Suicide Squad: General Discussion and Speculation - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 29

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite all the negativity surrounding the DCEU, its refreshing seeing those involved having such a good time.

I'm a woman, and I wouldn't be offended by scenes of the Joker abusing Harley. It would be true to her origins. I do get the feeling that the ruckus caused by that one poster from Xmen: Apocalpse of Mystique getting strangled has made filmmakers go weak on such topics. I'm all for women's rights, but to make such issues taboo would be to disrespect women who actually live through such things.

That being said though, I hear Harley's personality has changed a lot over the comics and games. I haven't followed that closely, so I'm willing to give this Harley the benefit of the doubt that she's still faithful to some version of her in the comics. I just prefer the more victimized, abused Harley from the animated series. Not because I'm a sadist, but because it makes her story just a bit deeper.

Also a woman, and I don't have a problem with scenes of the Joker abusing Harley, but I would have a problem if it was presented as romanticized. Abuse in and of itself is something that happens in real life, and if it is part of a character's story, then by all means, show it. But, there is a line where it becomes fetishized that can be crossed way too easily. I have no idea where the SS version of their story falls, but I also don't really have great confidence in WB to tread lightly on those issues, so maybe it is better that they made cuts, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"