Supergirl INTERVIEWS 2016 SDCC, TV, Radio, Print: Discussion

Looks like you will be getting an 80's comic book flashback thanks to this pic to which I will explain (and do a Winn Schott impersonation as well)

Meet Jake Hamilton, who works for Good Day Chicago on WFLD Fox 32 (sort of like NYC's WNYW Good Day New York). Now why am i posting something from a Fox station? Well Mr. Hamilton who had an interview with our lovely Melissa posted on his Twitter...

CrOiQxMVMAAogLN.jpg

In case you're wondering why a FOX reporter is covering CW shows: The CW is moving to our sister station, WPWR-TV!

WOW Melissa looks even more gorgeous than ever. Mr. Hamilton I am jealous!

Anyway this news has been going on over the last few months since the CW decided to leave Tribune-owned powerhouse WGN-TV 9, WPWR which is co-owned with 'FLD becomes the CW station and thus the new home of Supergirl.

And as for meeting with Melissa, he tweeted

Today. Was. AWESOME. I had a blast hanging with @MelissaBenoist on the set of @TheCWSupergirl!

He also told a follower on Twitter he watched a scene being filmed, but had to remain hush hush about what it was about.

By the way, for WFLD-TV this is their 50th year on air. They began in 1966 owned by Field Communications (hence their call letters). They served as major competition for WGN-TV despite being on UHF channel 32 (first at 2,500,000 then 5,000,000 watts from the John Hancock building). Their studios were first at the iconic Marina City towers, which look like giant standing corn cobs. They are now located on N. Michigan Avenue. Field would sell WFLD and 4 other stations (one sadly in Philly WKBS, went off forever in 1983) to various companies. WFLD went to Metromedia, which eventually meant ownership by Fox Television Stations.

And as for Supergirl's connection with Chicago. When the 1980's Daring New Adventures of Supergirl comic came out, Linda Danvers had moved to Chicago.

Oh and Kelly...Jake Hamilton went to The University of Houston!

By the way, Jake has a YouTube Channel, and he said he will put up the chat with Melissa on it. He also talked to Grant "The Flash" Gustin.

And Melissa also took time to talk to another entertainment reporter...Hilary Kennedy of CW 33 KDAF in Dallas.

CrRoWDkW8AE6BDE.jpg

She posted on her Instagram

@supergirlcw has the right idea-when you can't decide what to wear, why not put on your cape and make the world a better place? ❤️ @melissabenoist was a kind, fun interview in the middle of her crazy busy day-watch the new season of #supergirl this fall!

And on Twitter

Not only is @MelissaBenoist incredibly kind & beautiful, she brings @TheCWSupergirl to life with her joyful spirit!

But that's something we already know. :ilv:

Entertainment Weekly sits down with Tyler Hoechlin

On landing the Superman role:

“Honestly, it was the strangest thing — there wasn’t an audition,” Hoechlin tells EW. “I had a great meeting with [executive producers] Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg [in June]. I had been told that the meeting would have something to do with Supergirl, but nothing really specific. Halfway through, they brought up the idea of introducing Superman to the show and asked if I’d be interested. I said, ‘Yeah, absolutely. I’m obviously a fan.’ I believe that was on a Monday. On Friday, we got a call with the offer, so it was very quick. It was very flattering, and I wish every job came about that way.”

There are some pictures coming out of Melissa Benoist giving an interview to the Italian Vanity Fair magazine.

Here are two of them

14099306_295043790867974_1967489438_n.jpg

W:hrt:W CHE BELLA!

I can't publish the interview b/c it's in Italian (my heritage language), but from reading it and trying to translate it she talks about things from beauty and fashion to Supergirl of course the US election (will not comment though tempted to given Hollywood's progressive left turn!).

She also talks briefly about Ayaan Hirsi Ali, the Somali-born Dutch-American activist, author, and former Dutch politician who calls for a reformation of Islam, which treats women like third rate citizens.

Yeah, I've been trying to find a full translation of the article. She and I have very similar political views, would be an interesting read. As far as Ayaan Hirsi Ali, unfortunately for her she has been used quite often as a mouth piece for the far right in slamming Islam.

Melissa talked to W magazine some time ago, but yet some new material is showing up. Starting with this YouTube video of the Supergirl star talking about many things from Joni Mitchell, to her SG outfit to Gene Kelly.

[YT]E3amW-aFnFU[/YT]

And then there is this

14334246_196222144131928_886661023_n.jpg

The W in this case stands for W :hrt: W!

EDIT: Now in General Discussion.

Last edited:
Superman Tyler Hoechlin gives some Super love to his co-star in this EW article

Here is the section in question

What has it been like working with Melissa?

