Suicide Squad box office prediction - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
As well as almost every other Nolan picture.

Not surprised about the 13M

I went last night around 9 and my theater was full to the first 3 rows on the bottom. I thought there were going to be way less people, guess not.

Wow I wanted to come to talk about the success of SS and I hear words like underperforming and dissapointing. And doom and gloom for fan reactions going down. I think this board needs a positivity thread as well.

Hmmm. Same as Civil War. Under BvS by 2 mil. Under Deadpool by 6 mil. Under X men Apocalypse by 1 mil.

Make of all that what you will...

Very good hold. Dropped 56% from Sunday. For comparison, GOTG did 11m on a similar August Monday with excellent WOM and dropped 54% from Sunday.

I think it's no secret the general audience is more forgiving than critics and even then audience scores of 65-70 are nothing to write home about, especially for a comic book movie which usually has little trouble pleasing a crowd.

Rotten Tomato "audience" scores include all the "Want to see" that accumulates leading up to the release. I really wish they would separate them.

Yes, but that's always how it's done. So it's still a substantial drop.

This is starting to become a trend imo. These films, including Marvel, are becoming Thurs/Fri heavy. Strong pre-sales are becoming the norm. DC films are in this category already, one just needs look at all films since TDK.

I think an adjustment will need to be made on how we view overall drops from week 1 and 2 going forward. Civil War proves that excellent WOM and critical reception should have resulted in a close to 3x multiplier, it ends at 2.27x. (Man Of Steel territory) No one can say that film had terrible WOM....so, what is it then?

Wow I wanted to come to talk about the success of SS and I hear words like underperforming and dissapointing. And doom and gloom for fan reactions going down. I think this board needs a positivity thread as well.

There is one.

That's a nice number for monday
It might even see a huge bump tomorrow over what GOTG did
seems to generally be holding higher than what GOTG did so far

i think we'll be able to celebrate if it proves resilient this weekend and doesn't drop too much. It'll have to compete against Sausage Fest and Pete's Dragon, both of which are getting good reviews.

If it holds though, we can breathe a sigh of relief. It'll be a sign that people genuinely enjoy this movie despite the critics.

As with BvS, we can't make any firm claims about SS's box office success or otherwise until after the second weekend figures come in. You can interpret current figures either way. So far, SS is echoing BvS to a large degree, so a massive drop could be expected, but it might prove more resilient. We'll see.

As with BvS, we can't make any firm claims about SS's box office success or otherwise until after the second weekend figures come in. You can interpret current figures either way. So far, SS is echoing BvS to a large degree, so a massive drop could be expected, but it might prove more resilient. We'll see.

This I agree with, I'm eagerly anticipating the 2nd weekend BO results and see how it holds up against competition. It could go either way so we'll see what happens.

I think an adjustment will need to be made on how we view overall drops from week 1 and 2 going forward. Civil War proves that excellent WOM and critical reception should have resulted in a close to 3x multiplier, it ends at 2.27x. (Man Of Steel territory) No one can say that film had terrible WOM....so, what is it then?

Recommended viewing before Captain America:Civil War

Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Captain America: The First Avenger
The Avengers
Iron Man 3
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Avengers: Age of Ulton
Ant Man
Extra Credit: Agent Carter Season 1 and 2

I watched Cap with someone who hadn't seen any of the prior MCU films, and after ten minutes or so I gave up trying to catch him up. Just like in the comics, continuity becomes burdensome after a while. Infinity War will likely serve as a refresh as sorts for the MCU, and if the DCEU continues along its path WB will need to do the same thing sometime in the future.

i think we'll be able to celebrate if it proves resilient this weekend and doesn't drop too much. It'll have to compete against Sausage Fest and Pete's Dragon, both of which are getting good reviews.

If it holds though, we can breathe a sigh of relief. It'll be a sign that people genuinely enjoy this movie despite the critics.

Collider just gave sausage party a less than stellar review
Pete's Dragon could be big like Jungle Book I'm not the demo that will go to see that movie though
If Suicide Squad manages to stay #1 throughout August that will go a long way

Recommended viewing before Captain America:Civil War

Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Captain America: The First Avenger
The Avengers
Iron Man 3
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Avengers: Age of Ulton
Ant Man
Extra Credit: Agent Carter Season 1 and 2

I watched Cap with someone who hadn't seen any of the prior MCU films, and after ten minutes or so I gave up trying to catch him up. Just like in the comics, continuity becomes burdensome after a while. Infinity War will likely serve as a refresh as sorts for the MCU, and if the DCEU continues along its path WB will need to do the same thing sometime in the future.

Watching those prior movies help, but Civil War explained the story pretty well via Secretary Ross' speech that give everyone up to speed of what's going on. I don't think it's a big factor.

This is starting to become a trend imo. These films, including Marvel, are becoming Thurs/Fri heavy. Strong pre-sales are becoming the norm. DC films are in this category already, one just needs look at all films since TDK.

There's a definite argument to be had that there's some Marvel fatigue setting in, given CW's drop and low multiplier.

This is what makes it doubly annoying that DC aren't putting out good enough material to really exploit that potential waning interest in the rather convoluted and ongoing Marvel universe story arcs.

Gitesh Pandya ‏@GiteshPandya

Hefty $13.1M MON for #SuicideSquad going to about $175M in 1st full week, cracking $200M on SAT. Possible $225M+ after 2nd wknd.

just hoping it makes more than $700mil ww.

Exaggerate much? Name them.

Interstellar at 8.6 and Prestige as high as Memento at 8.5? Sorry, maybe it's just personal taste but Memento is superior to both.

But even most of them are really high on IMDB. Nolan's movies rate between 8.3 - 9.0.

All of them are higher than the Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind. While I do understand there's going to be a generational thing here, I don't think there's another director who has ALL his movies ranked that high.

Last edited:
Interstellar at 8.6 and Prestige as high as Memento at 8.5? Sorry, maybe it's just personal taste but Memento is superior to both.

But even most of them are really high on IMDB. Nolan's movies rate between 8.3 - 9.0.

All of them are higher than the Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind. While I do understand there's going to be a generational thing here, I don't think there's another director who has ALL his movies ranked that high.

What has that got to do with fans threatening a critic on RT?

Nothing. :huh:

I was talking about the inflation of IMDB numbers.

Collider just gave sausage party a less than stellar review
Pete's Dragon could be big like Jungle Book I'm not the demo that will go to see that movie though
If Suicide Squad manages to stay #1 throughout August that will go a long way

I didn't even remember Pete's Dragon was happening until people started mentioning it as competition for Suicide Squad. Disney seems to have abandoned it, marketing wise.

The commercials are on all the time during the Olympics.

Then again Disney seems to be pushing Strange and Rogue One as well too.

I didn't even remember Pete's Dragon was happening until people started mentioning it as competition for Suicide Squad. Disney seems to have abandoned it, marketing wise.

Not really, they haven't at all. Commercials for it run all day long and ad-wise it's number one for this week in terms of how much Disney has been spending.

13.1 million Monday is a great number civil war made the same on its first Monday and civil war had a good 45 million more Opening Weekend than Suicide Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"