Supergirl Supergirl Costume Discussion Thread

SupergirlJLU.png

I say the classic "Helen Slater" style with some "modern" fabrics and so forth is the only way to go.

:up:

rexfeatures_610086a.jpg

Last edited:
I'd be fine with either the MOS-esque/Smallville comics look or a modern take on the Helen Slater skirt look. As long as it's not that swimsuit/leotard look that she has in the New-52. Could you even get away with something like that on CBS?

Last edited:
Could you even get away with something like that on CBS?

I don't see why not.

I mean, it wouldn't really look good, but it's not like there are nips showing or anything. :o

I was dreading this thread,since I knew I'd have to contend with the usual "She needs to wear pants" crowd. Hopefully TPTB pay as much attention to them as the BVS producers did.

I say the classic "Helen Slater" style with some "modern" fabrics and so forth is the only way to go.

Careful, fellow kryptonian Faora didn't wear a skirt. WW is different for obvious reasons: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazons

So just in case, get ready for another way to go. :woot:

Lets not forget that Captain Marvel Carol Danvers has a more badass and practical suit nowadays, sexy suits that make the bearer look like a model or worse are just dumb. If some fanboys need sexy suits and boob windows to be happy, it doesn't speak well of themselves.

Comparing Wonder Woman's and Supergirl's costumes doesn't make the latter's traditional getup look any less ridiculous/off putting (to me). A battle skirt that has historical, real world precedence and a piece of cloth that fulfills more or less the same aesthetic function are two different things.

Seeing as how she's a super GIRL...

Is there a reason she couldn't have multiple looks/outfits?

Girl/Woman/man what difference does it make? I wouldn't mind multiple outfits (i loved that all of YJ had multiple costumes depending on the climate) but they don't like to put all that money into that. Just like they rarely bother with it in the comics.

The producers describing the costume as "awesome" and raving about its creation and such makes me leery. I imagine it'll be something largely, if not entirely, unique.

I'd love an update of the Slater costume though. Add in some distinguishing features that play more on the 'alien' origin.

I don't know. The WB costumes so far have been by and large pretty on the mark. I can't think of any I thought of as "What were they thinking?!?" So I'm guessing they aren't looking to re-invent the wheel with this.

Careful, fellow kryptonian Faora didn't wear a skirt. WW is different for obvious reasons: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazons

So just in case, get ready for another way to go. :woot:

Lets not forget that Captain Marvel Carol Danvers has a more badass and practical suit nowadays, sexy suits that make the bearer look like a model or worse are just dumb. If some fanboys need sexy suits and boob windows to be happy, it doesn't speak well of themselves.

None of which should apply to Supergirl. I frankly hated the bare midriff costume. The biggest challenge it seems these days,is getting fanboys on board with (gasp!) bare legs. Supergirl needs a skirt. Her costume is basically a variation on the typical cheerleader outfit highschool girls have been wearing for decades and it should stay that way.

Just right, although I do like the blue skirt over the red. The cape adds plenty of red and hits just the right color balance imo

In fact, could someone do a blue skirt version of this second image?

None of which should apply to Supergirl. I frankly hated the bare midriff costume. The biggest challenge it seems these days,is getting fanboys on board with (gasp!) bare legs. Supergirl needs a skirt. Her costume is basically a variation on the typical cheerleader outfit highschool girls have been wearing for decades and it should stay that way.

Don't feed the troll. That guy is incapable of posting without deriding people he disagrees with.

The nice thing about Supergirl is that she doesn't need armor or anything like that due to her relative invulnerability. Given this, wearing a skirt is more believable (I'm also OK with Wonder Woman's movie costume for this because that resembles Greek armor). Now I'm also not saying it's absolutely required, though.

I'd rather she wear shorts than a skirt. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I understand approving of the aesthetic and/or wanting to respect the character's visual iconography, but I honestly can't believe the skirt has so much support behind it. It just looks so...I don't know. Unprofessional, maybe? Like, I can't imagine why any serious and self-respecting heroine would want to wear a (normal) skirt into battle.