It’s been incredible. She’s so talented. I’ve known her for a couple of years through her husband, he and I did a film together [Everybody Wants Some!!]. She’s just the sweetest person. It’s so great to see someone, who’s embodying that character, be able to not disappoint when little kids come up to meet her. They just have the biggest smiles on their faces, and she’s so great with them. She’s an incredibly talented actor. It’s funny, I remember the first day, we were doing a scene, it was Clark and Kara, and even in the rehearsals, and almost through the first take, I found myself watching just how endearing she was with the character that it almost made me laugh. I had to realize that I’m working now, we’re rolling, I have to hone in on what my character would be responding to! She’s such a great actor, so it’s been an absolute blast to work with her.

Bold--that comes as no surprise. The kids love Melissa and somehow I think she is the biggest kid at heart when she can be. But as we have seen in some past interviews she can turn on the glamour as well.

I’m guessing that adult beverages were served at this event. :word:

That interview is from Washington's CW station on channel 50 with the interesting call letters WDCW or DCW50, which is a Tribune-owned station.

Basically it's

Washington DC's CW station.

According to their Wikipedia page the station has had 4 past names

WGSP (1972--mostly a test pattern but not much)

WCQR (1981–1985 airing a subscription TV service at night and live pictures of Washington, D.C. from above its broadcast tower during the daytime)

WFTY (1985–1995--most of its time that time was as a third rate independent to WDCA-20 and WTTG-5, but as Fox began to take over 5, WFTY picked up some of their cartoons from the AM as their Fox Morning News began.)

WBDC-TV (1995–2006 that's the time when the WB took over and stayed until the change to CW in 2006)

And hardly a surprise...

If you had to choose, at the end of the day, who is your favorite Superman?
I just have to go with Chris Reeve. I think you have to. He was so spot on with it. I feel like I would have to doubt myself if I went with anybody else.

:supes: And a lot of people would agree.

Here is the section in question

Bold--that comes as no surprise. The kids love Melissa and somehow I think she is the biggest kid at heart when she can be. But as we have seen in some past interviews she can turn on the glamour as well.

It would seem from those last few questions that he would be open to reprising the character down the line. That made me smile :yay:

Clark is only slated to stick around for a few episodes, but are there plans to have you come back?
You know, I don’t know. I know that’s a big discussion between Warner Brothers and Berlanti, so those are all decisions left up to people that have much different jobs than I. I let them handle that and we’ll see where it goes and what happens next, but for the time being, I’ll have to wait and see.

Any chance of your Superman getting his own show?
You never know. Like I said, those are decisions of people in a much different place than I. It’s been a few years since Superman’s really been sticking around on TV for a long time, and who knows what they’ll end up doing and what they’ll want to do. There’s obviously so much going on with this Superman character in the world of DC and the films, and so who knows what they’ll want to do. But it’s fun to be doing it for what it is right now, and if something else comes out of it in the future, then that’s something they’ll let us know down the road. I’m just very excited for what the situation is at the moment.

That interview is from Washington's CW station on channel 50 with the interesting call letters WDCW or DCW50, which is a Tribune-owned station.

Basically it's

Washington DC's CW station.

According to their Wikipedia page the station has had 4 past names

WGSP (1972--mostly a test pattern but not much)

WCQR (1981–1985 airing a subscription TV service at night and live pictures of Washington, D.C. from above its broadcast tower during the daytime)

WFTY (1985–1995--most of its time that time was as a third rate independent to WDCA-20 and WTTG-5, but as Fox began to take over 5, WFTY picked up some of their cartoons from the AM as their Fox Morning News began.)

WBDC-TV (1995–2006 that's the time when the WB took over and stayed until the change to CW in 2006)

Informative. But mainly, I was suggesting that Carter was drunk. :cwink:

It would seem from those last few questions that he would be open to reprising the character down the line. That made me smile :yay:
It’s interesting how Hoechlin characterizes the possibility of his return. Typically, it would be about fan reaction or ratings. But in this case, it seems to be about negotiations between Berlanti and WB - suggesting a quasi-embargo or TV/movie “limited truce” with respect to the Superman character.

In my view this “issue” (such as it is) became moot the moment a second live-action Superman was authorized and cast. The train has left the station; if the ratings are good, let Hoechlin be Supes.

It’s interesting how Hoechlin characterizes the possibility of his return. Typically, it would be about fan reaction or ratings. But in this case, it seems to be about negotiations between Berlanti and WB - suggesting a quasi-embargo or TV/movie “limited truce” with respect to the Superman character.

In my view this “issue” (such as it is) became moot the moment a second live-action Superman was authorized and cast. The train has left the station; if the ratings are good, let Hoechlin be Supes.

Couldn't have put it better myself :up:

It’s interesting how Hoechlin characterizes the possibility of his return.

