to perky.

When really I'm quite involed in Theater(movies Too!), I love to study physics, and I spend my time reading comics and Stephen King novels. My friends find this weird but they support me anyways!
 
i hate it when my friends ask me about black actors/celebrities simply because i'm black. it's not like i keep a rolodex with all of their names in it. i also hate how whenever it comes to starting a band, everyone suggests that i should either freestyle or beat box; instead of maybe playing an instrument.
 
Well, being a Teddy Bear, I get the whole damn "CUTE 'n CUDDELY" stereotype.

Yes I'm cute. Yes I'm cuddely. But "CUTE 'n CUDDELY"? **** THAT!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"