But I don't want to sound like I'm talking down to or unfairly criticizing anybody who likes the look, so if it's your cup of tea, that's totally fine. And it's possible, if the rationale is strong enough, I can be persuaded to like it too.

I'd rather she wear shorts than a skirt. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I understand approving of the aesthetic and/or wanting to respect the character's visual iconography, but I honestly can't believe the skirt has so much support behind it. It just looks so...I don't know. Unprofessional, maybe? Like, I can't imagine why any serious and self-respecting heroine would want to wear a (normal) skirt into battle.

But I don't want to sound like I'm talking down to or unfairly criticizing anybody who likes the look, so if it's your cup of tea, that's totally fine. And it's possible, if the rationale is strong enough, I can be persuaded to like it too.

biker shorts with skirt

I think the kind of costume Kara wears will have a lot to do with the kind of outfits she chooses to wear on a daily basis at her 'civilian' job for CatCo. If she's a 'pants' girl while at work, I think her superheroine costume will have pants, but if she's a 'skirts/dresses' girl, I think her costume will have a skirt.

Nah, it's cool. There's a big diff in presenting a different opinion, and talking down to people or insulting them over it.

If they wanted to establish continuity with the movie ‘verse (or just tease the possibility) then the costume would be MOS’s Kryptonian “chainmail” unitard. Not conspicuously exploitative - yet reasonably fetching. (Faora certainly looked fine. :word:)

They're not tying this show to the movieverse,so it's extremely doubtful her costume will have anything in common with the MOS ones. So the League for Decency in Female Super Hero Costumes will still need to be concerned. :o

Speaking of sexy costumes, this article about Power Girl is a must read: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/01/21/finally-a-solution-to-power-girls-costume/

Some fans are not going to be happy, but I think she looks better with the :super:, problem solved!

pMg7Kv4.jpg

And the writer's explanation:

Power Girl has been a character who has drawn criticism for her costume, and the unnecessary cleavage window. Can you speak to the symbolism of covering that up, and closing the cleavage window? Is that an important contribution to this character?

Daniel H. Wilson: I think it is important she puts the symbol on. Superman doesn’t have a window so we can see his pectoral muscles in his shirt, and she is taking on the mantle of Superman. So I think it makes sense the window be replaced. It conveys the message she has taken on his responsibilities. Also, I think a lot of people will have a lot of different opinions about this. I look forward to seeing what the fans think.

What do you think that breakdown will be between people who support covering her up versus the fans that say you’re changing a beloved character?

Daniel H. Wilson: I can completely understand people who are attached to a character, see a change like this and get upset. But she’s evolving as a character over time. That’s what makes this fun and worth writing. Characters change over time, and I think she’s a more interesting one to me having this shield. [laughs] I’m trying and failing to not piss anyone off here. But that’s going to be inevitable!

http://www.blastr.com/2015-1-22/earth-2-worlds-end-16-power-girl-becomes-superman

I'm wondering if they will use Power Girl in the first season since they're not wasting time using many DC characters in The Flash. Maybe in the second half of the season or showing her arrival in the finale as a cool cliffhanger. :wow:

She looks good with the S! but I doubt they will use PG anytime soon, she is an alternate Kara and for her to show up so early, would just not be good.

I was dreading this thread,since I knew I'd have to contend with the usual "She needs to wear pants" crowd. Hopefully TPTB pay as much attention to them as the BVS producers did.

I'd definitely like something like Slater's costume. I've always thought that looks the most classic and graceful. I don't want her wearing pants as the skirt is the more iconic look.

She looks good with the S! but I doubt they will use PG anytime soon, she is an alternate Kara and for her to show up so early, would just not be good.

Well, with the Flash they're using his best villain in the first season and also the Rogues, so maybe Berlanti will use the same approach (which may not be ideal, but that's another topic). Anyway, hopefully they will use enough interesting characters so the procedural aspect doesn't drag the show down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"