This is interesting as well, and I know someone brought it up earlier:

How has being cast as Superman changed your daily life? Is there more dieting and working out?
Definitely changed the workout routine and the diet routine. Thankfully it was more of a putting weight on situation, so I’ve just been able to eat anything that I wanted, which has been incredible. I will say endless amounts of Chinese food with fried rice. Boneless wings have been incredible. Pizza, definitely a lot of pizza. Those have been the ones where I don’t go crazy with them, now it’s whenever wherever. If it’s there, I’m good to have a little bit, so that’s always been my favorite. That’s been one of my favorite parts of this so far, so I’m enjoying it while I can.

Don't know if this will be much substance, but Tyler Hoechlin today was interviewed on the PIX 11 Morning News on New York's WPIX-TV 11. And, interviewers Dan Mannarino and Sukanya Krishnan made mention of the fact that the building where WPIX is located on East 42nd Street was used as The Daily Planet in the 1978 film Superman.

[YT]luObV_5bCpM[/YT]

WARNING...the interview also includes a look into the sequel to "Fifty Shades of Grey" so viewer discretion advised.

Trivia...WPIX signed on in 1948. The call letters come from the slogan of the newspaper that founded the station, The New York Daily News, "New York's Picture Newspaper". PIX is short for picture. WPIX's studios and offices have been located in the Daily News Building (alternatively called "11 WPIX Plaza") in Midtown Manhattan. The Daily News and PIX are owned now by different outlets, with PIX being owned by Tribune.

And as a matter of fact, Tyler took this picture in front of the famed globe in the lobby of the building.

14562025_1818231825122644_2526808476613607424_n.jpg

By the way, WPIX used to air the George Reeves TV show as seen by this remake of a slide seen on the Facebook page WPIX Archives, which is a look at the rich history of New York's television station.

13603616_1831566157087881_3107853547710482937_o.jpg

The logo in this picture was created in 1969 the same year the World Trade Center was constructed. PIX 11's current logo is based on that logo. It was brought back in 1985 after WPIX had the popular and unforgettable "11 Alive" campaign from 1975-85. I have grown up watching 11 for many years of my life. And in a way I am glad there is a Supergirl/Superman connection

Last edited:
None of them really contain a whole lot of anything....maybe Jeremy's a little....since it has footage from THIS SEASON.... Chyler and Mehcad is pretty much all about last season....

None of them really contain a whole lot of anything....maybe Jeremy's a little....since it has footage from THIS SEASON.... Chyler and Mehcad is pretty much all about last season....

I suspect that won't be the case should they post interviews with the EPs, David, Tyler, or Melissa. Just there as a precaution, but I'll edit the post.

Here's the interview Jake Hamilton of WFLD Fox 32 Chicago did with Melissa Benoist a few weeks ago. And in it she is asked if she could use Supergirl's powers

It would be for chores. And we find out Melissa is a bit of a NEAT FREAK!

She's also asked about crossovers. Wait till you see her answer.

And for those who love Melissa's laugh, you will get your fill. Oh and wait till the end...something awkard becomes great.

[YT]qf8NdVj_hmc[/YT]

Another Melissa interview. This is the one with Leanne Aguilera of ET. This is a very fun and cute one...and Melissa has never looked any cuter!

When asked about working with Tyler Hoechlin as Clark/Superman

"He is so fun and he's so easy to work with. Tyler kind of is Superman. He's just inherently good inside and out and we have the best time," she says. "We would have these moments where he would trip over something and I'd stumble my words, and he would look at me and be like, 'People should just be rolling on us right now because we are so ridiculous!' Like we are Clark and Kara."

Sounds like good chemistry to me.

She was also asked about the crossover.

When asked who she's most excited to see Kara share a scene with, Benoist is quick with her reply. "I think the relationship between Oliver and Kara will be hilarious," she says. "I just feel like there is going to be so much room to have misunderstandings there. And I am really excited to work with Caity Lotz -- she is a badass."

As seen in this photo, I think that excitement is confirmed

14517591_1116699951712785_6650383425170977938_n.jpg

Oh, baby!

Speaking of badasses...

Benoist's on-screen sister, Chyler Leigh, will be stepping up her DEO fighting skills as Alex Danvers. "She is more than a badass!" Benoist gushes. "She's my heart."

And even though Chyler is not seen in the video, who can ever forget this picture (From Leann's Twitter)

CqgJFrpVUAARs2O.jpg

The feels!

Further on the relationship between the super sibs...

The 28-year-old actress spilled that the fan-favorite relationship between the Danvers sisters is only going to get stronger in season two. "It's only going to grow. I think it's the most important relationship on the show," Benoist says. "We are exploring every facet of sisterhood: how women support each other, and how they understand each other. How they communicate, how they love, and how they fight. You are just going to see more and more of that and it's really fulfilling to play those scenes."

So far nothing has been shown on ET's YouTube page. The video is on the page on the link posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"