Suicide Squad 2

Discussion in 'Suicide Squad Sequels' started by Lord, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Lord

Lord All Mighty

Even though the reception is being mostly negative, the film seems to be heading towards strong box-office results. So far, what has been mentioned that it might start being shot in 2017 and that Katana's backstory will probably be explored.

Right now, there seems to be a room for a 2018 release if they want it.

2. Greens

Greens I am Danny DeVito

I'm not so sure about a sequel anymore, and that's not even because of the critical reception.

The way the movie ends... Harley (one of the most popular characters) goes off with the Joker so she's out. I don't see Deadshot (the other popular character/actor) getting stuck in this franchise as opposed to branching out to the Batman side so he's out. At that point, they would have to pick other characters to spearhead the team and I don't know if anyone can live up to Harley and Will Smith.

I think the first movie serves as an acceptable introduction to Joker, Harley, Croc, Waller, Deadshot etc. before they branch out to their respective franchises.

3. Victarion

Victarion Iron Captain

I haven't seen it yet, but I hope they kinda just let Ayer do his thing if there's a sequel to be made.

Could be they make Boomer a more prominent character. In the New 52, it seems like Waller trusts him quite a bit. Plus the New 52 arc has a terrorist leader named Regulus the Snake King running massive concentration camps focused on manufacturing metahumans. It seems like good sequel territory.

4. Lord

Lord All Mighty

I don't see how those are a problem, this is a lead role for Will Smith, who presently lacks a strong film series to attach his name to, and Ben Affleck's Batman solo film doesn't seem to be getting any closer to being released. As for Harley Quinn, that's not very difficult, there are multiple ways to have her back in the team, from having one of its missions being the aprehension of Joker & Harley, or having her already in jail with a flashback to show how she got caught again.

This property has been getting a lot of attention, i don't think the actors or studio are just looking at it as one and done type of thing. The fact that this film beat the opening record of Guardians of the Galaxy says something.

5. Victarion

Victarion Iron Captain

From what I saw in the "No Money, No Honey" clip, I'm gonna love Deadshot's character. Maybe just bring some of the guys that got less focus into the forefront now that Harley's off with Mistah J. I'm certainly game for more Katana - I love characters with soulstealing swords and Killer Croc.

I've heard that
    El Diablo
    doesn't make it out. In the sequel
    I'd bring him back. In the New 52, its been hinted that his powers are infernal in nature, so you could have it like shadow demons drag him back from the netherworld. They won't grant him the peace of death. I'd do something like that.

6. Smilodon

Smilodon Registered

If Affleck wants to pluck Jared and Margot for his film, I say let him. Part of what made this film suffer is that it wanted to tell a twisted story about Joker and HQ and then pussyfooted around it thanks to a variety of reasons. It essentially neutered the film and then made some contrived attempt at getting to the whole "surrogate family" theme without the main conflict. It also made them have to cheaply rely on Flag to carry the big emotions of the film, when he probably wasn't originally intended to.

Of course, if a sequel gets announced and the film does revolve around the retrieval of Harley, I wouldn't be against it. Will Smith can carry the squad. It certainly provides a more reasonable objective for this team to accomplish. But having the SS take on say, another foreign country creating their own meta-human group could be more interesting than having to rely on big Batman villains. Give them more missions, show them interacting with one another, smaller villain, more intimate stakes etc. Develop Katana, Boomerang, Croc and Flag even more - they're compelling in their own right.

One thing I would love to see is Katana take the role of second in command instead of Bronze Tiger since she seems to be the one closest to Flag in this incarnation of the squad. Bring another character or two, be it Bronze Tiger, Vixen, Nightshade etc. Bring in the psychological profiling of these guys and run with it.

7. Victarion

Victarion Iron Captain

Give me Nightshade. I liked her. You can even do a spin on the Jihad group from the comics. Maybe take their mission to Russia issues as inspiration, updating them for the modern times, of course.

8. Jonwo

Jonwo Registered

The thing about Suicide Squad is that you change up the line up so if Harley doesn't return , they could replace her with another Batman villain or someone like Black Manta or Cheetah

I think Deathstroke should appear in a sequel either as a member or who the Squad is after.

9. HighFivingMF

HighFivingMF Welp.

You think Will Smith would bail on his own franchise to be at best a secondary villain in Batman?

I want Denzel Washington as Deathstroke in the sequel, hired to protect whoever they're after for the mission.

10. Batjag

Batjag Registered

I'd love to see Brad Pitt as Deathstroke. Let him be the antagonist in Suicide Squad 2, before getting captured and then being on the team in number 3.

11. LoganGambit87

LoganGambit87 Registered

Brad Pitt For Deathstroke as the villain for SS2
    [​IMG]

12. ajpro

ajpro Registered

SS2 doesn't need world threat, make a story smaller. I remember someone calling Suicide Squad "bad vs. evil" - this premise alone can be developed into a bigger story.

Take Checkmate as some Blackwater-type organization, doing shady stuff in Middle East for Amanda Waller and US government. They put their hands on some fancy tech/virus/serum and do some bad things with it, so Waller sends Squad to clear their base of operations (a small town with military base) "scorched earth" style and secure the macguffin. So now team has to make difficult choices on innocents, while going through waves of more trained and powerful elite fighters like in Raid.

Instead of Rick Flag, make Waller hire Deathstroke as Squad leader (I'm fine with Kinnaman's character and performance, but we need a someone equal to Waller and Slade would be just right). Throw in some new characters - Killer Frost, Bronge Tiger, a few expendables and make a bigger emphasis on character interactions. Can we drop Katana? She doesn't fit within the team in any way and doesn't bring anything interesting, hell, she's not even a "villain".

Speaking of Harley
    I bet that after Batman solo, or supposed Birds Of Prey movie she'll be back in Belle Reve. Or they can make her capture some kind of prelude mission, anyway, it would be stupid for WB to drop their most beloved character.

13. Greenlite

Greenlite Registered

While it's important to develop lesser characters like croc/boomer/katana/flag, it's hard to see WB going ahead with SS2 without Harley, even if she gets her own film, they need someone eye popping to partner up with Will Smith and Harley's perfect, but it's just going to cut into lesser characters' arcs. Maybe they could advertise with Will and Harley/another pop culture character but give good arcs to others, or maybe Will and Flag buddy cop style and devote emotional arcs to others? dont know.

14. harryoscop

harryoscop Registered

Bring in Bane, Catwoman, Captain Cold and Bronze tiger

15. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Spice Mutant

This film made a lot of money in 1 weekend but eh, its not a must for me. Maybe once WB finally released a good DCEU movie then maybe I would want a second chance for a Suicide Squad film.

16. Greenlite

Greenlite Registered

The SS sequel is called SS ultimate edition =P

17. Primal Slayer

Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

They need to use this dtv as inspiration. Improve on it.

18. Tg11

Tg11 Registered

Catwoman definitely needs to be brought into the sequel if not as a member then in a cameo capacity at least will do but as for who should join The Suicide Squad definitely Riddler and Poison Ivy

19. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Even if Harley and Joker are in the Batman movie, just have Harley get caught and imprisoned at the end and she is back for an SS sequel. I wouldn't mind Ayer coming back either but give him more freedom this time. Also make the threat personal instead of a world threat.

Have the team hunting Deathstroke and trying to bring him in, or have him on the team and the whole movie is about them catching Joker and Harley, there are so many places they can go.

20. BlueLanternKal

BlueLanternKal Super-Lex

Here's an idea.

Kasnia's dictator has declared martial law. Despite that a coup d'etat is taking place. Fearing for his life the unambiguously evil dictator brokers a backroom deal with the US gov.

The Suicide Squad goes in hot. Little do they know that the world's greatest assassin Deathstroke is responsible for inciting the coup and is taking advantage of the chaos to get close to his target - the dictator.

While Slade is clearly the antagonist of the film it's becomes increasingly alarming how monstrous the dictator really is. It's eventually revealed that Slade was hired by refugees who were genocidally targeted by said dictator.

Does the Suicide Squad grow a 'conscious' and allow Deathstroke to get his target perhaps at the cost of their lives? Or do they defend a monstrous war criminal?

#20 BlueLanternKal, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  21. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

I think that would be awesome for the sequel :up:. I hope they do something like this, scale it back a little. Plus we need Deathstroke on screen ASAP.

22. BlueLanternKal

BlueLanternKal Super-Lex

Thanks. I think it's a good idea. Suicide Squad is at it's best when it's small scale government stuff and they're dealing with shades of grey. And I agree, Deathstroke needs to happen sooner rather than later.

23. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Yeah I liked the first movie, but I wouldn't mind them going smaller and more personal in the sequel. And yeah Deathstroke is long overdue.

24. Victarion

Victarion Iron Captain

Deathstroke's got a kid with metahuman powers. Waller sends the Squad to retrieve the kid from a Russian base where they're using his powers to build a team of metahumans. In doing so, they incur the wrath of Deathstroke. To get his kid back, Deathstroke saddles up with the Russians' metahuman team and heads to America to deal with Waller and the Squad. Meanwhile, the Squad learns that Waller's using this kid in the same manner as the Russians.

They could use the Jihad from the Ostrander comics as inspiration for the Russian metahumans. We can add some layers to Deathstroke by keeping his distaste for metahumans. Have Deathstroke send the team to wreak havoc, creating a diversion that gives him a clean shot at Waller.

And please keep Ayer. I liked the job he did on the first movie, and I'd hate to lose someone with his talents to bad business decisions from the topdogs at WB.

#24 Victarion, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  25. BlueLanternKal

BlueLanternKal Super-Lex

I'd rather Rose or Jericho (Grant is usually dead and hates his pop) get introduced in a Deathstroke solo instead of being used as a plot device.

If there were a film about Deathstroke looking for or trying to protect Rose I'd really prefer it to be a solo and not in Suicide Squad.